data-csrf="1713561111,6a01127f2e102986c926e83c300f0d8c" Headlamps? | As Real As It Gets

Headlamps?

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
What are you guys using and recommending for hunting headlamps ?
I'm talking something to put in a pack that works good for
Walking out after dark and skinning
Long burn time a plus

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
I've used a jag of different stuff, searching for THE LAMP....

There ain't one.

Find one with good lumens, and a good run time. Bonus points for running off of regular batteries that won't have you selling a kidney so you can have a couple spares in the bag.

I've got several Petzl jobbies, and they are ok. Water resistant +P, and reasonable run time. A couple of different modes for brightness is handy. Softer light for walking out if it is real dark is a plus, as is REALLY FUCKING BRIGHT mode to see exactly WTF made that stick snap 20 yards off beside you.....(grin)

That said, I've had real good luck with the Browning (gag/cough) branded ones that run off of one AA battery, and have different color options.

Got a couple of the Fenix ones too, but the high dollar batteries are a turn off, as is the relatively short run time.

But if'n you find a good one, do say so... I'm always looking for a better mousetrap.

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
I have a cheapo chinesium model run by 18650s...holy cow, like a high beam headlight when you want it, and eternal battery life on low. It's a bit heavy. Same LEDs and drivers as the big names, but you might want to buy a big name (zebra et al) because I bought two and one fried itself. The other is going strong, and I'm betting it depends on which child slave did the soldering on any particular unit.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
I’m bad about losing them so I just pick up a couple of the $12 energizers at Walmart every year.

Plenty of light for walking or skinning and batteries seem to last forever in them.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I tend toward the Black diamond brand, though I have several petzle as well.
I like the units with 3 aaa’s in the front, but some folks like the battery pack on the back. Can’t say I’ve ever had an issue with either brand.

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Browning Night Seeker 2, cap light. $12.99 or so. I started out using them when setting up camp on my motorcycle trips. Now I have a bunch of them and always have a couple in my pack. The hinge is a great feature and the batteries last a long time(10hrs) & even longer if you use the green light(48 hrs) when working up close.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I have several of the Princeton Tec Fuel headlamps. Cabelas regularly has them on sale for $12, so several have followed me home over the years. They are light, use AAA batteries, and put out enough light (70 lumens) to do what I need it to do.

They are cheap enough that I have them stashed everywhere...every vehicle, every pack, in the boat, on the 4-wheeler, snowmachine, and I even have a few hanging hanging around the house in a number of places. That being said, headlamps are like tape measures. I have 100 of the damn things, but when I NEED one, I still have a hard time putting my hands on one without searching and digging. :grin:

Nail

Feb 8, 2008
Mississippi
Streamlight Trident from J.Harlen is what we have at work, no complaints...I use it with a hard hat though.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015NMH16U/ref=pe_1171840_170737540_em_2p_1_im

$60 with a rechargable 18650 and charger. Has been trouble free for over 2.5 years. 1000 lumens on high, which is a lot. Does not have a focused beam, so probably not perfect as a snowmachine headlight backup, but has decent range. Low is crazy low, I run it on "2" almost all the time. I never pack a spare battery, I pack a spare headlamp in case I lose that one if not backpacking.

I see they have a brighter one... so thats on the christmas list.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I'm like Lineman, Energizer and Bushnell, $12 specials work well enough...I've got them spread all over the farm, the house and the Highlander...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Today's $12...is yesteryears $200.

Today's GOOD shit,ain't gonna piss a guy off. There's lots to be said,for reliably being able to see................

standeford

Feb 3, 2009
Tennessee
I have that Nitecore and it is all right, but I like the Olight one better.

https://olightworld.com/led-flashlights/headlamps/olight-h1r-nova

Their bigger H2R is good if you need a lot of light, but I generally don't from my forehead. Have used both enough to consider them durable/reliable.

SnowshoeWalker

Oct 1, 2018
Alaska
I've had great luck with the Zebralight and Olights running the 18650 batteries. Water and cold weather don't seem to bother either of them.

