45/70 and LVR powder

Eagle1899

Dec 9, 2007
not where I would like
Anyone shooting this combo?

Looking to run a cast 405 in a Marlin 1895.
Thinking of starting with Varget loads and working from there.

Love LVR and rather not slum anything else.

Witt

Dec 30, 2009
'Burg, NE
I might try it one of these days. Right now the 45-70 is just my iron sight slut and burns whatever I feel like. I have a microgroove 1895, plenty of lever, & cast & jacketed 405s. However I still need a die for the LAM2 before I can use my own 405s. I haven't slugged the tube, but I imagine .460 or .461 will do. Hoping microgrooves don't cause me any grief that requires fine tuning; I've only used lighter & paper patched as-cast pistol boolits as far as lead goes. I might be able to run soft 405s sized down for paper patching if they do give me fuss.

Witt

Dec 30, 2009
'Burg, NE
Lucky me, I have brass all prepped & primed.. Found my cast 405s but not my jacketed yet. Think I know where I left 'em though. Casting big 458s @ 3 cents apiece has its appeal, I just haven't gotten everything I want to run 'em yet. I might be able to leave some chrono numbers in the coming days.

Witt

Dec 30, 2009
'Burg, NE
Pardon me... some major medical issues in the family moved my focus these past weeks, but things are looking up. Anyways I've rolled some 405s just now, dusted off the old 1895 & have it all leaned up with the chrono & ready to poke just as soon as the weather suits me. This oughta be painful..

Witt

Dec 30, 2009
'Burg, NE
Results weren't quite as fast as I thought they'd be. Temp was about 25f. I was seated a touch long with remmy jacketed 405s (barely grabbing cannelure) and worked 55-60 grains. Speed hit 1750. There was still maybe room for a couple few more grains and primers still had rounded corners on everything. I'll have to load some more and give them another poke on a little nicer day; maybe my cheap chrono will tell a slightly different story in better conditions.

Overall, if the data was right it yields a full case and modest velocity. This could be a reasonably appealing powder for some using heavy bullets in leverguns and maybe lower pressures than others for the speed will help run cast nicely. I personally don't reach for high performance in my open-sighted lever 45-70. So with 2 jugs of cheap LVR on the shelf, I think I will go ahead and use more of it regardless of whether there is more velocity on the table or not.

Witt

Dec 30, 2009
'Burg, NE
Slugged my bore at .4577. With .460/461 being custom sizes I'll just settle with a .459 die.. see what happens & open it up a bit if I have to.