data-csrf="1711633680,5961e663577d970565fa9357e441f356" Dan Pfaffinger | As Real As It Gets

Dan Pfaffinger

Uncle Dave

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Yep, I was thinking of calling him to find out how much $ for the camaro. The 1st chevelle is pretty damn cool too though.

Think I'm better off not calling. Could only cost me money.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
One of these days I'll probably have to get myself a 68-69 camaro.

Timing is about right to blame it on a mid-life crisis...

remsen

Dec 9, 2007
Danville, CA
New cars sure make amazing numbers and are easy to drive fast, but for those of us who grew up with American 4 barrel v8s and block long burnouts, those pics sure do bring back good memories. New cars are so damn pussified.

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
I have a '64 malibu coupe squirreled away in my Dad's shop in WA. It's relatively straight, and I drove it through high school and college. At some point I'll resurrect it and give it some proper attention.

The new stuff is pretty interesting - it would take an awful lot of money to make an old smallblock chevy head of any factory or aftermarket flavor flow like any of the new-ish LS-X heads, and the newer engines are pretty doggone ubiquitous. Need a computer to run it in something old, though.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I was eyefucking pricing this morning and was much surprised how "cheap" many of his goods were................

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Got a question for the crowd....

How important would matching numbers be to you were you to pull the trigger on a classic?

How about "clones"?

I'm not all that concerned with matching numbers, though it would be nice; but I can't get interested in a clone at all!

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Loud,fast and cool is all that would make a fuck to me. I'd not be looking to invest in anything but lotsa gas & tires.(grin)

I could get into a flat black Sleeper with character.................

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
If it's special, matching numbers are nice.

If not, they're not.

Given a choice, I'd take a nice non-pristine pedestrian ride versus a fake SS...

JMO

406 SBC

Jun 5, 2010
If'n you want to resale, gotta have matching numbers or your return will be pennies on the dollar. If'n you're going to drive it forget the numbers and roll a clone.

As one that has put together cars for all kinds of reasons and for many years, I'm a clone guy through and through. That's because I've seen the market long enough to know it is too fickle to risk investment and having driven the originals enough to know that 4 wheel disk brakes, modern ignitions and the newer transmissions are more than a little better if you want it to go when you turn the key.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Does this bring back some fond memories.... Late 60's muscle still quickens the ticker. Spent a fair spell in the co-pilot seat of friend's Chevelles, Camaros, Goats, Cudas, Cougars, Mopar and the like. There was somehting about feeling your cheeks stretch back when all those horses were busted loose.

Have always had a soft spot for Camaros, and nearly bought a 68 SS, but couldn't agree on price. Woulda been dirt cheep by today's standards. Cousin had a Super Bee. I helped the neighbor's son swap the 396 for a 427 hemi in his new 69 Chevelle SS. He raced it at SIR a couple times and said it was too hard on his baby. It sat on blocks for a few decades. Saw it on a trailer with the original 396 blocked-up when he was moving it. Less that 5k original miles, dark forest green with the twin white stripes.....

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
It don't get any better than a 68 Camaro.

Read a funny Camaro comment online a while back and it stated: "If Camaro's had dicks...Chuck Norris would suck them"..................(grin)

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Big Stick said:
It don't get any better than a 68 Camaro.
I knew you had good taste. *grin*

The Fast & Furious generation doesn't know what displacement can do for a ride. A bud's father had a black '63 diamond back Vette. I remember that thing heel over on the port side from the torque when his old mad romped on it....

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A 9,000 RPM 327 Mouse Motor is easily "music" in my book...but it ain't like a big block would suck..................

TWR

Feb 27, 2009
Oklahoma
Love the 69 camaro but I wouldn't fret the numbers. A Yenko COPO 69 camaro was built race ready and had a few different things. One was a 37amp alternator with a deeper pulley, model # 1100837 look em up on e-bay, originals go for a grand or more even though the same alternator runs $30 at any parts store...

Don't fret the numbers, collectors have deep pockets and lots of fakes out there.

stam

Mar 26, 2008
wherever I want to be....
Brother Bill said:
Got a question for the crowd....

How important would matching numbers be to you were you to pull the trigger on a classic?

How about "clones"?

I'm not all that concerned with matching numbers, though it would be nice; but I can't get interested in a clone at all!
For guys looking for a place to hide some money, then get it back, matching #'s are the way to go, if you want to burn gas and tires... tight, fast, smooth and shiny (or matte) is all that matters.

How many nice Cuda's, do you even see on the road anymore? all the rich kids grabbed them up and they are now ratholed away in collections, I hope they take a beating on them. Drive that shit up...