data-csrf="1711621889,7a39abf01770d1a89476b6c134ef07f3" 10/22 build advice | As Real As It Gets

10/22 build advice

Firth

Feb 1, 2015
I'm looking to put together a 10/22. Been thinking about it for a while since my kids are getting older and I have to share my own stuff all the time now. Anyhow, Stick's purple reign build pushed me over the top and I though about just copying it with an SWFA 1-4 on top but figured I'd appeal to the board's collective experience before pulling the trigger. First, the gun will be used for informal targets/plinking and hunting. Hunting will be mostly ground squirrels and bunnies.

Due to the high praise they receive here, I'm planning to go the Kidd route. If I'm remembering right, Stick just built his with a Ruger take off action and dropped in a Kidd trigger and barrel. I don't have a take off action so would either need to come up with one, or just buy a complete barreled action from Kidd. Any advice or comments on the relative merits for those options?

If going with a Kidd barreled action should I go threaded with the supergrade or just stick with the classic slip fit?

And lastly, what stocks do you like for my application? The three I've looked at are the Magpul X-22, the Hogue, and Victor Titan. Hogue being the lightest and Titan the heaviest. I don't need an uber lightweight gun but want to stay fairly handy, so if I went with a heavier stock I'd look to pick a barrel that would give good balance. I've read a lot of good things about the Titan stock, but I'm wondering if I would still have a handy/light pack about rifle by the time I dropped in a barrel that would give good balance.

Thanks in advance.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Needed to rattle a coupla shots through a Grock yesterday,so I could tighten up the Heinie Nighty Eight's and bumped into a guy,that was purty fucked up. He had an AR that he'd just worked on and managed to turn into a single-shot,so told him "bring over here and let me look".

So I opened the front door,said "catch!...shot this heavy fucker" and he grabbed Purple Reign outta of the air and said "what in THE fuck is it?!!?". I said "shoot it". One mag and he's duping same.

An Old Bay was in the store today,lamenting his vision and talking Tru-Glo's on a particular rifle of his(while I was looking for AR parts) and I told him "hold on...I got something for you". Went to my crummy,handed Purple Reign to him and dots were immediately connected.,though it was Lightyears beyond anything he'd ever seen/handled before.

Would it suck with an Illuminatti on it?

Nope.(grin)

I'd want slip-fit and there's much to be said,for everything arriving in a single parcel. You'll regtret NONE of it.

Ever..................(grin)

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Looks handy enough, and fun enough, but all bullshit aside...plenty good for minute of squirrel/grouse head out so say, 50 yards or so???

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I've got builds with KIDD parts and also have a KIDD Classic. If I were going Supergrade, I believe I'd hold out for one of the originals that are threaded versus the newer quick change.

FWIW, my Classic is a 20" unthreaded that now sits in a Victor Titan. It hammers, but ain't one to carry around all day.

My build is similar, but sits in a Hogue. I can see me with a lightweight build at some point for the zombie squirrel invasion that you just know is coming...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Lineman said:
Looks handy enough, and fun enough, but all bullshit aside...plenty good for minute of squirrel/grouse head out so say, 50 yards or so???
Can't know....I've never seen you shoot.(grin)

I reckon I could yard the Romeo offa it and stab a 10x MQ aboard it tomorrow and roll some footage,to put some minds at ease.

Not much Rimfire Weather today...............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Rolltide said:
I've got builds with KIDD parts and also have a KIDD Classic. If I were going Supergrade, I believe I'd hold out for one of the originals that are threaded versus the newer quick change.

FWIW, my Classic is a 20" unthreaded that now sits in a Victor Titan. It hammers, but ain't one to carry around all day.

My build is similar, but sits in a Hogue. I can see me with a lightweight build at some point for the zombie squirrel invasion that you just know is coming...
I'd MUCH prefer the quick change.

Threads don't do anything for me.

BT/DT..............

Firth

Feb 1, 2015
The feedback is appreciated.

Rolltide said:
If I were going Supergrade, I believe I'd hold out for one of the originals that are threaded versus the newer quick change.
I hadn't realized the new ones were quick change, so that's good to know. I'm a little tempted to try it for the sake of R&D, but it doesn't sound like there's a lot of love for it over the classic slip fit. Is that just to keep future options open? When I put in similar configuration options it's only $60 extra for the supergrade. I'll probably just dupe Stick's build; it's never a bad place to be.

