data-csrf="1714052324,6191852fc2a15eff6443e8138d6bf805" Criterion | As Real As It Gets

Criterion

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
talked with Shaen, really really cool guy, going to order the barrel here probably early next week, then ship everything to him and have him do it...

thanks for all your guys help, i really appreciate it..

cant wait to have this thing doing what it should be doing...

thanks again guys, i will post pictures when everything is said and done...

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Reading retention....

No longer than 21" for me,but I am happy to hacksaw where I please,for balance/handling................
While aftermarket stocks and chassis are indeed spiffy, I'd also be hard pressed to not just drop the works back into the stock stock and see how she does. Can also bed lug/tang in due course. She's pretty as she sits and will surely shine brightly with a 7-twist spout when fed properly....

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
thats the plan for now, im sending everything down to him, since its bedded, it may need to be gouged out because of the barrel nut, so id rather him just do it all vs me possibly screwing something up... i do like the Rem stocks, always have...

im just curious as to why the shorter barrel, for me, its fine as it is, it is heavy tho, but nothing i cant manage... i can see the plus side for Katie as removing 3 inches would create a little less weight, but is losing 100+ FPS worth it? wont that translate into a massive drop in FPS at distance? or is it minimal and not anything to worry about?

arent longer barrels considered more accurate? or is 3-4 inches less not much to worry about? are longer barrels reserved for longer distance shooting than a .223 is capable of?

what am i missing here?

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
At the end of it all, trite velocity changes and weight are rather moot points. Like most things in life, balance is the issue.

You's obviously confused about external ballistics. Internal ballistics for a small volume case like .223 is akin to a Piper Cub doesn't require a 747 runway. Highly doubt the final 3 to 4-inches of runway will grant 100 fps for given conditions. Might even grant you more fps to chop it. It just depends....

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/barrel-length-vs-velocity/247991

Hint: Slow down and read/re-read what has been proffered in this thread. Shaen will make it all come together nicely.

Last edited:

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
this is why the internet aggrivates me, your article shows that it can possibly increase FPS, and this article shows that it decreases FPS...

same test by cutting the barrel, 2 different results...

100 PFS as the muzzle yeah i can understand its not that much, but what does it do at 600 yards, 500? 700?

im reading everything as i always do, but it gets confusing, because Shaen has rifles that he built and alot of them have 24 inch barrels on them, they arent .223 tho, and i do know that there are optimal lengths for certain cartridges so i guess that doesnt really matter much...

right now, i love the rifle, i just dont love how it shoots, and i dont want to spend 500+ dollars on something and not like it in the end.... i suppose i could go fuck with one of the SPS Tac rifles in 20 inch and see how it feels... actually, i think i will do that this week... Sportsmans had a couple, cartridge isnt going to matter so ill see what a 20 inch will feel like for me...

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
see im not going to ever hunt with it... you cant hunt large game in Wa with a .22 cal anyways, so you could only shoot coyotes and small game with it anyways, and since im not into eating dogs, id just assume use my 6.5 to drill a coyote...

rabbits and the likes, i can use my .22, but i honestly dont even plan to hunt them either...

stick uses his rifles for other things i assume, this is just going to be a target rifle... so the need to be able to maneuver better in a hunting situation, i can understand whats being said, but for a bench rifle, what are the benefits of going shorter than the stock set up its already at, is all im asking... if there are no benefits off of a rest or bag, then why pay more money for it?

my 6.5 has a 22 inch barrel on it, but its not a "heavy barrel", and is pretty easy to manipulate itself...
B14.jpg

in the end, i just want this thing to be the most accurate it can be, thats all that matters to me...

Brett

Oct 19, 2013
OK
All else being equal a shorter barrel is stiffer, which in theory would group smaller.

MV difference lessens the further you get from the muzzle. 75 ELDs at 3000fps and 2900 at the muzzle, end up being 1445 and 1372 at 1000 yds; 73 fps difference.

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
ok now THAT is something i get... longer barrels are more succeptible to barrel whip...

thanks for that Brett.. i completely over looked that, and that is very important...

with that said tho, is there much barrel whip on .900 diameter barrels vs hunting contour barrels?

Evo

Apr 30, 2019
shit you can say whatever you want, im not like some other people that are always super strict about "topics", you can never learn enough, and im always trying to learn more...

with bench rifles, the barrels get super super heavy, ive seen some that were pushing 1.5 inches, and that is to deal with the harmonics and "whip", but generally those calibers are a lot bigger than .223 rounds, i think...

Katies dads rifles are a 6BR, a 6PPC which is based off the .220 Russian, and another one, not sure what it is... both of those cases are larger, but the velocities are around the same... are harmonics and whip the same all across the board for all cartridges, or do things start settling down when you get lower in projectile size and weight as the force to drive them that fast is decreased?

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
So the point of going from 12-twist to 7-twist is to fling heavier, higher BC pills, right? Probably 75's or a tad heavier/slicker, right? Referencing your article and neglecting the lighter pills for obvious reasons, the heavier 68 grain pills lost a whopping 64 fps at the muzzle from chopping a 24" tube to 20" by way of example. Whoop-D-F'in'-Doo. You can do the math for a 21" or 22" tube. If you're still concerned of such trifles as to 700 yards, well....

For external ballistics edification to answer your own question regarding the advantages of higher BC's at the ranges you are all wound up about, Google up JBM Ballistics and run the numbers....

Shooter71

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I just read through this. I do have 24” barrels, but anything I’ve built for others with barrels that long was because I couldn’t convince them to go shorter. I’d go 21” for sure. Just finished a montana .223 at 20.5” and wouldn’t want longer. I think my montana 223ai is around 20” but might be shorter.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
EGW is fine but you might try Seekins base and rings. Maybe even have the receiver threaded 8-40. More money though....
The 223 is low recoil, so probably overkill.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Balance is worth any/all velocity "trades". That whether a loss in velocity or a gain,due to chopping or building for balance. Muzzle diameter means dick nothing,though obviously when shortening a given spout,rigidity is increased and that is not a bad thang. GOOD trades all Win/Win.

As far as scope mounting options,keep in mind that maximum ring spacing is your scope's best friend and that all erector travel below Zero,is 100% fucking USELESS. Gimme MAX ring spacing and a bottomed out erector,at Zero. I've 75 MOA inclination,on more than a few rifles. 60 is another standard,as 40 MOA rings and 20 MOA rails abound.

I happily chop my 6BR's too. My favorite 22PPC and 6PPC Improved's wear 20" spouts.

Balance is ALWAYS balanced......................