data-csrf="1711691350,cb5362855a1f561d61c15db25db87e04" .22 Pistol Target/Hunting | As Real As It Gets

.22 Pistol Target/Hunting

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Dirty Duty Root In The Shit And Go Bang Every Fucking Time...or Play Toy?

Ruger S/S MKII Gubment Target(round barrel) for the former and lotsa ways to play the latter.

Sorta had this talk with Roundeye at work the other day and because I've lost too fucking many mags when it mattered most,I'm happy to retain the Ruger heelhook retention,because NOTHING is more positive.

For Giggles,pass the S&W 41...........

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I have a Buckmark and there's nothing wrong with it. It doesn't shoot like my 41, but I really wouldn't expect it to, either.

I've looked at the stainless Victory, and I like the price point as a halibut dispatcher. I almost picked up a stainless 22/45 for the same reason. The best I can get with a Buckmark is nickel.

That being said, I just found my .410 Snake Charmer after it hid in my truck for four years. Unfortunately, I'm not kidding. Shaking my head...

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Big Stick said:
Ruger has RELIABILTY 100%

With the S/S MKII's...............
Damn thing is more than 3 decades old and has helped heaps of blue grouse see the light. Only thing tempting about the newer 22/45's is weight reduction for alpine totin'. Need to write 'nother letter to Santa....

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
In the MK II's,there is NO bullshit. They simply run reliably and their mags stay put.

One KNOWS going in,that they've no equal...mainly because they fucking do NOT.

The mags rock,their retention is supreme,the platform is stalwart and there's no loose ends. In cool hands,the Precision just happens to be eerie too.

There's simply no equal............

LOBO

Dec 9, 2007
Mississippi
No experience with the Ruger, but I can speak very highly of the Buckmark. I've had mine since at least 2000, and it has been nothing but bliss.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Have shot Buckmarks since the 80's and gave lotsa them as gifts. They are best served as Now And Agains,because they cain't begin to hang with Ruger in Rugged Reliability.

Grip angle is fair,controls are nice...but they are farrrrrrr from Ruger Tough................

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Hard to argue with the Ruger's for reliability and the accuracy ain't bad either. MKII's and MKIII's shoot well enough but the LITE has found a home in my turkey vest among other places.

The S&W 422s and 622s have a special place because nothing seems as light and fun. It doesn't hurt that they share mags with the 41's...

I have a BuckMark Contour LITE that shoots like a house on fire. It just feels right when shooting it.

For balls to the wall accuracy though, nothing touches the 41.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Nice!

I only have one High Standard, a Sport King. Picked it up cheap, but haven't played with it enough.

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
Big Stick said:
Dirty Duty Root In The Shit And Go Bang Every Fucking Time...or Play Toy?

Ruger S/S MKII Gubment Target(round barrel) for the former and lotsa ways to play the latter.

Sorta had this talk with Roundeye at work the other day and because I've lost too fucking many mags when it mattered most,I'm happy to retain the Ruger heelhook retention,because NOTHING is more positive.

For Giggles,pass the S&W 41...........
I here what you're saying. In hindsight, I wouldn't TacSol or Loudener ever again, but the platforms are sound.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Been curious for a spell. Factory Test Target denotes .916" for (5) shots at 50yds and I know I can hold harder than that.

Might could be intellesting...................(grin)

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
cwh said:
Oh... I don't know about that...
Agreed. My 41 dazzles, but all of the target grade High Standards I've had (Victor, Trophy, Citation) out shot my Model 41.

I like the Ruger MK series for what they are, I just can't get used to that Luger grip angle....same with the Glock. I much prefer the grip angle of the 1911.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Parallax adjustment do favors here and Reupold 12x Sillywet eye-relief is inordinate in their lengthtitude.

Fucking weather is still not helping anything. It swapped instantly/often,in both direction(s) and relative velocity. Good way to learn to shoot a 22LR pistole at 50yds though. (grin)

0x1024q90/922/nTxjYx.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Dabbled a few different holds and found that a strongside grip,with a light weakside bridge along receiver,settled shit right the fuck down. Bag was too proud for said application,given the rather modest frame "length",so as to preclude kissin' the slide.

Used a folded t-shirt under heel of grip for 2-point rest.

Was gunning tacks,as it'd been a spell since I'd gunned a pistole wearing 12x. Initial dots were too proud and better slated to 100yd work,but conditions didn't begin to allow that. A herd of (5) flunged at a tack,which I fucking hit.

Opened up the wet paper,as nice as I could.

Might be onto sumptin',with a weather change and a few more flavors of fodder................

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
I'm tempted to put a 6x MQ on the kids' Charger. I think you floated that idea to me awhile back. They love the shit out of the thing with a FF3 on there.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Eye-relief is the bane,but at least on a Charger the bolt is enclosed within the receiver.

You are doing rightest,with the FF3 approach...............

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
That FF3 is a lot tougher than I thought. There's a good sized dent in the rollbar, and it's still ticking without any change in zero.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The FF3's have done rather well here and are held in esteem...mainly because they are always wet and gettin' abused in general.

Zero retention has been unreal................

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Dan In Alaska said:
cwh said:
Oh... I don't know about that...
Agreed. My 41 dazzles, but all of the target grade High Standards I've had (Victor, Trophy, Citation) out shot my Model 41.

I like the Ruger MK series for what they are, I just can't get used to that Luger grip angle....same with the Glock. I much prefer the grip angle of the 1911.
You remember the day (I know you do) that you were shooting your 41, and I was shooting the victor, and Bill schooled us on clays with a $175 ruger that you sold him?

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Rolltide said:
Nice!

I only have one High Standard, a Sport King. Picked it up cheap, but haven't played with it enough.
Sport kings are junk.

(On an unrelated note, what do you want for it?) :)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
There was a HS Camden 107 Citation for 500 clams on RFC...but am thinkin' it got slicked up. It were D&T'd too,which is a good thang in my book.

Not a horrid deal................

Hooker

Dec 3, 2007
Nez Perce County
Big Stick said:
In the MK II's,there is NO bullshit. They simply run reliably and their mags stay put.

One KNOWS going in,that they've no equal...mainly because they fucking do NOT.

The mags rock,their retention is supreme,the platform is stalwart and there's no loose ends. In cool hands,the Precision just happens to be eerie too.

There's simply no equal............
Your a hell of a salesman..

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
FF3's are weathering well here. Dropped this bitch yesterday in the garage on the concrete,with the sight hitting first to "break" the fall. Throwed power to it and the light came on and zero never shifted.

Shot the bitch all day today,just to make fucking CERTAIN...................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
My wingman slept in and it woulda been nice to have some help to slap a tape on it. Gettin' close to a purty serious sized Trout and I've seen me a few.(grin)

Weren't a bad day.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
They make it both ways and the holster pictured,is as issued and purpose built for optics. It's not too shabby.

In the crummy I keep it in a soft-sided Uncle Mike's nylon holster,because it rides well betwixt the driver's seat and center column. While in transit Outdoors,the Kydex Bitch rules the roost,because it don't suck up moisture and it is VERY positive in it's relative retention.

Nice way to fly..............

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
22/45 mk II with the 5 1/2" stainless bull barrel is pretty tough to trump for reliability, shootability and accuracy.

Put a decent trigger on it and top it with a fast fire and you'd rule the world.