I'm a little tempted to just run a sig romeo. It's cheaper and would be fast shooting if I had one charge me. ;) Just not convinced my eyes can handle longer shots without help.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm happy with Ruger OEM slip fits...because I can do whatever the fuck I want for barrels and stocks. I'd liken it akin to a MilSpec,in that commonality never hurts production. If it costs me 1/4" at the 100yd line,I could give a fuck less.(grin)

Found a 10x MO/MO that was warm,so threw it aboard. Crummy is layered in over an inch of ice,so it'll be a bit. Might take some swingers,but am not certain I can drive them in the ground.(grin)

Have taken the Romeo 5 off several times,just for RTZ R&D and I've not had to adjust it more than a single windage "click" and that only (1) time. The surface area of the base interface,plays nicely with such thangs. Ammo is frozen,as it lives in my crummy,so it'll be a FAIR Evaluation. I've got better shit to do,than keep Race Ammo in my armpits! I'll gun a hasty 50yd zero,gun paper(and maybe steel),then return the '5 back in it's place.

If threading needles for killing shit is a concern,the Illuminatti is assuredly a NASTY blend of Speed and Precision,while retaining poor light Illumination. You could of course drive it on vary zoom levels,but I pin all of mine to subtend the reticle with the erector and 4x is more than enough,to REALLY stretch some shit out with,less being bit up close and personal.

My eyes are certainly nothing compared to their former value,but rallying uncorrected,I've yet to throw the Romeo into service and regretted the parcel or the platform.

Film at 11:00................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
At least I can know how to do pics.(grin)

Yarded Romeo 5 off this morning and slapped a 10x MO/MO aboard,with windage turret. Shot (4) shots at a flat rock face at a lasered 50yds and chased reticle with turret,then shot (5) rounds at 50yd paper,with bipod and no rear bag(fist). Didn't look,didn't care.

Yarded bipod off and shot another hasty (5) rounds at 50yds,with rifle rested on action screw via rolled up duds and a rear fist. Didn't look,didn't care.

Take a guess?!?(grin)

Zero'd ele turret,marked it as a KIDD ULW 50yd zero and throwed the Romeo 5 back aboard. Gunned hasty Zero Confirmations and didn't haveta' change a fucking thing on the Sig.

Am I frettin' ULW mechanics? Nope. Does it live with a bipod on it? Nope. Would said spout be far more forgiving with a bipod,while wearing a more rigid stock? Yep.

Is the Hogue,ULW Kidd and Romeo 5 a good melding? Nope. It's MUCH fucking better than that.(grin)

Hint....................

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
I appreciate the nudge.

Been wanting to give an auto a shot for a while now, wasn't really interested in anything off the shelf.

Hoping I can find something I like as much as my 452s...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A 452 can't hang.

Pass the S/S,durability,vastly superior magazines,wayyyyyy better trigger and rugged/reliability of a Squirt Gun...............

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Lineman said:
I appreciate the nudge.

Been wanting to give an auto a shot for a while now, wasn't really interested in anything off the shelf.

Let me know if you want to try out my KIDD or my KIDD build. Mine's not a lightweight though. My Classic, sitting in the Victor Titan with a Sig Tango 6 5-30 is a pig! It weighs almost as much as my Vudoo...Shoots almost as good too!

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Nice to throw a Wagon Load of Riggin' in the crummy and gun shit side by each.

It's purty good for the Economy,on the average.................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I did not...nor would I.

I learnt MANY moons ago to bed spouts on 10/22's and float receivers,after dabbling every contortion knowed to man.

Build as cited and simply don't go outta your way to yam the stock while fixing to trip the trigger and you WILL be delighted.................

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Rolltide said:
Lineman said:
I appreciate the nudge.

Let me know if you want to try out my KIDD or my KIDD build. Mine's not a lightweight though. My Classic, sitting in the Victor Titan with a Sig Tango 6 5-30 is a pig! It weighs almost as much as my Vudoo...Shoots almost as good too!
Will do! And thanks...

Might need a boat to get there if the river gets any higher though.

Starting a new job in 2 weeks so will be off on Saturdays again. I’m really looking forward to the silhouette matches. I’ve heard there’s a whole new level of competition there now.

There were only a handful of us when I shot it.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Congrats on the new job!

There is a bunch of good shooter there, and my guess is that there will be more Vudoo's this year.

Kettlefoot is also starting the same match in May. They built a new range, just for it.

Also, I hear you on the boat! The Alaska guys are used to it, but everything is flooding here. I saw last night that the South Fork broke a 75 year record yesterday for volume... Stay safe!

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Crisp/clear here...despite my doing The Monsoon Dance perpetually.

It keeps ALOTTA Chrome from getting scratched..............(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Rolltide said:
Congrats on the new job!

There is a bunch of good shooter there, and my guess is that there will be more Vudoo's this year.

