Halibut Taxidermy

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Client had this done for me. Local guy does halibut tail mounts. Every halibut has unique markings on there tail. This halibut was 78”.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Not sure what happened to the original post.

Anyway, a client had this done up for me this year. A local guy does tail mounts for $250. Every halibut has unique markings on their tail, so a custom mount is pretty cool, IMO.

This halibut was 78" and this trip happened around Mid-June. Almost made the 80", which would have made it a "keeper", rather than a GAF fish. I can predict a little better in June where the big ones are, before the pinks show up. Then they go on the hunt. Story goes that I stuck in the middle of a giant reef. Never had fished there before, but I assumed nobody else had either. I had gotten a 90# and 120# about a mile towards the beach a few weeks earlier in an hour soak, so I wanted to push out a little further as the reef ran for a solid 15 miles.

First hour we released three or four in the 60-80lb range. Nothing the guys wanted to keep. Tide was just starting to slow to a crawl, which is usually when I get a few big bites. The big halibut often come in, and then do a few grab and drop strikes until the tide slows. We had a few big hits, no hook ups. The big ones just bite different. I had a feeling a big one was under us. Back rod doubled, and the fish ran HARD. I grabbed the rod and got it around the outboards as it was screaming line directly under the boat. Ammie took over. Front rod doubled. Bill took it on. I felt lucky that the back rod took off, as tangles suck with multiple big fish on. Middle rod then doubled. Butch's rod. They were all big. After feeling for any line rubbing, I was sure we had three on and all three were big fish. It's easy to get fooled with tangles. Bill got his up first. Solid 150# fish. Took 15 minutes. Ammie couldn't budge his, and I started to get that sinking feeling. Butch winched his up slowly. I could tell it was big. They had two GAF fish they could catch. Bill kept his at the surface while we waited to get a look at the other two. Butch got his up and it was BIG. Ended up being the 78" fish that you see the tail of. The two of use pulled that over the rail. Not easy! 240# on the scale bled and in the fish box for 5 hours. Fish #1 still didn't move. I felt it, and was pretty sure it had gotten in the rocks. We "fought" it for another 30 minutes, until the line finally broke from being wrapped in the rocks. Sucks, it was a really big halibut, as I had felt it. We sunk the harpoon into Bill's 150# halibut. Big by any standards, but still bittersweet considering the one that got off in the rocks. We already had our limit of kings for an early morning smash, so we eased into a chicken hole and grabbed some keeper halibut and lingcod before heading in.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise,Alaska
Have thought about doing it for Trout before. Just tough to get dimensions,when flying solo and trying to be nice to shit.

I'll never catch a bigger Hen................

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
He could do that. He did the tail of the 550lb halibut caught in Petersburg this year. It’s huge. Swing by his shop. It’ll be expensive.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Another one zooked. Anyway, he had the 550 halibut tail that was long lined by Petersburg. Huge. Steelhead replica would be awesome

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Rod Builder said:
You've really got me thinking about my trip with you next summer. I got plane tickets in hand and not so patiently counting the days off the calendar.
I like that time of the summer. We will take a few shots at big ones.

Here they are in the flesh.