data-csrf="1713608174,b4a6e4aa5e584496a8642a7ad781fd4c" 17 HMR ? | As Real As It Gets

17 HMR ?

22 skadoo

Dec 9, 2007
NJ
What are some of the better 17 HMR rifles.Never had one before and I'm thinking about getting one.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've only owned CZ 452,Ruger 77/22 and Anschutz 1717D HB...but have shot most of the others. The 54 based Annie steals the fucking show in Precision,as my Clark Custom Lothar Walther barreled(18"/.720"),McMillan stocked and RB triggered 77/17 cain't even begin to hang. Had a GM Sillywet spout on it for a spell too.

NOTHING begins to touch a Ruger rotary mag,for firepower,flushtitude or rugged reliability.

For ULTIMATE Precision,Anschutz or bust. For a hard working Utility Rifle a Ruger S/S Laminate and pretty much fuck everything else but a RAR,as they are farrrrrrrrrrr and away the most for the least.

I'd look hard at the 77/17 S/S fucker in 17 WSM,as they are an absolute HAMMER. Oh how I wish Anschutz chambered 17 WSM,for THE Ultimate Rimfire Gentleman's Rifle.

The 77/17 gets serious points for S/S and the RAR serious points for a 25MOA 1913 extended rail option. A coupla pards shoot AA AR platform Hummers and dig 'em,but I've not yerked a trigger on one.

For threading needles the 1717D HB wearing a 75MOA 1913 rail and 10x MQ has simply gotta be seen,to be believed and I've seen me some shit in my time...............(grin)

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Not much to add to Stick's post. I had wanted a 77/17 All Weather for a long time and finally picked one up. Beautiful rifle, but seemed to have a modified choke, as I never could get it to shoot well. Reworked the trigger, cleaned up the crown...nothing seemed to matter.

Guy at the range one day just had to have it, so I let him shoot it and he was Thrilled! with a 3" group at 100... I didn't feel bad for selling it once he knew what he had...

I've got a CZ 452 Varmint, which shoots well, although I hate the magazine and backwards safety.

I can't speak to a 54 actioned Anschutz, but my 1517 hammers. It shoots better than I expected and I keep getting told it shouldn't shoot that well with a Sporter barrel. Downside is the 4 round Anschutz mag.

I've a Cooper 57M that is purty and shoots like a house on fire. Only downside is the 4 round Anschutz mag.

The Volquartsen Classic is a pig, heavy and eats everything in sight. It's the fastest way to play and uses the Ruger mags, so it's hard not to like it.

For a beater, I've got the RAR Predator model. It shoots well and of course has the best magazine going. I've got to get the extractor issues cleared up, but for the money, it's a steal...

I'm trying to get the folks who make the PMACA chassis for 10/22's to offer the same chassis for the RAR. I dig the KIDD in the chassis and figure the RAR would work well too.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I want a S/S Anschutz 17 WSM in a chassis,that eats Ruger Rotary mags. I'd happily give $2500 for it..................

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I bought the first B.Mag I could lay hands on when that was the only rifle available for the WSM. Two factory returns resulted in a bull barrel upgrade, then I added a Boyd's stock, a full bedding job on the barrel shank, a shitload of different ammo, and I finally have a 1" rifle. The trigger and action are total pieces of shit. The stock ergos are terrible; even the Boyds laminate couldn't fix that.
On the good side - the rotary mag is a ripoff of the Ruger design and works great.
Just another reminder of why Savages suck ass.
The cartridge, though, is a hammer - kills distinctly harder than the HMR.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I don't have a WSM, but picked up 1000 rounds, just in case...

The Ruger caught my eye, but the few I've had a chance to shoot weren't fairing any better than the Savages in the accuracy department, so I'm still waiting. I've got too many other projects going, to add to the pile, especially if Ruger gets smart and offers the RAR in WSM. If that happens, they should be offering it in 22 Hornet as well.

I could see me having a couple of each...

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
In case anybody's looking...77/17 SS $439 at CDNN

https://www.cdnnsports.com/77-17-17hmr-20-sts-blk.html

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Was trying to source an AA 17 Hummer upper the other day and they only sell complete rifles now,though the Base Bitch is under a bushel.

A Krunchenticker Hummer would be a hoot..............