data-csrf="1713498748,df8facdd83c524548fe74407a5bca9e0" AR scope? | As Real As It Gets

AR scope?

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
what are you guys running and why ?
I would love to have something short and capable to shoot 500-600 yards either twist or reticle
I’ve got a Leupy 6x42 on it now but would love something shorter
Swfa 1-4??
Anything better and or will take a lick better ?
I’m all ears

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Burris FFII 3-9 on mine. No long range work for my AR. 300 yards max. Reason: It's what I had, it's not too bulky, and it seems to work well.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've not puked an Illuminatti,but know guys who have. I don't know if that is a function of a build window in the lineage,or just that everyone is "luckier" than I?(grin)

I like the 1-4X in both Theory and Application,but drive all of mine as a "FFP",pinned to 4x to subtend turrets. Magnification is actually pinned in place and the illumination do not suck,especially on days like today!

Weather is fucking FIERCE!..................

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
I've not puked an Illuminatti,but know guys who have. I don't know if that is a function of a build window in the lineage,or just that everyone is "luckier" than I?(grin)

I like the 1-4X in both Theory and Application,but drive all of mine as a "FFP",pinned to 4x to subtend turrets. Magnification is actually pinned in place and the illumination do not suck,especially on days like today!

Weather is fucking FIERCE!..................
That’s most likely how I’ll roll also
I’ve got a couple of them already and like them a lot in certain applications
Have one on a RAR 17 hmr and love it for multipurpose use

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
I've got a vortex strike eagle 1-6 on my competition gun. Made it a couple thousand rounds before it puked. It's ok in daylight but pathetic at low light. My comps always are in the daytime. I've shot it on reticle out to 500m. The Burris 1-6 offerings seem to be more robust and much better glass quality.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've yet to see a Vortex anything,worth a fuck.

Burris has puked too many times on me through the years,to forget.

The SWFA 1-6x 24mm HD (SampleList) is fucking temptin',but I prefer Illuminatti illumination/reticle.........................

MontanaMan

Nov 28, 2007
I like the SWFA 1-4x on a coupla rifles, but, truthfully, the eyebox ain't the greatest, otherwise great scope, great reticle, you just have to get right behind it.

I also like my 3-10 SHV Nightforce's.........the package is just right at 11.6" & 20 oz & it's sturdy enough to take a lick & the mechanics are solid for dialing.

Not a Vortex fan but the one & only is still running; also have a Sig FFP 4-14x but it's on the larger size but works well for it's use.

All in all, if you can drop the coin, get a Nightforce of whatever flavor horns you up, with illumination & thank me later.

MM

• Haha
Reactions: ECG1

bgold

Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
I actually like my 1-6 VX-6, but it could be better. Illumination is a pain in the ass to use, and the magnification adjustment ring is tough to turn. Good size/weight though, and I like the fact I can go to 6X instead of 4X like most.

My others use 3.5-10 for magnified optics, with the exception of an EOTech with magnifier. All that said, I'd probably go a different route next go round for a LPVO...but it won't be SWFA.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Not a Vortex fan but the one & only is still running; also have a Sig FFP 4-14x but it's on the larger size but works well for it's use.
I'd like to see some more compact scopes from NF. They seem to be pretty focused on the higher magnification and higher X crowd, and for good reason.... that's where the money is.

bgold

Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
Me too. But the NX8 isn't bad for the money. The ATACR 1-8 is just too rich for my blood for that style optic.

I want to like Vortex, and can get nice deals on them...but even at $400 off a Razor HD Gen II I can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

MontanaMan

Nov 28, 2007
Vortex is like having a short dick; it's alright around the house but not much good for takin' on the road...................

Vortex on a non-serious rifle is Ok, in that if it shits the bed, send it in for repair...........they do that well. But if it's a serious gun for hunting or social intercourse, then no Vortex for my guns, the failure rate is just too high.

MM

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Did they just kill the NXS 2.5-10X32? They show it on the site, but can't find the fucking thing to actually buy one.

MM, I want to like Vortex. They make some interesting stuff. I just can't quite do it.

Has nothing to do with the size of my dick. I'm like 70% sure.

MontanaMan

Nov 28, 2007
Yes, that scope is discontinued but you might luck out & find one somewhere if you look long enough.

Next best bet is the NXS 2.5-10 x 42 or an SHV 3-10 x 42. SHV's & NSX's can be had right now for 15% off for Black Friday Sale.

Here's a 3-10 SHV on an AR, it balances & fits well on the gun.

