data-csrf="1713562885,f6281bdd88527548b56a0ae33e01ccc8" Buying a Used Bow? | As Real As It Gets

Buying a Used Bow?

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I am a very causal archery guy. I don't need the latest and greatest, and my usage does not justify the cost associated with a brand new bow.

Is a 3-year-old bow a bad purchase, assuming it's in good shape and well cared for? Do these things have a shelf life?

Any feedback on the Mathews DXT, in particular?

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
As a minimum I would replace the serving, that will let you see the the shape of the string under it. If it's going to pop that is the usual location.

Other than basic maintenance, bows are really pretty tough. Make sure all screws are locked tight and start flinging arrows.

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
Sorry I'm not up on all the models, but Mathews have a solid rep.

Down here I would suggest you make sure nothing is de-laminating, from sitting in a truck window all summer.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
I have an old Mathews Legacy that is still going strong. If the bow that has caught your eye hasn't been abused, the string/cable is usually the only thing that will go south. If you have access to a particular used bow, take it to your local shop to see what they have to say as to necessary maintenance and adjustments to your draw length/weight/etc. and negotiate price in accord. I'm sure any Mathews bow would put a smile on your face and meat in the freezer.

J Elky

Dec 7, 2007
I've bought 3 or 4 off the classifieds on Archery Talk. Pretty easy to find a 2-3 year old bow for 1/2 the original price. My latest is a Mission by Mathews and I have zero complaints.

Witt

Dec 30, 2009
NE
I started archery about 6yrs ago, and I've bought both of mine used. It's cool to see somebody's new $1500 setup, but for a dude like me who would only shoot about 40yds in the field, who gives a fuck. I'll take a used naked bow for a few hundred bucks and just move my accessories onto it and get it fit to me.

Buddy of mine has an UGLY fucking ancient Browning, with good sights/rest/arrows and does serious work with it.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I decided to pass on the DXT. I currently have a Mission X2; nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. I'll stick with it a while longer.