data-csrf="1711627685,cfe4e06a9c35beecd1eee7532ed42283" First AR build... | As Real As It Gets

First AR build...

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
...and it's actually fairly useless, as it's an AR15 pistol...

Palmetto State Armory 10.5" barrel, lower and upper parts kits. Sig Pistol Brace, Anderson Arms Upper, some 80% lower I drilled out using a Modulus Arms jig. ALG rail and a Noveske (something needed to be quality) flaming pig flash hider.

Need recommendations on a cheap but reliable optic.

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
Nice build, I have a similar Midwest rail on my 18" custom and really like it. The 15" ALG is a nice slick tube as well. As far as optic going to assume you mean for the pistolero. Have had good luck with bushnell trs 25 as a cheap option (don't worry I have my flame suit on) I hear good things about the primary arms red dots as a low buck option as well.

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
UTG also makes a 17" Mlok handguard: http://www.primaryarms.com/utg-pro-m-lok-ar-15-17-super-slim-free-float-handguard-mtu037ssm

I've both the UTG and 3rd gen MI rails and think both are pretty decent. I actually think I like the UTG barrel nut / mounting system more - it's super easy to put together and lining it up is absolutely no thing. The entire end of the handguard acts as an anti-rotation feature, so it's not going anywhere.

UTG stuff is mostly garbage, but their slim rails and their receiver extension tubes are excellent and pretty cheap.

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
Big Stick said:
I've a PA dot that has never missed a lick and has never been loved upon.

Cain't cuss it...............
Thanks for the recommendation, just put one in the shopping cart. Got any video of jughead tossing one into the woods?

:D

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
Armed Ferret said:
If you don't need actual rails all over it, and just want a tube/hg, the Nordic Components is pretty tough to beat for the entry fee (15.5" version goes for about an even hundred via joebob's).
Just need the one rail, and not all of that. Just the part at the noisy end.

Which is what I like about the one I linked to above. They come out later this week.

;)

I really like the rail to extend all the way to the muzzle threads if possible, which is why I want an 18" model.

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
Maryland, wishing it was TX
I noticed my PA micro shifting every time i reset the trigger. Then I took it off the rifle and realized the RDS didn't have a single screw still tight holding it to the mount. Figger that may be a contributing factor (grin).

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
BrianW said:
Corrosion is your friend with screws that loosen. If you can't wait a couple days, then maybe loctite.

:)
it's aluminum, so i figured loctite was the better option. got it fixed the day i got home from the range, just ain't been out since to double-check it all. probably be late february before i can get back out; headed to TX in a couple weeks for a sorta-improptu trip to San Antonio and Austin (if I don't go to Franklin BBQ any time I'm in the state, I'm fucking WRONG.) so maybe a week or two after that.

Takin my tattoo artist with me too....

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
While nobody asked me to provide more info, that's never stopped me before so why start now? (grin)

Got everything on the PA loctited and gave it a day to set up. Did a metric assload (technical term) of dry firing, all is well with zero shift. So it wasn't the dot that was fucked up, it was loose shit (typically the case).

Anywho.

Buyin a new ride today; veedub bumped my TDI turn-in from march 8 to this saturday. Heading out after watch to find something to fill the gap.

Nail

Feb 8, 2008
Mississippi
Bumping this one up instead of starting a new thread.

Never had black rifle fever but finally figured I’d rather have one on hand just in case.

Purchased a PSA complete lower (blemish) off of the daily specials list. That part is set.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-psa-ar15-complete-moe-ept-stealth-lower-fde.html
Need to hear about uppers and optics . . .all of it. Just want something handy for if the shit hits the fan with an emphasis on reliability & accuracy without having to sell a kidney.

Many thanks.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Lotsa rifles built with that upper. Not always horribly accurate and the rail can have a ring to it under recoil unless somethings mounted to it like mbuis ect. to dampen the vibration.
I tend toward the stainless barreled version, but chromoly works too.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I've got the stainless version and it is very accurate. Its also never failed to function, even when shooting suppressed and dirty.