data-csrf="1711649994,1eab41a88cfb1a3e2e27101d95fa180c" build thoughts | As Real As It Gets

build thoughts

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
I've got a 700 SS SAUM donor inbound. I'm thinking of duplcating my 223AI in 7mm SAUM.
Goal is to be 7 pounds +/-

Trying to do it on the relative cheap. Thinking of having the bat cave rechamber a factory sporter SS 7mm08 to SAUM at 23"

Am I wasting my time and money?

Rman

Jun 4, 2008
Calgary, Canada
If the goal is to launch 162's at 3000 +, then no, not at all.
I did my Shamwow with a 7-08 tube, and it worked out well.

R.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Think about COAL and how you wanna handle that,whether extended internal box or DBM.

I'd be REAL tempted to go Atlas DBM..............

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Hmm...
Hadn't really thought much about COAL but per a friendly PM here and this info I guess I need to.

I don't really want to go DBM as I want to keep it ADL. But I don't hear a lot of love for the Wyatt's box either.

Tanner

Jan 24, 2013
Colorado
I haven't ever had much trouble getting 162s to shoot while leaping, but being able to get into lands would definitely make me feel a little better.

Tanner

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
nimrod1949 said:
Hmm...
Hadn't really thought much about COAL but per a friendly PM here and this info I guess I need to.

I don't really want to go DBM as I want to keep it ADL. But I don't hear a lot of love for the Wyatt's box either.
The better info/thought you put into a build...the happier you are gonna be.

I'm not a Wyatt Guy and much prefer OEM ADL myself,but would go DBM here................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'd be at eases in much shortening an Alpha 2's relative length,so less protrudes the stock's belly.

However in a ShamWow wearing a sane throat,the ubiquitous 5 rounders will do a guy proud and be far more tidy................

gbp

Sep 16, 2008
New Mexico
The Type 3's (WSM)mags have an internal measurement of 2.965 (Same as the Type 2's) and Atlas is now producing DBM without the big ""catch on everything"" lever.

gbp

Sep 16, 2008
New Mexico
the last time I spoke with Terry he was trying to get McMillan to cut the weight on his stocks, they insisted on the 'sniper fill'. You would think that someone who owned a proprietary stock design would have a say
perhaps with the new management

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
There's alotta cutouts on that pattern and I savvy the stance of caution and filling it heavy,so as to retain integrity.

Was thinking the Stock Department was under the same old hands and unchanged..............

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
Does anybody know if Terry is good with responding to emails or if it's better to call? Planning on installing his cheek hardware into a stock going on the wife's 243ai. Need to get that hardware coming quick.

gbp

Sep 16, 2008
New Mexico
You may be, probably are, right. I haven't talked to Terry anymore about it. He felt the stock was strong enough without the fill. It's been about 2 years since my last conversation with Terry on that issue. They are nice stocks, for their intended purpose, but they are heavy by the time you get them decked out

Matt

Jan 9, 2008
Alaska
gbp said:
the last time I spoke with Terry he was trying to get McMillan to cut the weight on his stocks, they insisted on the 'sniper fill'. You would think that someone who owned a proprietary stock design would have a say
perhaps with the new management
Interesting, but good to know. I was at their order form and there is an option to choose different fills for their stocks. What's up with that??

I'm digging the hell out of that stock though and want one anyways.

gbp

Sep 16, 2008
New Mexico
Maybe he got it done and good on him
as I said it's been two years since I talked to him about it

It is one of the few thumbhole stocks that can go from right to left handed. And me being an offshoot of both (left eyed - right handed) makes it nice.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
I'm calling this one finished. I've hunted with it the past two years in various stages of shootable.

WSM 700 action
Factory 7 SAUM barrel from the fire
High tech stock
Atlasworx DBM
PTG bolt handle Acutig'd on X caliber fluted and nitrided

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Big Stick said:
Is she "lucky"?!?...............
I had her screwed together for elk but haven't punched an elk tag with it. It is a hammer with Amax's on deer. Weighs ~7#12oz so isn't too heavy to carry while being a soft shooter.

Shoots like this...

So ya I'd say she's lucky.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
7mmMato said:
LOBO said:
Sweet! What mags are you using?
Thanks!

The mags are Accurate Mag 300 WSM. It feeds beautifully. I've done some really quick follow up shooting running back up on some poorly hit deer for a youth hunter and it doesn't miss a lick.

It is my Faux (GAP) Non-typical. I think it is a solid blue print.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
Big Stick said:
Bullet/speed?..............
The one in the picture is factory fodder I picked up with a donor for the brass.

I load and hunt with 162 Amax at about 2950 fps. I haven't chronograph the load yet. I need to stop "sharing" a chronograph with my dad in another state...