data-csrf="1711616804,3d7c5ddd0f636e406bc01d135aee1f67" Golden Eagle? | As Real As It Gets

Golden Eagle?

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
My roommate just gave me his old bow and it's a golden eagle. He says it has 100lb limbs. All the parts are there, but one of the cams is shit. Any recommendations on what I should do with all this stuff? I'll maybe use it hunting, but I'd like to for whatever reason get it setup and see how I like the whole archery thing.

Ochoco

Nov 18, 2007
CO
Golden Eagle went out of business a long time ago.....

At one time they were quite the bow and I believe the owner, or one of them started Oregon Bows, which also turned out to be a nice one.
Both companies have went belly up and the odds of finding any cam parts that would get it up and going would be slim to none.

If I remember right, they were laminated maple limbs. My oldest brother had one and so did my father, but his was an older model. I believe my brother's was an 87 or 88 model. They went tits up not too long after that.

If you want to give archery a try, I'd suggest Martin as being the best bang for the buck. You can jump in with both feet and spend a lot more money, but resale value on bows is a loosing proposition. What will fetch $800.00 today, can be taken to the range a dozen times and 4 months later and loose almost half its value, to say nothing of the accessories and arrows.

Hop on Archery Talk.com and look in the used bow section. You can find some great deals on phenomenal bows, and if you don't like the sport after a while, you won't be out much.

A guy's really got to shoot a lot before he knows for sure what he wants out of a bow. Lot more to it than firearms for sure.

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
Well if they went out of business I probably won't do too much with it. I figured if I could get it up and running for not much I'd do it...but I have never had a strong desire to get into it much.

Thanks for the info!

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
mkoeh475, Ochoco's right. I do believe Bear Archery bought them and Jennings at the same time. I think they called themselves the North American Archery Group or some shit. At that time they still manufactured bows of the Golden Eagle design. Speaking of Golden Eagle, I had a Super Hawk Turbo years back and their flagship bow was the Pro Turbo. Pretty smooth for the time. Was a shame that ship sunk. Just as well as other companies like Pro-line.

Also, Mission Archery (a Co. by Mathews) and the new series of Hoyt bows are priced lower but have the same quality, I'm told.

Ochoco

Nov 18, 2007
CO
The Pro Turbo I believe was the one my brother had........

Twas nice for the day.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
Yep, at that time (almost 20 years ago) I worked in an archery shop. Fucking drooled over the Pro Turbo and the Hoyt Provantage on a daily basis. At the time, all the change in my pocket meant everything and had to settle for the lesser version.