data-csrf="1711658236,92c23fe5e6b617f9ef8ea184b3cb4eb5" Cheap azzed project gun..yikes! | As Real As It Gets

Cheap azzed project gun..yikes!

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
I'd been thinking of putting together a compact rifle that could do double duty as a calling gun and for shooting prairie dogs 'Western style'. I didn't want to spend a bunch and the latest off the shelf Remington 700's have been disappointing as to barrel quality.

I was wandering through the gun area in my local Scheels and spotted this white camo stocked rifle tucked back in the rack with a 'Sale' tag on it of $279. I mean...how good could that piece of junk be? Well, a couple of minutes later I was walking out with my latest 'deal' and contemplating P.T. Barnum's quote about fools and their money.

It's a Mossberg, gawd forbid. But a pretty slick Mossberg. The action is like a round 700, it has a fluted bolt, sliding plate extractor, floating bolt head and a barrel nut like a Savage, albeit much nicer looking. It's got a detachable box magazine that latches into a plastic reciever that fits between the action and the stock. This makes the bedding situation a bit herky but that can be addressed with some ProBed and some pillars. The trigger is adjustable and has the Savage style blade.

It's chambered 22-250, the barrel is 22" and nicely fluted with a decent looking crown. I JB'd the beejeezus out of the barrel, brushed and patched it until clean, then set about checking the seating depth. Fully expecting any bullet I tried to fall out the end of the case neck before contacting the lands, I started with a Nosler 40gr. BTip, just for the heck of it. Amazingly, it touched the lands with .100 of the shank still in the case neck. :eek: The 40 gr. BTips have long been a favorite of mine, plus I have over 4,000 of them. ;) Hey...this thing might not be too bad, after all. I slugged the barrel and it felt even all the way up.

With a 20 oz. 6.5-20 in Talley rings, it weighs 7lbs, 2 oz. and is pretty well balanced. A smaller fixed 6X for calling could drop another half pound from it.

If the weather continues to hang in there, I'll hopefully have a range report.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Fell into a POS 260AI yesterday and will toss it into a Classic McMillan wearing a Stealth DBM and feed it without binders. Have 147gr Hornie ELD's on the way and would suspect 2800fps in formed cases,as bein' easy to attain. Have some 143 Hornie ELD's coming too,just in case there is a twist or COAL hurdle I don't see comin'.

Think I'll slam a 6x MQ aboard in 2pc 1913 spec bases,shim same and then Low 'Horn 'em for all the inclination I can get. With the 147 at 2800fps and it's proposed .697 BC from a 225yd zero,the windshield alone will get a guy to the 1200yd line and it's only a paltry 27.3 Mils to the 2000yd line. One could reap that,with flat mounted DD's...but everything below zero is USELESS.

Actually woulda been nice to have it these last coupla days,with the winds trying to hit a Hunnert MPH.(grin)

Too bad Mossuhbergh and everyone else that DBM's,don't go to an AICS footprint,so a guy has some GOOD moves in the bank. I'm sure they could score a PMag for dick nothin' to cram in the hole,so they at least shipped with sumptin'. If that was done did and RPM's increased,everyone would win/win,whether they was of The Ping Pong Ball Crowd or of The Javelin Legion. It'd grant moves for a 22BR and 6BR repeater too,amongst others and both in 8" would connect alotta fucking dots by default,assumin' No-Turn necks.

Here's hopin' your weather is better than mine,as it assuredly ain't 40 Grainer Conditions...unless we's talkin' .177" and a 1-4" twist.(grin)

Hopefully the little bastard shoots well for you and I'd be purty suplized if it did not. I reckon 3/4" will come easily...................

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Weather has been outstanding, here. 70's in November is outstanding for Eastern Dakota Territory. Race car is put away and parts are ordered for that, so it's time to get back to the gun room.

Your 260AI plan sounds like a long range killer, given the optics layout.

My goal for the M..M..M..Mossberg (I can barely say it with a straight face :/ ) is for honest 1/2" 3 shot groups with a mild-ish load. The barrel will call that shot, like always. The bedding is a bit of a pesky issue as the rear action screw is right ahead of the trigger and the standard 1/4X28 screw allready is contacting the trigger housing...it's like a Timney standard trigger...solid in the front. I'll face the trigger housing off and make room for a thin walled pillar. The front gets a little weird...the DBM dealy-o is part of a plastic gizz-whizzy plate that sandwiches between the action and the stock. My thoughts are to chop the reciever portion off, fill up the recess with ProBed and pillar it like a 700. The DBM dealy-o will get screwed and epoxied diectly into the stock.

I would have had a 700 done by now.... :eek:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Good to hear,that someone has some nice conditions at their side.

I'll never be a 6.5 Guy,but like everything else,they're better than ever...due projectile improvements. Stumbled on a steal and couldn't say "no".

Manufacturers simply do NOT get it...nor close. Be curious to hear how she do,after you get the kinks ironed out...................

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
A cup of decent coffee and a half hour with a chunk of Delrin resulted in a follower for the detachable mag. box that feeds single stack style, 'ala a 788. A loaded 22BR chambers every time no matter how hard the bolt is operated.

Not a big deal for the 22-250 round of course as the case taper lets the chamber slurp it in.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Was just telling a pard yesterday,that I really oughtta should rebarrel a certain 224Wby VarmintMister to 8" 6BR at 20",due the single stack mag geometry.

I keep kickin' it around and get sidetracked with other thangs..................

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
I've only seen one 224 Wby. Varmint Master in the flesh and that was a NIB one that had been on the rack for several years after production ceased.

Pretty neat rifle but too nice for me. I'd have had the wood all goobered up by the time I left the store, ham handed as I am..haha.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Al Nyhus said:
I've only seen one 224 Wby. Varmint Master in the flesh and that was a NIB one that had been on the rack for several years after production ceased.

Pretty neat rifle but too nice for me. I'd have had the wood all goobered up by the time I left the store, ham handed as I am..haha.
Have only been around a handful and have suffered but a brace in the flesh...224 and 22-250.

Mine were both Japperby's,but far better than any/all attempts they've tried with 9 lugs and it remains funnier than shit,that a "lowly" Howa TRUMPS all of their 6 and 9-lugged efforts.

I yard a VarmintMister out now and again,to reiterate how much sumptin' can suck...............(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Oatmealsavage82 said:
A friend of mine had a couple of those mossbergs I really didn't enjoy seeing the groups he was shooting with it. Thing was accurate.
Chamberings?

The SLEEPER Shit,is an avenue that always sorta calls me....................(grin)