data-csrf="1711641726,ee44133c9cfb915235df68a3f7bf90a7" Don't want to be forced to suffer... | As Real As It Gets

Don't want to be forced to suffer...

GansettX

Feb 5, 2015
WV
Ok gents, I'm all strapped in and have my helmet on ready for some help...I picked up a 6x MQ and am sticking it in 1" height horn rings on an EGW rail atop a Salvage 220 for some shotgun only whitetail fun in November. Not wanting to be forced to guess, where should I start with my inserts? I'll be banging 260gr accutips at 1900 fps and would like all I can get on the windsheild...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
40 MOA.

-.020" front and +.020" rear...on the lower ring saddles.

The windshield is always the windshield,so there is always that constant,in that it is an etched static.

Were you exceptionally greedy,you could coax all of the internal adjustment,so that the erector wouldn't even allow a 125yd(arbitrary yardage number) crosshair intersection zero...but at mechanical bottom of erector travel,you'd then simply use the vertical wire above crosshair intersection as your starting zero point. So if of that bent,you could reap 42 Mils on the erector and 15 Mils on the windshield,for a total of 60 Mils effective. For perspective,a .150BC at 1900fps at .58cal...burns less than 55 Mils to the 1000yd line.

Stay with a crosshair intersection zero,bank on the 10 Mils below,upon the windshield and you can more than have your way.

Even if the EGW rail has 20MOA in it,my opening move would be 40MOA inserts,given the bullet cited and it's speed..............

GansettX

Feb 5, 2015
WV

Exactly what I was looking for Stick..Appreciate it!

hangunnr -

I'm thinking on a 200+ lb whitetail I might could have acceptable accuracy with that salvage out to just shy of 300, I've seen it done with this shotgun and ammo but my bud was gunning a reupold ultimate slam and I'm thinking I'd rather be ready to go at the drop of a hat than ask that target to wait while I adjust power to find proper yardage. My question was to afford myself all the inclination the MQ would provide before I need to start twisting turrets...you have different thoughts?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The reticle alone,will get you wellllll past the 300yd line.

Once one understands,what do what and more importantly WHY...then "distance" as most think of it,becomes fairly fucking moot.

Is a Salvage 220 lobbing 20ga slugs gonna win at Camp Perry? Nope. Will it reliably crush Victims in zipcodes most cain't begin to fathom? Yep.

Much to be said for a scope designed to do,what scopes are designed to do,which is simply steer boolits. Them simplistic concepts,that can do nothing other than bear fruit...reliably fucks with alotta heads.

Seen it..............(grin)

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Big Stick said:
The reticle alone,will get you wellllll past the 300yd line.

Much to be said for a scope designed to do,what scopes are designed to do,which is simply steer boolits. Them simplistic concepts,that can do nothing other than bear fruit...reliably fucks with alotta heads.
To keep it stupid simple for the OP, and to confirm any JBM data, just zero your slug gun at 50 paces then shoot some groups at 100 and whatever subsequent interval you want out to 300 whilst holding on reticle's intersection. Read the drop in mils on the reticle. Record same. That will be your proven dope for those distances. No need for twisting turrets on the range or in the woods. With the inherent simplicity/utility of the mil-quad FF, the same process can be utilized to zero a rifle with one poke.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I like to gun a known distance(100yds). That will grant an opportunity to weigh the mechanics of both Accuracy and Precision. From there,I simply establish a zero that isn't greedy and shoot confirmations.

Swapped scopes on a rifle last pass,with my Tramping Pard in tow. Boresighted,shot once at the 100yd line,adjusted turrets,gunned a confirmation poke and zero'd the works. Then the next poke was a cunt hair past 1400yds and on the money,which I explained to him,reassured that all from the muzzle to that distance was in sync.

Not much to it...............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Cain't wait to yard the 3-15x MQ offa the Heavy 6BR and go 10x MQ Fixed Fucker instead.

I'm gonna give AA a while more to come through with the Electric Hummer and then I'll jerk the rug and likely add another Anschutz to the larder..............

