data-csrf="1711653598,de8c930af28bd24a1f390e6290bd2721" 10/22 blue print | As Real As It Gets

10/22 blue print

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Everyone is going vudoo or anschutz but I have a 10/22 itch (and budget)

I’ve got an old model aluminum trigger group donor on hand and I’m eyeing a used Hogue stock locally.

I’m not planning matches just plinking and ground squirrels.

Are any of the budget bull barrels worth the $130-150?

What parts do you recommend upgrading for the action and trigger?

Thanks

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
It's not what you asked, but the Hogue stock feels good and fits well, but is a total noodle. I'd go Boyd's.
I've heard a lot of mixed messages on Green Mountain barrels, but my small sample in LR and HMR have been amazing.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Thanks for the feedback.

What are the “have to have” Kidd parts? In other words where is the point of diminishing returns on upgrades?

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
My sample of one from Kidd is an Ultra LW fluted barrel and a "trigger kit". Very happy with both, but nothing else from them like a heavy barrel or full trigger unit to compare.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'd get a simplistic Kidd .920" 16" S/S spout and their lightest single stage trigger,with shortest mag release.

Then you are there.

I can drive a Hogue there..............

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
I've got a 16" stainless Clerke bull with KIDD single-stage, in a Hogue and wouldn't change a thing except the mag release. If I were shopping today, I'd get the KIDD stainless bull as Stick mentioned.

Bought the extended mag release (med), and have dropped mags (10 rd.) beating brush. The 15 rd. seems to protect the release, but normally stick to 10 rd.

All that to say that I'd rather have the Sportsman release (low/flat). Just need to order one.

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
A note on the KIDD single-stage.

I have the trigger set with a ton of over-travel. People keep telling me that they need a solid "wall", until they shoot that rifle :grin:

It breaks clean and there is nothing to mess up follow thru, even for the kids or beginners.

Getting the trigger set that way wasn't easy, as I don't think it was meant for it. Pull weight seems quite a bit lower though.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
It's hard to go wrong with anything KIDD makes. Also, there are a metric shit ton of stock options for a 10/22. I've got everything from Boyd's and Hogue's to HS Precision and McMillan's.

If you're looking for a chassis, the PMACA is hard to beat.

Keep an eye on the RFC classifieds if you're looking to buy used. You can pick up anything and everything you will want...but be quick...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Spill your guts.

I set my triggers up to shorten reset and overtravel...so I can play any tune I wish,depending upon mag size..............

jack mountain

Feb 6, 2014
VA
I have Kidd barrels and single stage triggers on both of mine.
Lapua6547 on the 'fire classifieds has a fedderson .920 barrel for $130. Says it's a shooter.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Just in case you're looking, Whitakkers has a used Volquartsen stainless in laminate for $850...

Course you could probably pick up a slip fit KIDD Classic for the same coin or a little less.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Thanks for the heads up!
I’ve got a beater donor already and I’m looking forward to the process of chasing parts and piecing it together.

I’m leaning towards a Green Mountain 18” and having Brimstone tune my trigger for $80 and see where I end up for ~$250. Spend the “savings” on ammo.

Nail

Feb 8, 2008
Mississippi
Big Stick said:
Just buy the Kidd and don't even fuck around.

They are THAT fucking good..................
Toldja so....grin

Nimrod, I would gladly pay the $200 for a KIDD and still feel like I was cheating. If you are patient though you can catch them on sale from time to time.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
You guys are making it difficult for me to be cheap. :grin:

A coworker let me borrow his worked over 10/22 with a 20” Green Mountain and Sightron 3-9. It didn’t out shoot my old Remington 580 single shot with an OLD 4x Weaver. Had some old Thunderbolt so probably not a great test but fun anyway.

Nail

Feb 8, 2008
Mississippi
Single stage on sale...nothing on sale that I saw for barrels

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Single-Stage-Trigger-Unit-Drop-In_p_29.html

Torleif

Mar 11, 2017
Sunset Bay, AK
Just ordered the Kidd single stage and a 16.5” ss bull barrel. Always wanted to trick out a 10/22. Can’t wait to put it together.

Thinking that I’ll open up the barrel channel on the oem wood handle. Any tips/hints?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Stocks are cheap,nab a Boyd's ready to roll,in the pattern/color/perks that interest you most.

LOTSA bang,for the few bucks................

Torleif

Mar 11, 2017
Sunset Bay, AK
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12847077/15-off-boyds-guns-stocks#Post12847077

Glad I saw this before pushing go. Not a huge deal, but took some of the sting out of UPS to Alaska.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Here’s a heads up on a Jard Trigger

http://slidefire.com/products/10-22-assemblies/jard-trigger/

Code “rapidfire” will get you another 5% off

It’s not a KIDD but a solid step up for less than $100

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
nimrod1949 said:
Here’s a heads up on a Jard Trigger

http://slidefire.com/products/10-22-assemblies/jard-trigger/

Code “rapidfire” will get you another 5% off

It’s not a KIDD but a solid step up for less than $100
I tried to find out more about that trigger, but Slidefire can't tell me anything on it. I contacted Jard and the guy there says that Slidefire was supposed to do a few things to the triggers, which never happened so those triggers will need to be shipped to Jard to be fixed...

