data-csrf="1711629413,981377585c9e89ebc9f9f4aac2927ff4" Bullets first... | As Real As It Gets

Bullets first...

StoneCold

Apr 4, 2009
southernCal
Heard it many times, think bullets first.

So here’s a question I need some wisdom on.

If you have a rifle, you pick the bullet that maximizes the headstamp. But, what if the donor doesn’t want to shoot that bullet?

I’ll use an example. I have a .308 - yeah I know - it was shooting poorly, so I picked it up for cheeeep! Blued model 7, 20” barrel, b&c stock, 10x ff. I have a ton of surplus sitting around too...but want to load for it too.

After determining proper assembly - it weren’t when I got it - I took several boxes of factory in different bullet weights. Shot some 150’s first. (Hoping to shoot the 155 scenar in loads.)They sucked. Tried 165’s - better. Shot 180’s - sub moa (partitions at that). Shot some 175 surplus - sub moa.

Will I be able to get the 155 scenar to shoot in my loads by varying powder charge and seating depth? Or is the saying “the gun will pick a bullet weight” gonna ring true?

I could just remAge it to 6.5 or 6 creed.....lol

Thanks,

SC

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Sevens suck.

You gotta neck the suck outta 308's.

308's all wear Linda Lovelace throats and a DBM is the fastest/easiest most reliable cure,due the binderless COAL increase option.

At like COAL,the shittier the bullet profile,the closer to lands it is. Partition Ping Pong BC's,nestle lands better than say a Skinner at like COAL. Hint.

Shoot a Skinner Smooch and weigh that difference,against magfed versions of same and then DBM appeal will paint a clear picture of potential.

A RemAge 6 Kreed spout will kiss 105/8's from OEM Seven confines and CRUSH a fucking 308. The non-Match freebore is shorter and the one you want,in a Seven and staying OEM COAL.

Hint...............

StoneCold

Apr 4, 2009
southernCal
Copy that, I’m following.

Seems to me the best way to dbm a seven is a chassis. By the time you get that all squared away, you could have just tripped the seven towards something else and darn near break even.

A RemAge on the other hand, makes sense if a guy wants to keep the platform and have something. Cost of the barrel and tools is good. Plus you can swap new ones on at will.

Part of me thinks a ruger American in an mdt chassis is cost effective. Wear it out, put the gun back to factory, trade it towards a new one and drop it back in the chassis. Rinse and repeat....

SC

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
I wouldn't go Ruger American in a chassis if you are trying to be budget minded. You are still compromising on the most important component, the barrel. Yeah, lots of them shoot well but most for least is a nut job barreled action in a Boyds or something serviceable. Remington or a Savage, it doesn't matter. I'd pillar & skim bed it properly and go spank the boys with high dollar shit. PS. I have some custom builds and though I enjoy them, all they do "more" of than anything else is cost me MORE money.

To answer your original question about finding a load for the 155s: Your gonna have to try to find out. I personally have had some mile-long throated chambers shoot well(sub 1/2"), but its typically been with light bullets driven fast, in 22 and 6mm chamberings. For me, when bullets get longer I find that its more critical to get them closer to the lands. I might eek out MOA accuracy jumping 100 thou, but I don't buy or build rifles to shoot into 1".

Now, would that kind of accuracy be good enough for some of my adventures? Sure it would be. I'm not ignorant, but it doesn't meet my personal standards. You have to decide what YOU are after.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
'15,Skinners,200's and Lapooey/Alpha brass,always does nice thangs.

I'd rather 270/105 than 308 and simply do.

Hint..............(grin)