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Sorry for the delayed reply....

Have only seen 2 of the Savage slug guns in the flesh. Neither would hold sub 4" at 150. Both were very prone to plastic fouling. Accuracy, while never stellar went straight to hell when dirty. Both guns were blued, maybe the stainless barrels are better.

I really wanted to believe in them when they showed up but they wouldn't out run my Browning Gold so I didn't pursue any further.

Hope your results are better than mine.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Oh, and by the way....

If you're wishing to experiment with different loads I can hook you up with several different flavors...

GansettX

Feb 5, 2015
WV
Driftin'

Thanks for the K.I.S.S. option...that's exactly what I plan to do, but didn't want to start short handed in the rings being given so many options...remember I'm a Stupid Bitch and if you don't believe me look under my username.

hangunner

I appreciate the above offer, but for the same reason I reached out here for my fast lesson on horn ring inclination I wouldn't want to suffer what someone else has already proven...all the flavors shown above have already been suffered by others and proven to shoot like chit (if only out of the 220's spout). If you want moa accuracy out of the salvage you should suffer nothing less than the 3" Accutip. Anything else and your just proving whats already been proven...definition of insanity. Thanks for the well wishes and I'll be sure to report back with my results.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Be curious to hear how it unfolds.

Am thinking 500yd gallon milk jugs,would be in DEEP trouble,on a fair day...................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've slugged alotta shit that couldn't be slugged,back in The Day,when slug guns,slug ammo,rangefinders and scopes largely sucked.

It'd be fun to stretch Today's wares out.................

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
Two blue's purchased prior to arrival of the stainless in our house. Both have been quite accurate out to 200 and I've never stretched them further. At one time Federal had a loading with a Barnes slug that is a one holer in my gun all day. It has been discontinued. I found a stash and purchased all I could. They reallly should bring those back. Gun #2 is shooting SST's at about an 1.5 at a hundred. Just picked up a McMillan Special m40 with a stumpy LOP and considering a barrel chop. My shotgun area can have up close buckshot hell bent for leather in front of the dogs whitetail shots, and 300 yard why the hell do I only have buckshot shots and stands are luck of the draw. I take two guns.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
GansettX said:
Driftin'

...remember I'm a Stupid Bitch and if you don't believe me look under my username.
Stick around these parts and you'll likely mitigate that problem...

and get poorer for the effort! *grin*

Have heard good things about the 3" AccuTips outta said Salvage--

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD6ZBruKXGI[/video]

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Seeing that pic of $100 worth of ammo that won't shoot reminds me of how thankful I am my slug days are behind me. The Savage looks like an idea that works, though that plastic stock looks like an opportunity if you're going long-range.

bhemry

Oct 8, 2008
The used one I acquired a few years ago didn't last too long after this shooting session. Went back to my 870.

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
M40 Mickey due in Wednesday. May have to sacrifice some of the hoarded Federal next weekend at 300 just to see. My hunting areas are increasingly shitgun only. The Annie 1416 T6 was a good warmup today.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
JujeeSue is coming for close to a week and I'll prolly turn him loose with the Retrostalgic M40A1 Return Hart Dick Rifle and 75ELD's...to get his mind right.

I'll be gunning 22 Grendel Krunchenticker...........(grin)

GansettX

Feb 5, 2015
WV
A little healthy competition always makes it more fun, but you guys are gonna make me send it to McMillan before I even try it out...laffin'

Horn inserts are set, accutrigger is as light as I can get her...weather here not gonna help me make any statements...crap rain Friday and Saturday and today Is blowing 17 mph gusts...

minengr

Dec 7, 2010
Harrisburg, IL
Living in a shotgun only state the Savage 200's are pretty popular in my area. Most guys I know are shooting 385gr Lightfields, but rarely do you get a shot over 200 yards in these parts.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Was watching video yesterday,of a guy shooting 200yd cleans on claybirds with said rifle and a scope welllllllll shy of Fixed Fucker abilities. Another killing Deer at 300yds with a like rifle.