I don't know if that's true or not, but both companies said they were a special run. For the price, it could be a great deal, but nobody can tell me if these are 1lb, 2lb, 3lb etc...

Has anybody bought one of these from Slidefire? Also, as a side note, if you're planning to buy one, do it now. The Slidefire website says they are shutting down on the 20th.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Like a good American I have a few 10/22s so I ordered one of the Jard triggers. Tracking says it will be here Thursday. Hope to install it and shoot it by Friday evening and will report back with time to still order.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
The trigger arrived today. I was able to install it with the simple two pin swap. I don’t have a trigger pull gauge but it is a good hunting weight pull. There is a ~1/8” of pre-travel before a crisp break. Mag release is different but works. I only had time to put 20 rounds through it before it got dark.

It is a definite setup from factory. I would say it is a little better than I remember the Ruger BX being last time I shot one of those.

Torleif

Mar 11, 2017
Sunset Bay, AK
Stock showed up today. UPS 2 day air only took a week! Got everything bolted together just in time to throw in the truck and catch the ferry. I hope I shoots as good as it looks.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Just saw on the Hide, where Bartlein made another run of his barrels for 10/22s. Anybody picking one up?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'd check extractor groove/extractor timing and run a toothpick through the exctractor groove...then try again.

I shoot all of mine dry and count on boolit lube,for Slicktitude.................

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Same here, and they do accumulate crud - and I've had a lot of new 10/22 that needed to deburr themselves and settle in a bit, and a couple that benefitted from the brake-cleaner, compressed-air, re-lube, quick blast of air treatment. Followed by complete neglect, my specialty...fuck cleaning guns.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Should prolly do another Shoot 'Til It Don't Shoot Test,to see WTF.

Made it 17,000rds+ last time,before shit wouldn't go "Bang".....................

Torleif

Mar 11, 2017
Sunset Bay, AK
Extactor timing looks appropriate to me. The extractor lands right in the center of the groove. Would running the toothpick through the groove be to remove a burr? Looks like there was a small one that I knocked down. Extraction wasn’t the issue so much as ejection though, but I imagine they go hand in hand. I grabbed a couple different mags and some different ammo. Throwing everything in the boat currently and heading out for the weekend. Should have some time to sort it out.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Raining enough now...that I haveta' go Feesh in the AM. Was thinking I was done.(grin)

The toothpick is for crud removal,so the extractor can get a full purchase on the casehead...................

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
My project took a detour...

Thanks to Rolltide for the PMACA recommendation! With a SB Tactical SBA3 brace and chassis the Charger finally makes sense to me

Ruger Charger
KIDD 6” barrel
PMACA multi chassis
BX Trigger
SBA3 brace
sig Romeo (for now)

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I'd like mine to be a folder, but I can't convince myself to spend the coin on the part...hell, I don't have as much in the Charger as I would in the LAW folder...

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Rolltide said:
I'd like mine to be a folder, but I can't convince myself to spend the coin on the part...hell, I don't have as much in the Charger as I would in the LAW folder...
Try this one;

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-hardware/locking-buffer-tube-folding-adapter-prod122057.aspx

No need for the LAW with no bolt to recoil into the buffer

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I just can't get to a Charger.

Now a side folding 22LR Krunchenticker,wouldn't exactly suck.

I'd so a side folding Hogue LightyLoo .920" Rifle,in a second!.................

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
nimrod1949 said:
Rolltide said:
Try this one;

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-hardware/locking-buffer-tube-folding-adapter-prod122057.aspx

No need for the LAW with no bolt to recoil into the buffer
Thanks! The LAW is the only one I came across, although I hadn't really looked that hard...

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Dan and I played with one of these today, and it was almost too much fun.

https://www.cmmginc.com/product/rifle-banshee-300-mk4-22lr-nfa/

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
If anyone is looking for a PMACA chassis and SBA3 brace this is an ok deal

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=233139

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Purple Reign will be logging,next week.

Ruger receiver(polished),KIDD 1.5# trigger,.870" KIDD LW spout at 16",KIDD rail,Romeo 5 and purple Hogue .920".

Casting & Blasting Otter Knocker...............

Torleif

Mar 11, 2017
Sunset Bay, AK
I’ve been putting up with stove pile jams since day one with the new barrel. Just put a volquartson extractor in it today and rattled through a half dozen mags with exactly ZERO jams...