data-csrf="1711663597,facaa21bfd147d024af922b52019f216" Criterion | As Real As It Gets

Criterion

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
what do you guys know, or think about the Criterion RemAge barrels?

cant have a normal conversation on the other website im on, so i will take my gun stuff here if thats alright....

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Several threads, though maybe hard to search given the lingo used. Searching "James" seems to bring up most. Northland Shooters Supply, ect...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I ended up getting a bunch of them and ALL are hammers.

I'd not be aspooked.

Which chambering(s)?.................

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
May be the total combination, but my Criterion 6BR is the most accurate rifle I own. And I own a LOT of rifles.

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
right now its for this rifle, which is a 80s i think 700 Varmint Special .223.. the stock has been bedded, barrel floated, trigger done, etc, but for some reason i just cant get it to shoot how i want it to, and ive tried all the best ammo you can get for it, Hornady ELD Match, Black Hills Match, Sig Match, Nosler Match, Atomic Match, even down to Norma Tac .223... so when i let the GF shoot it, she just sprays 100 dollars worth of ammo down range before i can blink, it shoots alright, but i want it to print 5 under a dime at 100....

then, if i cant get the other rifle to start doing what i want, it will be that one as well...

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
im also possibly thinking about getting rid of this stock and buying the Magpul https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319572587

i dont care for that scope thats on it honestly, its a 1980s Japan Tasco 8-32X, its a target super fine hair bench rest scope, and its a bitch using hold over after ive gotten so used to my SWFA on my Bergara HMR...

ktnlocksmith

Apr 30, 2019
My 7-08 barrel is a hammer. I'd like to do another and am keeping my eye out locally for a SS donor.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
5 under a dime with factory ammo is a pretty tall order, even with a custom barrel, in my opinion.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
On the 223 shown,the scope is junk,as is the mounting system.

I've multiple James spouts in 223,with multiple stops in 7",7.5" and 8" and all are Hammer.

The MagPul is a pile of schit. Bang for the buck,bed whatcha got,assuming you don't reload. If/when you Reload,you'll QUICKLY grow outta OEM COAL contraints and then it's time to think AICS DBM for certain.

KRG Bravo will get you there quickest,for the least and less concession(s).

A 10x MQ would solve ALOTTA issues and doubly so,if given an extended 1913 and max ring spacing.

SampleList 10x MQ RINK...............

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
I've owned six of them and all shot sub 1/2" at 100 yards without much effort.

I've been around some others that were same.

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
nice rifles as always Stick... so now you are confusing me tho, who is "James", is he the owner of Criterion or is he a smith or what? because you have a Shilen on that last one, and ive thought about them as well, but they arent as "easy" to install vs the RemAge barrels with the Savage nut from Criterion....

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
... and the "shilen" referenced is a trigger, not a barrel. Grin.

Figger it out noob. (still grinning)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Shilen spouts have never REALLY impressed me and are easy to walk past.

Their Double Ounced S/S triggers(fuck the safety),are straight up sensational and CRUSH the fuck outta Jewell and the like.

James Kessler is NSS(Northland Shooters Supply),who is THE guy for Criterion RemAge spouts. He KNOWS his shit,is on it and ships FAST. Cain't say enough good thangs about him,or his business and much of it is on the shelf ready to roll.

Tough to whoop a 7" James 223 SALAMI,along with a RHR Terrain and AICS DBM,for turn-key no bullshit PRECISION.

Pass the AM Steel 5's and MDT Poly 10's...............

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
was just reading this a bit ago and then you replied... thats what im wanting is that type of performance... the issue im having is getting it installed... one gunsmith said he wouldnt do it and would rather do an ER Shaw barrel (i dont want one of those at all), and another said it could be 125, or 300 if he has to inlet the stock (he will, its bedded)...

if im going to have to have a bunch of stock work done, then i may as well just slap it in a chassis from the beginning...

ive also been thinking about Lilja barrels, but it will go up in price vs the Criterion because more work will be involved on the install, and will take longer...

im still gonna go with Criterion, just need to find a smith around here that will help me out and do it, and not charge me an arm and a leg....

i also think i can send the barreled action into Northland, and they can install, is that correct?

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
I'm not sure about Northland installing. They might do it. If it were me I'd buy the barrel, recoil lug, go gauge, & wrench from NSS and do it yourself. Stock inletting should be minimal (none on mine) and it's literally a 5-10 minute deal if you already have the factory barrel off. It's not difficult as long as you understand what you're doing in terms of headspacing a barrel. I'd be glad to discuss it with you if you need some guidance. But you'd be on your own to get it done.