MM

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I forgot that I ordered a Burris 1.5-6x Illuminated to fuck around with. SFP and was thinking about putting it aboard my Franklin Whizzum.

I hate Burris,so am jaded,but will give it a fair shake....................

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
I’ve had that damn thing in my cart for two weeks and have yet to leap.

Currently avoiding the eGay temptation for more m8 4x after I resurrected my 8mag thumper that carries the same and watched
two little bucks chase does at 300yards and wondered why the fuck I ever buy anything with more power.

MontanaMan

Nov 28, 2007
Stick, Breathlessly awaiting your eval& you spilling yer guts........................people keep trying to convince me that Burris can hang; others have me convinced they are shit. Gotta admit that compared to some over priced stuff, their prices are attractive if the wares measure up.

MM

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm not really in love with the reticle,but for a Winter Cast & Blast Krunchenticker for sluicing fur,I'm thinking it will do fine.

The 17 Whizzum falls Transonic fairly quick(450yd line) and 17's get pretty squirrely after that transition,so it won't see huge erector dumps.

We shall see..................

MontanaMan

Nov 28, 2007
MM, I want to like Vortex. They make some interesting stuff. I just can't quite do it.

Has nothing to do with the size of my dick. I'm like 70% sure.
If I could get a deal or $400 off a Razor Gen II, I'd try it on a non-critical rifle................worst that can happen is that it fails & they will fix it or replace it.

The glass in the Razor is made in Japan, IIRC, & is pretty good..........but glass is generally not the problem with anything these days, it's the mechanics & Vortex is no exception, but if it's works, it can be good. As I said, failure rate is just too high to be a top tier scope day in, day out.

I also hear really good things about Meopta if they fit your niche, but I don't own one; hope to visit their plant in Czech Republic in January as we have one pretty close to theirs. maybe get a deal on one to bring home.

MM

bgold

Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
Yes, that scope is discontinued but you might luck out & find one somewhere if you look long enough.

Next best bet is the NXS 2.5-10 x 42 or an SHV 3-10 x 42. SHV's & NSX's can be had right now for 15% off for Black Friday Sale.

Here's a 3-10 SHV on an AR, it balances & fits well on the gun.
How do you like the SHV? Thought about trying a 3-10 or maybe even the 4-14.

MontanaMan

Nov 28, 2007
How do you like the SHV? Thought about trying a 3-10 or maybe even the 4-14.
SHV is fine; the glass is good enough, mechanicals have held up so far (about 3 yrs) & the size is great for an AR in that you (at least me) can get the right eye relief & still easily access the charging handle. Check the pic above.

Eye box is not bad; my biggest wish would be for an illuminated reticle, which is now available, as the cross haris are fine & in low light can be difficult to see. I just ordered another one today on a BF special.

In it's price range, I don't think much else come close other than a SS 3-15x or maybe a Bushnell but those are both FFP scopes & on this gun, I really don't want an FFP scope. IIRC, the 4-14 x 50 is an FFP if that's what you prefer, but that package doesn't fit an AR quite as well as the 3-10x does as it's about 3 inches longer than the 3-10.

Just my preferences, your's might be different.

MM

Last edited:

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
The 3-10 is hard to beat on an AR if you don’t mind sfp. The 4-14 is ffp but a mile long. Both of mine have been dead reliable.

The New York Scmidts (I.e. Bushy lrhs/lrts) Special is hard to beat.

MontanaMan

Nov 28, 2007
That would be a great scope at a value price tag, except that it's 14+" long which is completely unnecessary for that magnification, & that makes it less attractive on an AR for my likes.

MM

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
That would be a great scope at a value price tag, except that it's 14+" long which is completely unnecessary for that magnification, & that makes it less attractive on an AR for my likes.

MM

Nothing else matches the erector travel or parallax adjustment and I hear they track and can take a lick.(grin)

If they offered an Illuminated version,I'd nab a few for Winter Cast & Blasts...aboard Krunchentickers........................

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
The illuminated SHV is just the very center of the reticle. If your used to NSX reticle lighting you’ll probably be disappointed.
I run the 6x MQ on my scoped AR, but it’s big, heavy, and not good for low light use. I can see stuff in all my other optics far better in low light than in the SS.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I think I have over 50 6x MQ's on various platforms that run the gamut and have yet to be in a situation,where I didn't/couldn't whack what I wanted...when I wanted.

My weather ain't always sunny and there's some foliage too............................