data-csrf="1711689549,bf890e177dfd05d722988a4f12260eb0" draw length question | As Real As It Gets

draw length question

Painless

Administrator
I was measured today for a 29" draw length. My question is with a string loop and release do I need to get a little shorter draw length on the bow i.e 28.5" or not worry about it and go 29". I lock in with my thumb on my neck and my MQ1 is 29". It has been so long since I fucked with this stuff that I can't remember anything. Appreciate any help............Blake

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
The length of the loop and the type of release used will dictate how much your draw will be affected. If you're using the same as when you were measured you'll be good to go.

That said....

It's much easier to deal with a bow that's a little short than one that's too long. You can always use a longer loop to fine tune length.

Is the cam(s) adjustable on the new bow?

Charlie

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
As Handgunner said, if a little short thats ok but too long is bad. Gotta remember too if hunting from a tree-stand and shooting a downward angle your draw shortens a little when you bend at the waist.

Painless

Administrator
the shop I went to had a board on the wall with numbers that started about the middle of my chest and went left(facing the wall). To the right there was a block that I was touching with my right hand (arms stretched out and chest against the wall)......Blake

okbowman

Jun 4, 2008
BrianW said:
So you can't just mark an arrow?
I think the problem with that is there is some variation with regards to where the front end of the rest is from rest to rest, but don't quote me on that...grin.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Good advice. Always better a be a tad short than a tad long.
hangunnr said:
The length of the loop and the type of release used will dictate how much your draw will be affected. If you're using the same as when you were measured you'll be good to go.

That said....

It's much easier to deal with a bow that's a little short than one that's too long. You can always use a longer loop to fine tune length.

Is the cam(s) adjustable on the new bow?

Charlie

Witt

Dec 30, 2009
NE
Hold a tape measure on the wall with your left hand (left hand flat against the wall). Draw the tape with your right hand and imitate how you personally hold a bow and where your hand anchors. Stick your right index finger along the tape, take a look at where your 1st distal joint in your finger is. That should be a close measurement for what to expect when you throw in a loop and a release.

Witt

Dec 30, 2009
NE
If you shoot a short release, you can probably add a half inch or inch....