data-csrf="1711672587,c8411373f8d9c87a4d4b4f32bfd24a40" Judging glass | As Real As It Gets

Judging glass

remsen

Dec 9, 2007
Danville, CA
I bought a new pair of binoculars to replace what I thought was lesser glass (which I still have). The new glass arrived yesterday so I sat outside around sundown and starting glassing the surrounding hills.

I live in an area where there are hills about 800 yards from my backyard and then another group of hills about 1 mile away. Both sets of hills are cattle grazing land, just some scrub (no trees) and the random cow or deer wandering around.

A deer did pop up on the hill a mile away about 20 minutes after sundown and I was able to make it out with both sets of glass, though the new set was a touch clearer...I could see more detail on the shape of the animal, but neither set of glass gave much more than enough detail to recognize it as a deer shaped animal. At the 800 yard hill, I could make out individual rock piles and some weeds sprouting above them, but no animals showed up.

So...without naming the type of glass, am I judging the glass side by side in the wrong way? I really couldn't tell much of a difference between the two sets of glass other than at about 10-20 minutes after sundown when the new glass was a bit sharper in picking up that deer and some fenceposts at 1 mile. Otherwise, it was pretty much a draw.

I was thinking, though, that maybe I was stretching the glass too far and the real difference in glass shows up at ranges less than 800 yards.

So before I return the new glass and start shopping again, any advice would be appreciated.

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
I just did the same thing with 2 pairs of 10x. I mounted both on a tripod looked at the same "scene" back and forth, looking for differences. Tried to pick up the smallest detail in one, then look at the same detail in the other. Noticed differences in sharpness, especially around the edges. Looking at the exact same spot enough times the differences become more apparent. Did the same thing at longer and shorter distances. Never bothered with twilight since it was clear I had a winner.

Tripod is the key...

remsen

Dec 9, 2007
Danville, CA
I hear ya, Stick. I was just glassing a hillside 1800 yards away watching a mulie doe taking a shit and could see her ears and tail flicking, and there I am trying to figure out whether the glass is good enough.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've set alotta folks' binos on stumps and shot 'em...so as to cut to the fucking chase.

Fact is,that'd be a Patented move..............(grin)

badhornet

Mar 8, 2014
I'd recommend peeing on them…it helps the schitty glass out a lot…

that might be my patented move………(grin)

stick was a witness ;)

p.s. It helps you spot a 5 point…a 6 pointer in downsouthland...

RDF51

Jun 4, 2008
Big Stick said:
If you gotta practice making shit better...it ain't..............(grin)
If there is a difference I shouldn't need to go to night school to see it. Lots of "trick moves" in bino sales too.