If you want to light up the world and start fires from your head, this is the one.

https://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/Lupine_Betty_RX_14.asp

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
cwh said:
I like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015NMH16U/ref=pe_1171840_170737540_em_2p_1_im

$60 with a rechargable 18650 and charger. Has been trouble free for over 2.5 years. 1000 lumens on high, which is a lot. Does not have a focused beam, so probably not perfect as a snowmachine headlight backup, but has decent range. Low is crazy low, I run it on "2" almost all the time. I never pack a spare battery, I pack a spare headlamp in case I lose that one if not backpacking.

Just got one in the mail
Little suckers are BRIGHT

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
Maryland, wishing it was TX
I have a couple different LED-based issued ones. Both burn forever. Only real personal experience is with the red lens over them so can't really comment on brightness, but I suspect the 5-LED one will work fairly well for a good long time on a pair of triple A's.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
raghornjp said:
cwh said:
I like this one:

Just got one in the mail
Little suckers are BRIGHT
Hope you have as good of luck as I've had.

Shooter71

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Not headlamps but I have a bunch of four sevens lights. They sold out to another guy but you can still get some models. I’ve seen or had a handful of black diamond lamps fail.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
If they fair well...the boys at work will stock right the fuck up.

I'll be curious about COLD weather run times..................

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I ran it down to -30, but not for long enough to test run time.

Shooter, I haven't seen much difference between the petzel, black diamond and coast as far as reliability. Never run the energizer ones. That said, I preferred my last black diamond to all the petzels, and it was a freebie from work. That thing grew legs though.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
The nightcore wouldn't turn on the last night, and it turned out the body (battery tube) had come slightly unscrewed from the bulb end when I pulled the battery out to charge. Didn't even know they were two pieces...

Also, I found my Black Diamond headlamp in some of the wife's crap. I knew she stole it!

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I like my 'core and REALLY like the rechargeable double sized battery. Bought halfa dozen extry's,just to be safe.

Been -40 ambient here and woulda been a fair test,but I left the light at home...............

geedubya

Jul 26, 2010
Pearland, Texas in the USof A
When hunting I'm most time walking in up to about 1/2 mile an hour before daylight. Usually in the evening I start in about 30 minutes afte dark. If I'm recovering an animal after dark, sometimes I'll be out an extra hour or so.

In my old age I need more light when tinkering with leather or guns and small items in the eve or in areas that are not well illuminated.

I've been using the Steelman Pro 78834 rechargable headlight.

I keep a small charger in my backpack for when I need to recharge it in field. I can plug it into my cigarette lighter in the auto.

I'm on my second unit.

Considereing the utility, I find it to be an excellent value.

ya!

GWB

https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-78834-Rechargeable-250-Lumen-Activated/product-reviews/B01CK427ZY

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
For a potentially disposable headlamp that may get lost, these work quite well:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-100-Lumen-LED-Headlamp-with-Batteries/55505078

SnowshoeWalker

Oct 1, 2018
Alaska
Most every LED headlamp I've used that runs 18650 batteries has performed great. Even the cheap China junkers have performed admirably. I like the durability and water proof features on olight and Zebra.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
The nitecore finally died on me, and I ordered another of the exact same model. B&H has them for $45 without batteries, which is a steal.

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
Regarding headlamps-
My little olight flashlight has been a constant pocket companion over the last several years.

It can run 1000 lumens when needed but runs forever on low.

It finds it's way to my ball cap bill at least a couple times a week. Their pocket clip is is doubled up to work both ways.

I wouldn't be without one.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I carry their littlest single AAA light, because I carry way too much stuff generally. On my second one. I hate the two way pocket clip, but I love the light.

Reactions: CaptArab

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
Huh, you don't like it?

I end up clipping it to all kinds of crap out wrenching on stuff in the dark.

I dig it, but to each his own I guess 🤷‍♂️

I might need the triple a version.