data-csrf="1711722926,8e4721e9d152b4ac89732f4054c8970c" Recommend clothing? | As Real As It Gets

Recommend clothing?

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
Going on a DIY AK Caribou hunt in August with my son and wanted to get informed opinions on best clothing combos. I’m thinking no cotton, breathable, layerable, durable and lightweight.

Recommendations?

Thanks,

John

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
Maryland, wishing it was TX
i've always been partial to patagonia's base layers. probably because they were available and free (grin). typically I'll have those under the polartec waffle shirt/skivvies they issue us, and then a set of the flame-resistant OCPs as they are rayon and ripstop and tend to dry out pretty fast.

if more water resistance is needed, i've got goretex outer layers. they also have the capability of layering more underneath them, though I've not yet needed to.

That may change in November when I hit up Alberta though (grin).

Socks i just wear wool/poly blend boot socks. They do the trick.

Though in fairness I haven't bought hunting clothing in.........shit 20 years? damn near 20 years now. benefits of being an international man of mystery (grin)

JIMMY 808

Oct 10, 2011
Stanly long Jon’s
Wranglers
Home made sweeter
Ball cap
And most importantly face hat.

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
Just a DIY hunt, likely off Steese and/or Taylor highways. Completely new to us, so we are going to listen to the migration reports, get as close as we can by truck then backpack from there, not staying out more than a couple of days at a time.

John

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Roger. The one thing I would make sure you have is a headnet that will stop mosquitos. They can be a real mother in august, and butchering an animal without a headnet in bad bugs is about enough to make you lose your mind.

Some decent raingear will be nice. Impertech or something like the marmot precip will be plenty - this is the interior, not SE. :) It will likely be hot a good portion of the time if you are hunting august. Something that allows some airflow would be nice, and if you are wearing poly, a few sets. You'll be pretty stinky pretty quick.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Calling for nearly 1.5" of rain today and it's going sideways enough,to not feel good...at ALL.(grin)

No matter how,what,when or where,layers is your friend...................

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
Using military issue synthetic silkies and waffles in case it gets cool. Got some Bean guide pants for daily outer wear and military issue Gore-Tex rain top and bottom in case it gets wet. Have a Cabeleas synthetic/wool blend vest and a synthetic fleece jacket. Got my military issue Boonie hat for use with mosquito net. If nothing else, I’ll learn something.😁

John