data-csrf="1714171918,3af24a7972c002da665ea419499155a6" Bear pistol | As Real As It Gets

Bear pistol

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Looking at a few options, open to suggestions. This would be for lower 48 Grizz, cat, ect.... protection sidearm. Chest harness carry while backpacking. Thinking 30oz. or less, 4” or less barrel. Don’t want a Glock 20. Had one of those before. 357 or 44. Leaning towards the 329PD. Would like one of the 3” barrel Alaskan Backpacker models if I could find one.

327 357, 8 shot

360 PD 357, 5 shot

329 PD 44, 6 shot

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Chesapeake said:
Looking at a few options, open to suggestions. This would be for lower 48 Grizz, cat, ect.... protection sidearm. Chest harness carry while backpacking. Thinking 30oz. or less, 4” or less barrel. Don’t want a Glock 20. Had one of those before. 357 or 44. Leaning towards the 329PD. Would like one of the 3” barrel Alaskan Backpacker models if I could find one.

327 357, 8 shot

360 PD 357, 5 shot

329 PD 44, 6 shot
Here ya go.....

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I had a 329, very light, easy to carry. You can get a set of the X frame soft padded grips and comfortably shoot hot loads or down load a bit and shoot the supplied grip.

While I have absolutely no experience in killing bears or big cats I would carry a wide meplat hard cast over a expanding bullet.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Buffalo bore makes a hard cast load for the 329. Underwood ammo loads the Lehigh defense xtreme penetrator as well. Looks like some decent raw penetration type loads are available for 357 and 44 that could survive the scandium frame revolvers without jumping crimp.

Can’t say I’ve ever killed a bear with a pistol and never killed a brown bear with anything.

I forget to set it to html and ubb code.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I've shot quite a few of the Grizzly / Cast Performance LBT .44/275gr heat treated hard cast. They have grouped well for me and you can run them hot.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
329 would be/was my pick. Fun to shoot with regular 240's with the x-frame grips, and not bad with the 300s.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I hate 44's,because they are loud. If I had to have one,it would be made outta real metal. Same goes a 357.

I'd still be in 3" 317 Mode,with CT grip. Don't weigh nothing,ain't loud and I've LOTSA faith.

If a guy wasn't careful,he'd have fun and get good with it.................

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
I carry a 44 Special, Charter Arms Bullpup or something like that, in my pants back pocket, because I'm too lazy to carry anything bigger.

First round is some sort of shotshell, the next four are hard cast cowboy loads. I figure if I can't dissuade the bear, I'll make some .429 sized pencil holes through it.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I purchased a SW 329 Night Guard. 44 mag, 2.5” barrel, scandium frame, stainless cylinder. Hasn’t arrived yet.
Ordered a Kenai chest holster to carry it.
Plan to start with 250-ish grain hardcast loads.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
One word
Violent!
I've owned multiple 44's and is a big part of the reason my ears are ringing now
Personally I'd rather have a smaller caliber that I'd shoot a lot more and be able
To hit with much better
Or at least downloaded 44 ammo
Bears aren't going to be impressed with any handgun round that doesn't contact CNS or heavy bone anyways

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Have been charged by a grizzly while chasing chrome on the Skeena tribs when I unknowingly got between him and his favorite hole so he felt compelled to inform me of my transgression. Obviously, I lived but so did he....

Read a riveting story a few months back on a rare trip through the 'fire.... Long time AK guide was walking his husband/wife clients to a run through the riverside dog hair. The grizzly charged from a few feet off the trail and he had properly schooled his clients to go flat in such event, keeping all options on the table. Cool as a cucumber, the guide was able to put a hasty group of 3 or 4 147 grain Buffalo Bore pills broadside through the beast from his G17 as it crossed a few feet ahead. The bear crossed the trail after the first hit and expired a few feet on the other side. AK Fish & Game did the autopsy and found those 147's caused all sorts of trouble to the bear's plumbing & wiring. It's not the caliber but the bullet and cool hand accurately placing same.

Were it me, I'd want something familiar and reliable that I could repeatedly and accurately drive hard cast lead in a stressful environment. Probably a G17 or 22 with a Wheaton Arms SS barrel for lead. YMMV.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Yep
Most likely that whatever unfolds will be at a distance measured in feet not yards and at light speed
Personally if I wanted something for bear discouraging I'd choose a midsized/subcompact .40-.45 cal semiauto and shoot it a lot!
I personally hate shooting glocks but for down and dirty up close and personal and speed of getting off shots they have their place

Pat85

Mar 8, 2015
Pa.
Chesapeake said:
I purchased a SW 329 Night Guard. 44 mag, 2.5” barrel, scandium frame, stainless cylinder. Hasn’t arrived yet.
That’s what I have. Had a 629 Lew Horton stubby I carried before that. You won’t even know that 329 is on your side.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/8/10/alaska-outfitter-defends-fishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/

The guide story sounds familiar, though the version I’m familiar with involved a S&W 9mm auto and the guide said his standard carry pistol was a 629 44mag.

The 329 is a bit of R&D. I used to carry a Glock 20, but got tired of the weight and bulk. My issue is that if the pistol is heavy I tend to leave it behind. So I need something light enough I’ll carry it.
44mag in a 28oz. pistol may be too much. If so I’ll try lighter loads, and if still too much I’ll drop to 44 special. If that’s still too much I’ll trip it and get a 340PD in 357.
I know that’s handleable, but I’m trying the 44 to see.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Here’s your invisible post Pat......