Kettlefoot is also starting the same match in May. They built a new range, just for it.

Also, I hear you on the boat! The Alaska guys are used to it, but everything is flooding here. I saw last night that the South Fork broke a 75 year record yesterday for volume... Stay safe!
As an aside,what are most gunning for Vudoo Sillywet handles?!?

I've an Old Glory Flame ordered in Annie Sillywet pattern,with HEAVY fill,for a S/A 700 AICS DBM Play Toy...but of course it would never come fucking close to making weight.

Prolly another 6BR..................

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
I don’t even know what the limits are for classes here. I know when I quit there were only 2.

Stock/hunting...only rule was no scope over 9x. Supposed to be factory barrel only but a few always shot rebarrelled 10/22s.

No rules at all on the unlimited class.

I practically begged them to do the original, off hand match out to 100 yards, but pretty much got laughed at. The BR crowd has a lot of pull in the club here.

I never saw any Vudoos or the real high end stuff. Maybe a 54 or two and 1 40x. What’s the winning scores look like now? I was usually around 30/40 on a good day, and that would always be close to the top. One dude, shooting one of those LONG barrel CZs shot a 38/40 on his first match. That was the best score I’ve saw. Funny part was, that was his first time ever shooting at 200.

I hate those damn turkeys....

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Oh...and I’m assuming Kettlefoot surely won’t have their match the same day as we do.

I could definitely see me building or buying a nice rifle for it if I could shoot 2 matches a month.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Shot from a bench.

Any type of rest is fine unless it’s changed.

Most of us shot off bipods at the time, but I’m sure the BR guys are using some kind of front and rear solid rests.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
So it's largely an Equipment Race? Seems like that would be a whole bunch intimidating,to Newbs.

Would still be fun!................

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
That was my argument too, but like I stated earlier, the BR crowd rules the show out there.

Main reason I got out of the meetings and stuff. I don’t give a shit what people do or are into, go for it and have fun! My problem was they always shot me down and acted like I was an idiot when I suggested something other than sitting on a damn bench. Never understood, as they didn’t have to participate, but to kill it before we even tried always pissed me off.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
I've always been interested in rimfire sillywetts but have never tried it
Would love to play that game with factory rifles so cost would be lower and maybe more people would play

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I useta have a set,but loaned them out or something. Been beating up my KYL Steel purty good and it's a riot!

We'll have to make a Rimfire Jaunt,on my next pass. You'll be buying a Garrow Hummer Upper............(grin)

Firth

Feb 1, 2015
I appreciate all the info shared. I'll just be going with a straight dupe of purple reign. Just have to figure out colors. My 12 year old son thinks zombie green is where it's at but I'm leaning lava red. Plan to pick up a sig romeo to tide me over till the illuminati's go on sale. Maybe the sig will convert me...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Firth said:
I appreciate all the info shared. I'll just be going with a straight dupe of purple reign. Just have to figure out colors. My 12 year old son thinks zombie green is where it's at but I'm leaning lava red. Plan to pick up a sig romeo to tide me over till the illuminati's go on sale. Maybe the sig will convert me...
Spill your guts on the findings...............

Firth

Feb 1, 2015
No apology necessary. I come here to learn, and I pick up just as much from the meanderings as I do the topic at hand.

Rod Builder

May 15, 2012
Happiest Place on Earth
I shot my version of Purple Reign this morning.
I still don't really like the ergos of the hogue stock, but Damn, that KIDD trigger is amazing. Dan bitched that I just cost him more money too after he shot it.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I put mine together a couple years ago, same as Stick's but OD stock and Sparc II red dot. It's the gun I take when I don't need a gun - walking in the woods, back of the truck, whatever. Its only competition is a 22/45 Lite with an FF3, and it's a better tool for hitting a target than a handgun ever will be. My only misgiving is that it's SO light that shooting offhand is a real challenge.

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Well, you enablers got me roped into one, too.

Snagged a 10/22 donor over the weekend after selling some misc. junk at a local gun show.

Magpul x22, KIDD single stage (1.5lb), & 18" KIDD LW for me. I suppose it'll be 6 lbs or so without a scope.

Not planning on replacing any other parts. Good there?

Firth

Feb 1, 2015
Got everything put together yesterday. Love the feel. Probably be a day or two before I can shoot it. For those of you with Hogues: was yours free floated with no modification? As issued mine has few lbs of upward pressure on the barrel out at the end of the stock. I could shoot it as is to see what's what or should I just go straight to the sand paper. The instructions with the stock say there are contact point tabs that can be filed down to adjust for a free float but I haven't taken it back apart yet to see how that would work.