data-csrf="1713499738,8d5e2b2a57075bde08dabccb147a8879" got the kid a bow today.... | As Real As It Gets

got the kid a bow today....

Lawdwaz

Nov 25, 2008
No arrows?

Good job, have a place to shoot that's safe and convenient?

One time I "pulled" one at my father's house, missed the bale by 6" and the arrow hit the chain link fence and fucking disappeared! Went somewhere in outer space, could still be in orbit and that was 30 years ago!

I learned a chain link fence is not an adequate back stop.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Thread Killer said:
he sucks right now but is getting better.
Probably preaching to the choir but....

Are the shafts of appropriate stiffness/spine for the bow draw wt?

Have you "paper tuned" to verify that the shafts are flying true at 6-feet? Swimming arrows will wander.

With the bow sling, is his grip relaxed at release?

If so, carry on....

not paper tuned, working on the technique as this is his very first bow and i don't know crap about them. the guy at bass pro took the arrows i picked up and laughed then went to get the proper stuff. the Beeman carbon's are for up to 40lb bows and his is set at 18lbs right now.

we're both learning, i'm shooting an old browning and i think the first of the year i'll buy a new bow to keep up with the kid. i'll see about paper tuning...

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Sounds like you're working it out with him. Think about buying a bow that you can use to both hunt and target shoot at local competitions. Would be something fun to do together....

For shits and grins, shoot a Mathews....

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
You better keep practicing Paul, he'll be outshooting you soon enough.

If he has a friend his own age that shoots, a little competition will get him there twice as fast.

firedog

Nov 21, 2007
SW Washington
Awesome, I wish someone would have gotten me into archery when I was young. This was only my 3rd season but better late than never, wasn't bad to learn at 40. Again good job getting the boy into it. My 6 year old loves shooting his bow.

When your looking for bows go shoot some and then go to archerytalk.com classifieds for some darn good deals at times.

toltecgriz

Nov 17, 2007
On the Santa Fe Trail
I got one of those "Genesis" bows because it "fits" all the boys and I only have to take one bow when we travel. I can even shoot it. What does Uncle Ted call it, "the mystical flight of the arrow" or some such. Anyway it's true because the kids love it, not to mention it teaches a lot of stuff.

Witt

Dec 30, 2009
NE
I hear good things about Diamond. I bet he's gained a bunch of strength and consistency in this short time.