data-csrf="1711722667,0a2d2d11d5f775e572d12eff1fb68c14" If'n a guy was going get back into bowhunting... | As Real As It Gets

If'n a guy was going get back into bowhunting...

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Been a few years since I've bought a bow, and I'm looking to get back into it for spring bears. I've got some time to look at this point.

Any suggestions? Be the occasional blackie, and maybe a whitetail around the yard. And probably see some moose hunting as well during the rut rifle closure. (The last bear I arrowed, was with an Easton aluminum and a muzzy from a Browning Mantis, if that says anything....)

I'm right handed, average draw length, so likely 29-ish....

Anything I should be looking at? Not looking to break the bank on it, and used doesn't spook me either.

Bare bow through the accessories that a guy needs would be appreciated.

Painless

Administrator
Hoyt, Matthews, Bowtech, Elite are all great bows and will serve you well for years. I would be all over archery talks forums as deals are there to be had for last years model's. I am liking my HHA 1 pin set up, I shoot gold tip arrows (pro hunters or something like that, they are expensive but I like them because they are tough). Nocturnals lighted nocks for hunting. I shoot a whipper Snapper 4 finger thumb release made by Spot hogg, and it is hard to beat the QAD drop away rests.

What ever you do make sure the bow fits you, if you buy something used make sure you can get the correct modules for your draw length.....Blake

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
MUCH appreciated Blake.

How does the 1 pin stuff work? I used to use multi-cross hair out to about 65 yards, so a single pin is a foreign concept to me.

Painless

Administrator
You sight in at 20 yards and then at 60 then there are "drop charts" with all the yard ages in between. There is a knob that you loosen and slide to your desired range. When hunting I usally have it set on 25 yards and use Kentucky windage. I just like a sight that isn't all cluster fucked.....

TXNative

Jan 27, 2013
I switched to an HH1 single pin last year, I really prefer this over all multi-pin sights. I bought it used so I put a fresh piece of tape on it, shot and marked my own 20-60 marks.

Plenty of good deals on 2012 or 2013 models.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I run Hoyt, Spot hogg, ripcord, Easton axis, slick trick, Winners choice. All bullet proof type stuff. You pay in weight, but it survives all the rain and dragging through the brush.

Lots of good stuff out there though.

The stuff these days is crazy smooth and easy shooting compared to 10 years ago.

I'd say hit a shop and fondle some stuff till you fall in love. Then hand over the wallet.

Archery Talk classifieds is a good place to shop if you know what you want and how much you want to pay for it.

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
I'm in the same boat as Kodiak, but its been even longer. #85 Mathews Solocam with aluminum arrows was the last rig I had. I reckon you'd call that a "musket" these days. I figure something about 4-5 years old would light years ahead of where I was. Seems now shit advances quickly and depreciates even quicker.

Anyhoo, wouldn't be a bad way to add another month of hunting.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
eBay and other sources for a lightly used stick and string can leave extry funds for some the the nice fixtures mentioned above. Love my old Matthews Legacy....

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
Strolled through Archery Talk. Geez, I thought rifle guys liked to skullfuck the shit out gear....

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I'm a cheap bastard, but I agree that a good shop is worthwhile. If you have a shop that will work with you, I'd consider buying off AT or ebay and then bringing it to them to fit it out.

I bought a bow from a buddy when he upgraded. It about a 14 year technology leap, and pretty much blew my mind. Oddly enough, the archery guy at sporty's in Anchorage is awesome and set me up nicely. Gave me some tips on form after having me shoot it in the shop while setting up the draw length. It was well worth the money to buy arrows, a sight, etc from there. I got it set up exactly the way I wanted it, and he charged me for parts only.

Killed 2 moose with that bow - its been a good "investment".

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Good points Chris. Prolly the way to roll on that sort of thing.

Local gun shop has an archery side to it as well, and these guys are pure gold when it comes to pricing and service.

minengr

Dec 7, 2010
Harrisburg, IL
FWIW, I got into bow hunting last year. Bought a used Mathews Drenlin from a shop. At the end of last year decided instead of buying a new bow I figured I'd upgrade everything. Had it restrung, replaced the sights and rest. Being a cheap bastard did a lot of searching on the net for the best prices. Surprisingly Ebay was the cheapest if you look hard enough. I did have to scroll through a lot of sellers.

Now I just need some deer to come within range.

Chris

Nov 20, 2007
Between the Mtns and the Plateau
I have been tossing around the idea of selling my Mathews Switchback XT. Its a 28 inch draw 60-70 lb, Ripcord rest, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, Mathews 5 arrow quiver and around 3 dozen arrows. If its something that you think would fit what you're looking for let me know and we can talk. I also had it restrung earlier this year with a ProLine string. This is how its setup now and how I'd sell it. Its been been taken very well care and you'd be hard pressed to not pass it off as new.

Chris