Keep in mind that buying a Criterion may not guarantee a 1/2" rifle with factory ammo, but they are very good barrels. Can factory ammo shoot well? YES, for sure. But handloading is still the best way to get there--assuming your rifle is solid (bedding, trigger, headspace, scope/mounts, etc.)

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
Criterion are nothing short of phenomenal barrels for the price. Putting them in the same sentence as ER Shaw is an insult to CBI (no digs on the poster but rather towards the 'smith).

If you've never headspaced, it's like cutting. Check twice (and then three times) before putting your face behind it. Ejectors can play tricks on you if you headspace with ejectors in place.

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
so i just called and talked with James, really cool guy... need to do some measuring on the barrel and whatnot first before i order, but for everything, barrel, gauges, nut, wrench etc, he said it would be like 550, which honestly isnt that bad at all... ill be ordering one in the next couple weeks for sure, no real rush to order immediately as you cant find any god damn ammo here, and everything is shut down anyways... state lands, parks, gun ranges, etc, all closed... they have even closed fishing..

i also think i may actually be able to do this myself, and not pay someone to do it, i just need to take it slow, and pay attention, i may ask someone for some help that has done things like this before tho, as i dont have an area to even do it really but my brothers garage..

anyways, thanks for your guys help, and i can wait to get this thing shooting great.. thinking im going with either a 8 or 9 twist right now, i would like to shoot semi cheap ammo for now IE Hornady ELD Match, Black HIlls, Fiocchi, Norma etc, vs the higher end stuff thats 40 bucks a box, we usually slam 2-300 rounds of .223 out when we go to the range, and expensive ammo will make a 100 dollar trip to the range turn into 400...

thank you guys...

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
it will shoot 55s as accurate as 80s? i thought that the heavier bullets are longer which creates a longer COAL? or am i way off on that?

i dont have the space right now to reload, so i will be using mid priced ammo, the 73 grain ELD's are like 30 a box for 20 rounds here which is expensive, so id like to be able to shoot the cheaper stuff at 12 ish a box, up to the Black Hills that are 35 for 50 rounds with the SMK bullets..

i dont want to get into a situation where i can only shoot a certian grain of bullet, which is why i was thinking an 8 or a 9, (James also suggested that when i told him what i would be doing), Katie wont be shooting 1k with it, mainly 300-600, but i would like to try to stretch it a bit someday maybe, and i figured that 73s would be alright for that, not the best but alright?

we also have 150 bucks on our Amazon account we need to use, and i figured i would get this out of the way now, if anything i can put it on my 700 M40 and start shooting that again, what do you guys think about this scope, i follow their FB page and the reticle seems alright, but i dont know much else about them other than people love them... i like my SWFA but a variable from them jumps WAY up in price, especially the HD scopes...

obviously i need to get rid of that stupid 1 peice scope base/mount system, and get another rail from EGW like you previously told me about Driftin, i bought 2 of those actually, one for the 700 and one for the Bergara HMR...

https://www.amazon.com/Athlon-Optics-Riflescope-Illuminated-Reticle/dp/B0157N4640/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=swfa+scope&qid=1586106697&sr=8-2

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
In this day and age,when talking a 223 boltgun...anything other than 7" RPM is just plain fucking stupid.

Same goes deviating a Fixed Fucker.............

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
alright, i will go with a 7 then... i guess if anything, Katies dad reloads and is actually loading up a bunch of 55s for us for the AR and whatnot, if need be, i can buy heavier bullets and have him do those up too, it actually would be nice to be able to run 80s, but i dont want to get stuck only being able to shoot heavy vs readily available stuff like 55s...

if you guys say it will work, ill take your word for it...