Pat85 said:
Chesapeake said:
That’s what I have. Had a 629 Lew Horton stubby I carried before that. You won’t even know that 329 is on your side.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'll NEVER understand folks being in a hurry to buy/tote shit that never gets shot. Seen it a bajillion times,everywhere I've been and it has never worked worth a fuck...mainly because it can't.

If you gotta tke the shit you never shoot and start yarding spark plug wires outta it,to "get by",you might wanna rethink your plan.

Simply get something modest,that has a potential to be Precise and it can't go any other than your way.

I'd be 19x with CT grip in a Kenai...and just ordered same for a 34................

Pat85

Mar 8, 2015
Pa.
Big Stick said:
If you gotta tke the shit you never shoot and start yarding spark plug wires outta it,to "get by",you might wanna rethink your plan.
LOL, so true.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Big Stick said:
I'd be 19x with CT grip in a Kenai...
EDC would be good for Everyday. The Kenai would be an upgrade from sharing the chest pocket of a pair of Simms with the usual collection of leader cases.... *grin*

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I prefer the 34 as a Play Toy,due the trigger and sight radius. The 19x has better sights and is certainly a superior EDC parcel,with no flies on it anywhere.

I REALLY like the CT laser for same and anything that adds fun to the equation,is more than likely to bolster round count...which is never gonna hurt production. I'll get The 'Horn to fuck around with the 34 and I bet he buys one.(grin)

A guy at work FINALLY buckled and scooped a 317 3" AirLite 22LR and now he says "Fuck EVERYTHING else",which I get.

Funny stuff!...............

Pat85

Mar 8, 2015
Pa.
I shoot heavy loads out of my 329, Its very manageable. Drawback is your not going to get a split second followup shot because of the recoil.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Seen but haven't fondled a 34. Grock OEM plastic sights and their triggers are mission oriented but horrid. Spilling their guts, oggling all faying/moving surfaces and polishing same to a mirror finish ala Dremel/Foredom spun wool buffing wheel makes the triggers noticeably more pleasant. Lenny's NP3-coated 3.5# connector makes the worst mo' better....

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The 34 trigger ain't horrid,if only to it's credit. 19x sights TRUMP '34's version of same.

Will a 34/19x "outshoot" a P210,as Precision goes? Nope. Would I rather schelp a Grock for Run & Gun Utility? Yep. With the advent of the grip modules,I could suddenly drive Grocks...where as prior,nothing came close to working for me.

IMHO,the 19x is a happy blend of alotta attributes,which make sound practical sense,for Utilitarian use(s). It's a modest footprint,of modest weight,with unerring reliability and has enough mechanical attributes,to make shit go where one wishes,rather fucking easy.

I sure as fuck didn't order Kenai Kydex for my Model 21,because it's wayyyyyyy too much of a good thang. While reliability is there,it ain't very fucking handy and is purty fucking loud. Due those things,it'll never see the trigger time of farrrrrrrrrrr more enjoyable platforms.

Trigger time RULES the day,every day and ability is of greater importance than Fluff. I've yet to shoot anything,with anything,that wanted shot again.

Did I mention a laser yet?!?................(grin)

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Anyone tripping their previous gen glocks for the gen 5?

I've got a 17 gen 4 that sees little use. Is there any reason to step up to the new version?

I dont have any problems with the pistol. It is just that, and I can shoot'em all fairly well within a few mags. I don't know, I guess pistols don't horn me up much but if I'm missing out on something better, I'd like to know.

Maybe I need a CZ for a shooter and keep the glock for utility.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Gen 4 ergo's work for me. If the 5 was a better fit,I'd simply roll that direction.

Bought another Gen 4 34...just 'cuz.............(grin)

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I like the gen4 grip better than the gen5.
Gen5 has more beveled magwell.
Gen5 g34’s that I’ve seen have the cut out for the red dot sight.

I’d say unless you were tripping the 17 to get a gen 5 G34 to mount a red dot there wouldn’t be much reason.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
We were telling Bear Encounter Reports 2 days ago and a pard is now selling a 329 and going Grock/Kenai.

It's ALL about trigger time and the warm/fuzzy that ONLY arrives with same.

Surprised nobody has mentioned a laser yet?!?..................(grin)

stranger

Nov 3, 2017
AK
Anyone used the S&W 2.0C much? I sold my G19 a year ago and am thinking to get another gun that size. Was going to go G19 again, but the newer S&W gets some good reviews.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
While Imitation Grock's are more than a touch flattering to Gaston...they's still imitation Grocks.(grin)

Glock controls are a breeze to master and the 19 is easy to steer bullets with.

The 19/Kenai melding is Big Medicine,for them who actually shoot same...........

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Ran some 60 rounds through the 329 Nightguard. Wasn’t all that bad. Grizzly 260 grain hardcast (1425fps on box) were pretty sharp. Fiocchi 240 jsp 44mag weren’t bad, actually kind of fun. Shot 40 of those. And 165 Hornady 44 special at (900fps on box) were pussy cats and quite fun to shoot.

Pros: light, handy, powerful.

Cons: big 1.72” wide(glock 20 is 1.3”), loud (wouldn’t want to shoot without ear plugs), follow up shots will be slow, sight radious is short (4”), only holds 6 rounds.

I’ll play with it some more and see if it grows on me or not.