500yd milk jugs would not be very fucking safe...........

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
M40 is in from the specials list. I didn't read the part about sniper fill cause all I saw was stumpy lop and couldn't pull the trigger fast enough. Still far better then issued plastic and I feel less like I'm hunting with a shitgun. Range time this weekend.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Preconceived notions are funny.

I'd been telling JujeeSue what do what and more importantly WHY,for a spell now. 15 seconds into her visit,it ALL made perfect sense...because she was the one on the trigger.

The requisite Shopping Spree to keep pace,tends to make noses bleed..............(grin)

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
The inletting on the m40 was a bit generous and the bottom metal needed some fiddling. I'll snug up bedding and find some accu-tips will have 300yard range work in a week or two. Farthest I can go. May as well change glass at this point as I've lost all faith in Leupold. Puked another fx3 6x. Illuminati and rail in route.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The elder Reupold soundly trump their more recent efforts.

Was fighting a Reupold 6x42 earlier today..................

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
GIANT dead spot in windage AND elevation. It don't rattle. Yet. if I were shooting a box it would have been perfect because the SOB thinks 4 clicks equals 8 inches.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Was having 2 to 3" POA/POI shifts at the 35yd line,after making adjustments.

Got it pretty close and haven't touched it since,but it will be nice to MQ and be done fucking around..................

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
Still not bedded but snuggled up screws and tossed on a scope for some range time at a 100 only. The AccuTips 3" 260gr are HOT shit. Joe Cooter Redneck 8 feet down filled his shorts when I touched the first one off. Happy 4th of Fucking July he says. No chrono but for all the fire and smoke they damn well better be 1900 as advertised. NOTICEABLY hotter than the 2 3/4 Hornady and Federal. Still waiting on 3" Federals. This gun still hates all things SST. Green weenies were 2in one hole and one a touch further out. Not the equal to the old Federal Barnes but damn close. News at 300 in two weeks. I hope.

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
The ruger Predator 6.5 kreed stole the show for the day with 147 Eld's. I have a Boyd's for it but the inletting sucks. I'd gladly pay double for an American in a proper stock. Two dollar tits on a 100 dollar whore.

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
220f = 2
Optics = 0.
The old vx2 spare that was on it never moved but I've killed a vx3i and now an illuminati. This gun always got the spare glass and I try to dedicate one to it and fail. The illuminati had about 200 rounds of 223 thru it and there's noticeable slop in windage and elevation knobs. Yes....the set screws were loctited.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Have yet to see a Fixed Fucker bobble and am privvy to over a hunnert of 'em. Have never seen a "bad" Illuminati either,but am of course still trying...on both levels.(grin)

Cain't know anyone,who hasn't seen a Reupold puke.

Went "fixed" windage here on the Franken Fucker and will go FULL Retard on both adjustments,with another parcel that is setting in the wings. Mainly because a Fixed Fucker's windshield,simply CRUSHES the whole enchilada,offered by most Maker's Models.

Folks FIXATE on the shit that connects the least dots and reliably miss the EASE,in which Dastardly Deeds are arranged. It is prudent to correlate the windshield,in relation to the erector,so one simply KNOWS what the fuck is going to happen,well before the trigger gets pressed.

An etched reticle that is intuitive,of a graduated scale and unwavering in it's repute...is simply a fucking thing of beauty. For decades,that WISH was a fucking Pipe Dream,but is a simplistic reality Today,with a simple phone call.

That ain't "bad" news..................(grin)

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
I agree and if it weren't for trying to eject these fatties it would have a 6x ff on it now. While I've toyed with the fixed windage idea, I haven't bit, yet. It's a fine line between scope height/cheek weld/trouble free ejection. The illumnattis in 1"horns on a rail left but a cunt hair between knob and spent shell. Illuminati is where it's at and I'll get it settled in ...eventually. It would hold zero but tracking was erratic. The leupold puked in usual leupold fashion. I knew it would just wanted to see how many licks it would take to the center of that tootsie roll pop.