data-csrf="1711620647,e95fb794b66ec2237bb97e225288a233" Hikin'/huntin' holster? | As Real As It Gets

Hikin'/huntin' holster?

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
I like to run on my right hip. I like leather with secure snap. If you like kydex a serpa is pretty utilitarian. I've broken their paddles and belt clips but the police officer belt loop is indestructible.

For leather I like some thing like this.

Bianchi

Here is the base serpa.

serpa

JCM

Jan 8, 2013
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Dale Frickie Gideon Elite and am liking it so far, but I'm only a couple of weeks in on it. I've stuck to leather for most uses, but this is kydex done right. Could be lot of ways to strap it to a pack if desired.

clark98ut

Jun 3, 2008
Liberty Hill, TX
My problem is I have a bad case of noassatall which means I'm constantly picking my pants up with a belt holster. It doesn't bother me too much when I'm just hanging out, but getting out and getting sweaty and hiking is a real PITA unless I'm wearing pants with suspenders.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
A buddy of mine uses a cordura rig that goes around the shoulders and puts the pistol right on your belly. I can't remember the name of them, and I can't imagine fucking around with one.

He mostly uses it because of a trip in the brooks where I went after a bear that gave me the slip. I finally popped out on a knob to see him, armed with a sharp stick and a bow with the grizzly at 60 yards. He likes to have something with him that burns powder now.

I almost always have a pack on, and as such, holsters don't do much for me. You might look at the HPG kit bag.... could see that coming in handy to keep a pistol within reach.

clark98ut

Jun 3, 2008
Liberty Hill, TX
This it?

http://soldiersystems.net/tag/firstspear/page/4/

I ended up ordering one. We'll see how I like it, but for my purpose, I think it'll be fine.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
This is the one he uses.
http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/

I'm thinking this is the way I'd go, but have never run one.
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/6/Default.aspx

I'm going to order one just to see WTF. If I can get the 329 in it, could come in handy for just fucking around without a rifle.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
That's what the pack is for...

Last spring, I was doing a little "training" hike up flattop, just fucking around really. The last section was still snowed in, and not many people had slushed their way through it. Got to the top, and it was raining a little bit, and its twilight like we get a lot of that time of the year. About a minute goes by and a guy walks up in jeans and a sweatshirt and sneakers, jeans soaked up above the knee. He says "You got any beer? I could really go for a beer right now".

What can you do but laugh? Of course I have beer... so I popped the pack off and we had a silver bullet or two while I got his life story. He was a couple cans short of a case, but seemed to be a nice enough guy.

Canazes9

Jan 25, 2013
Louisiana
I've got the El Paso Saddlery tanker rig for my my full size XDm. It works really well as a hunting/hikin holster. The components in the El Paso Saddlery rig are a step up from other tanker holsters I've seen, worth the wait. I also have a #2 thumb break for both my S&W Model 60 and my S&W Shield:

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-69-26-2-thumbreak-2-to-5-12-barrels.aspx

These work really well with these lighter compact pistols, never tried it with a full size.

David

Mannlicher

Feb 7, 2014
North and South Florida
I often carry a Ruger SA revolver in .45 Colt when bumming around in the woods. I had this chest carry holster made years ago. I keeps the revolver up, and out of the water if I am swamp wading, and the flap protects the revolver from branches and bumps.

clark98ut

Jun 3, 2008
Liberty Hill, TX
I ended up picking up that First Spear holster and love it. It fits almost all my pistols, and I can even carry my M&P 22 with the suppressor attached.