Driftin talked me into buying my SWFA a while ago, although he told me a 10x, i like to see things better, so i went with a 16X (i got the scope, tac rings 2 sets, for 220 dollars) and i love it, but why are you guys so stuck on fixed scopes? is there an advantage im not seeing? all these PRS guys have these super expensive NightForce scopes and Leupold MK8s and shit, is all that just for nothing? i do know that Katies dad and the other top benchrest guys use fixed scopes, but her dads are some Leupolds he had bumped up to like 38X and thats way too powerful for what im intending on doing...

i suppose i could go with another 16X SWFA i love that reticle honestly, very easy to use, and very easy to remember...

i just want to make this a fun tackdriver that i initially thought it was going to be, but the barrel is smoked, i might enter one of the 600 yard shoots out here when everything opens back up, so im sucking in all the knowledge on this that you guys provide, i know .223 isnt ideal for that, but im pretty confident in my shooting skills... building rifles, not so much, as ive never done it before besides throwing together my 10/22...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The 16x is a bust,as compared to the 12X. That's not a SWFA slam,but simple Mechanics/Physics and is a constant with ALL Manufacturers. ln comparison,the 10x simply steals the show and it's not even "close". X's mean dick nothing,in the grand scheme and it's ALL about mechanics.

Reserve RPM opens doors,it do NOT close same.

Hint.................

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
if you guys say it will work, ill take your word for it...
Regarding the 1-7" twist 223 Match from NSS, which also has the longest freebore that he offers. Mine shot my standard 40 grain load as well as my 1-12" twist 223's. Benchmark powder and a 40 grain Nosler ballistic tip. You'll be fine with the 1-7" twist.

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
ok guys, im going to order one here soon, what chamber do you guys go with? standard .223, match, or Wylde? Wylde would allow me to run 5.56 ammo, but is it going to be as accurate as a match chamber? (thats the one im thinking of getting is match)

also, Stick, what is the contour of your rifle in the KRG chassis? id like to stay similar to what this already is, and yours looks pretty damn close...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A KRG will eat up big contours,go as big as he's got and you are there.

You can run 5.56 in any/all of them,that's Wives Tales bullshit. I don't have his Wylde,so cain't speak to it,but have multiples of the others. I shoot 75's/88's in everything and when in doubt,prefer less freebore..................

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
ok guys, im going to order one here soon, what chamber do you guys go with? standard .223, match, or Wylde? Wylde would allow me to run 5.56 ammo, but is it going to be as accurate as a match chamber? (thats the one im thinking of getting is match)

also, Stick, what is the contour of your rifle in the KRG chassis? id like to stay similar to what this already is, and yours looks pretty damn close...
Post up pics when she gets there...

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
alright, i will go with the match chamber, 7 twist, 24 inch to keep it the same as it is, the end of the muzzle is slightly over 3/4s of an inch, so that would be a .800 ish contour, i think, or in that range... will be going stainless..

now the rest of it... i know why i need the nut wrench, but why do i need the action wrench? i watched a video of some guy installing one of these, and he used a pipe wrench to take the old shot out barrel off, because it was garbage anyways so marring it meant dick... what does the action wrench do?

i know i will have to get a tourqe wrench, can borrow one so im good there...

now this might be a stupid question, but would any of you be willing to let me borrow the go and no go gauges so i dont have to spend 60 dollars on them for a 1 time gig? im going to buy the nut wrench because if i like this barrel, i will put another one on my Bergara 6.5..

or are any of you in central WA that might be able to help me with this?

or is it legal for me to ship the action and barrel to someone minus the trigger group and me pay you?

i dont have a shop, my brother does have a garage but the wife got diagnosed with breast cancer last October and it fucked the entire hollidays and nephews birthday up, and with all this shit going on we are trying to keep her as safe as possible, my fiance is a nurse in Seattle and is around this sh!t daily so right now isnt the time to all go over there and hang out...

if anyone can loan me the gauges when i get set to do this, i can pay for the shipping both ways.. just trying to keep this as cheap as possible, but dont want to order something and need things again and have to wait, etc...

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Just send it all to Shaen...or have it sent to him.

That way, it's done right and you're good to go from the start...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Getting the old barrel off will be a cunt and that's what the wrench is for. I've pipe wrenched lotsa old barrels off,but you gotta have something holding opposite same.

I don't torque shit and don't make barrel nuts up that tight at all.

No longer than 21" for me,but I am happy to hacksaw where I please,for balance/handling................

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
i was going to go with 24 because it keeps it all the same... wont be hunting with this rifle, strictly a target rifle, so weight really isnt an issue... plus its cheaper as he charges more for barrels under 24 inches...

with that said, since its a target rifle, should i stick with the target crown vs the hunter crown? what do you guys do when they are target only rifles?

the video i watched, the guy used a standard vice, wrapped the action in a towel, tightened it down, and pipe wrenched the thing off, ill see if i can find it again... he did everything rather quickly...

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
nevermind, that is just installation...

oh, Rolltide, who is Shaen and where is he?