data-csrf="1711628289,6865dc95bce4fd2fc1337fecb85e3a7a" Another Beanland Masterpiece | As Real As It Gets

Another Beanland Masterpiece

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
Bighorn Origin
#3 Bartlein 5R chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, finished at 24”
McMillan Adjustable Game Scout in Desert Carbon Ambush
Triggertech Diamond
APA Bottom Metal
Bighorn 20 MOA rail
SWFA rings
Bushnell 3-12 LRTSi
Flush cups on left side.

Load development was easy. Wind was unusually calm so I decided to do it at 500. Not picky at all. Biggest group of the day was the 130gr Berger AR Hybrids at .632 MOA. Best was 42gr H4350 behind the Berger 140gr Elite Hunter. That went .498 MOA. Five 5-shot groups with 5 different loads averaged .555 MOA at 500 yards. Taking this one for Caribou in a couple of weeks.

John

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Looks pretty solid from here. What did you do for chamber specs and especially freebore...or didja just go SALAMI.

Thoughts on the 3-12x version verse the 4.5-18 in LRTSi?..................

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
The match gun Jon put together for me shoots so well I just told him to use the same reamer on this one. Pretty sure it’s a SAAMI reamer. While I like being able to kiss the lands, and I can with some bullets, both rifles seem to shoot very well regardless.

Before this 3-12 LRTSi I had a 3-12 LRHS. They never made the 3-12 LRHS with an illuminated reticle and I never really cared for the donut in the G2H. Also thought the subtensions were a little fine for use at lower powers but at least the bold parts of the reticle allowed you to easily bracket close targets at low magnification. The milling portion of the LRTSi’s G3 reticle does not stand out as well as the bold portions of the G2 or G2H reticle. Can’t say why I don’t notice this as much with my 4.5-18. Perhaps it’s because the subtensions are a little bolder on the illuminated versions and at 4.5x, bold enough to see well. At 3x though, it’s a little fine. Fortunately, the illumination on the LRTSi is well executed (on both the 3-12 and the 4.5-18) and on its highest setting visible in bright daylight even at low magnification so close quick targets are still doable. The 3-12 is noticeably shorter and aesthetically just a better fit on a hunting weight rifle. Like all the LRHS/LRTS I’ve had, tracking and reliability have been excellent so far, as is the glass. I prefer the positive zero stop on the LRTS to mushy shims and I like the 10 mil/rev turrets. The turrets are extremely tactile and I appreciate that. Only the SHV F1 I previously had, had better feeling turrets. Compared to SS scopes the elevation travel is limited but then elevation travel on everything is limited compared to an SS. My 3-12 has about 17.5 left using a 20 MOA rail. I could get a little back by going with more inclination but haven’t seen the need. The LRTSi is not the perfect scope but for me it has come closer than any I’ve found so far.

John

Last edited:

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
I picked the best charge from my 500 yard load development and put 5 rounds on paper at 100 today to make sure I had a good zero. Wind was gusting hard and bench was really wobbly or it would have been better. Made a .1 adjustment and reset the zero indicator. Battery ran out on my chronograph so I made a guess on velocity and took it to 820 to use the velocity truing function on Ballistic AE. Group was 4.5” low at 820 so I put that in Ballistic AE and it determined true velocity was 2790. Fired one more group at 820 using 2790 velocity and it was centered on aiming point. I think we’re ready for Caribou.

John

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The G3 is much better for me too,than the G2.

Given the AICS flavored DBM,kissing the SALAMI throat is a breeze,even with 147's...if you go binderless...................

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
Haven’t tried binderless. Having a hard time getting away from magpuls. They just feed so smooth. Saw that Ruger is making a semi flush 3 round polymer. Gonna give those a try on this hunting rig.

Where do you source your binderless mags?

John

Joshf303

Dec 24, 2014
Haven’t tried binderless. Having a hard time getting away from magpuls. They just feed so smooth. Saw that Ruger is making a semi flush 3 round polymer. Gonna give those a try on this hunting rig.

Where do you source your binderless mags?

John
Accurate Mags

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
Got the Ruger semi-flushes out of the mailbox today. They’re about 1/4” proud of Flush but rifle is still carryable under the magazine. Three round capacity. They feed fine. Max OAL appears to be the same as a Pmag but they don’t appear to be nearly as stout. Kinda flexible if you squeeze them. Probably worth the $24 Brownells charges for them.

John