data-csrf="1711691709,d8135bf9b39c241839296620a038d139" Anyone shoot blackpowder? | As Real As It Gets

Anyone shoot blackpowder?

Supper

Jun 2, 2008
WY/UT
Just won a blackpowder six shooter on a raffle and don't have the first fucking clue as to how to run em.

Its an Armison Marco .44 2nd Model Dragoon. Just start loading it up and popping some percussion caps?

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
Yep, but gotta make sure of a few things first.

I had a percussion black powder pistol 20 years ago so I'm going from memory.

You gotta find what size round ball yours will handle. I believe there's a couple different sizes of .44 cal round balls. As well as the right size cap. You also gotta decide what powder you will be using, black power or the newer cleaner replacement powder.

Pretty simple to load. Powder, wad, ball then some crisco over the ball to stop one cylinder from possibly igniting the other 4. ( I usually only loaded 5 so I had one cylinder dead to rest the hammer on) Also you can buy the goop to put over the ball instead of crisco, serves the same purpose.

The book that came with pistol should give you approximate charges for loading.

They are fun and can be surprisingly accurate. Also watch for the blown apart primers fucking up a rapid fire cowboy like shooting session. The primer pieces get jammed in the cylinder mechanism . Betcha this cost some fuckers their lives back in the day.

Supper

Jun 2, 2008
WY/UT
Prowler said:
The book that came with pistol should give you approximate charges for loading.
Therein lies the rub, not a fucking scrap of paper came with it. Nothin like wingin it...

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
Figured why you were asking.

I don't know the bore size but if I had to guess I would say the larger sized 44 ball. Your pistol looks like the walker type. At the time it was the most powerful 44. Thinking do to ball/bore size.

There's gotta ne some info around the net.