data-csrf="1713628072,0f3e9bb041e9f1e042e082a99e65c8de" Kimber Montana? | As Real As It Gets

Kimber Montana?

22 skadoo

Dec 9, 2007
NJ
Im thinking of one in 223,besides the vmax 50 gr what would be the best bullets with out no gunsmithing work on the rifle.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Try 75A-Max and back up in length,from there...if it won't stabilize same.

The 75gr Hornie HPBT being a given.............

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I'm not sure you'd be in the same zip code as the throat [on mine, a sample of one] even if you were willing to seat a 75 deep enough to feed through the stock mag box and eject an unfired round. Mine wouldn't shoot the 75 A-Max for shit, and is unremarkable with HPBTs. 50-V's were easy, easy, easy.

The only disappointment on OEM Montanas is the throat/COAL/twist arrangement. Only the 6.5 kills that.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
DZNNF7 said:
The only disappointment on OEM Montanas is the throat/COAL/twist arrangement. Only the 6.5 kills that.
The WSMs were done right as well.

At least the .300 and 7 were.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Easy to shoot a Smooch,make a stabilization confirmation and then mod a box for that COAL.

No thang..............

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
The 84Ms are the pick of the litter for me after having at least one of all 3. The 7wsm was the most accurate and least picky of em all that I've had, I just have no need for a mag.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, the .223 Montana makes too much sense, and I could see me grabbing it more than anything else.

22 skadoo

Dec 9, 2007
NJ
If only they would make the 84M in 223AI with 18" 8 twist barrel and able to handle 75A-max.I guess that makes to much sence

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
22 skadoo said:
If only they would make the 84M in 223AI with 18" 8 twist barrel and able to handle 75A-max.I guess that makes to much sence
I agree 100%

Where I'm at right now, is I could buy a Montana and rebarrel it as such and still be ahead on what it'd cost to build from scratch.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Same here - the WSM is awesome, but it'd sit while I shot the 84M's. I bought the first .260 I could get 10 years ago, and it's piled up deer ever since. Muzzleloader and Montana is all I hunt with now. The Creedmoor is calling my name, and I don't need one - but I doubt I'll make it another month without clicking a "buy it now".....

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Soon as the wallet gets a little more padding Ill be looking for a .223. Would love a Creed but the .223 will come first.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A Montucky 223 and another in Creed'...would cover ALOTTA scenarios,very capably.

6x MQ and 40MOA 'Horn's.............

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
You never know, they've shuffled chamberings before. They sell every Montana they can build, so I'd bet it's a year out or more.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I don't talk with them,so have no feel as to what may be on the horizon.

A 6mm twisted/throated right and wearing requisite COAL,certainly would not be a hard sell. Nor would one in .224".

Hell...maybe even one day,Manufacturers will figure this shit out?!?..............

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Maybe Barrett will retain the long mag box of the NULA when they release their version. The could still fuck up twist and throating, but the move to all SS gives me hope. It'd be worth a few hundred bucks more to have a .243 that was RIGHT.

Reactions: ECG1

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Last I heard the 3" magbox was certainly the basis,for Ronnie's latest venture.

They'll not botch twist rate as per early indications and throating will be a breeze..................

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Big Stick said:
A 6mm twisted/throated right and wearing requisite COAL,certainly would not be a hard sell. Nor would one in .224".

Hell...maybe even one day,Manufacturers will figure this shit out?!?..............
As mentioned previously, I talked with a Kimber upper management guy some years back about their lazy .243 twist. Seems that they follow the SAAMI standard 10-twist to keep their product liability lawyers happy. He was at a loss as to why Big Green could go 9.125 in their .243.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Think about the twist range found on the open market for .223 and that SAAMI/lawyer excuse gets even stupider. He was at a loss because he should be running a Pez dispenser factory, not a rifle manufacturing concern.
It's surprising Kimber designers have done as well as they have.

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
Pez dispenser factory - HA!

Things could get good with this new chick running things at Kimber. You never know.

Hell, maybe one day we'll get a fast twist .223 Weatherby Improved.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
DZNNF7 said:
Think about the twist range found on the open market for .223 and that SAAMI/lawyer excuse gets even stupider. He was at a loss because he should be running a Pez dispenser factory, not a rifle manufacturing concern.
It's surprising Kimber designers have done as well as they have.
Ha! We didn't discuss .223/5.56 at the time but there are published .mil specs that they likely hang their product liability lawyer's hat on for their 9-twist vs the SAAMI 12-twist. Too bad they couldn't read a bit further down the page to go 7-twist.

JCM

Jan 8, 2013
DZNNF7 said:
Maybe Barrett will retain the long mag box of the NULA when they release their version. The could still fuck up twist and throating, but the move to all SS gives me hope. It'd be worth a few hundred bucks more to have a .243 that was RIGHT.
Big Stick said:
Last I heard the 3" magbox was certainly the basis,for Ronnie's latest venture.

They'll not botch twist rate as per early indications and throating will be a breeze..................
I'm hopeful on these. Are sounding like they're going to be right, straight from the box.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A 3" box spun right right and throated right,would do alotta favors.

Love would happen by default..............

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
I just can't see how a SS700, with a MRish barrel contour and Ti-ish stock, throated and twisted right wouldn't fly off shelves.

Hang a $999 price tag on em and watch the orders pile up....am I wrong here?

I still ain't able to wrap my head around how liability would be at stake, but I guess it is.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Lineman said:
I just can't see how a SS700, with a MRish barrel contour and Ti-ish stock, throated and twisted right wouldn't fly off shelves.

Hang a $999 price tag on em and watch the orders pile up....am I wrong here?
You are not wrong... Maybe not at $1K, but they'd certainly sell with plenty of room to cover expenses and a nice profit.

Lineman said:
I still ain't able to wrap my head around how liability would be at stake, but I guess it is.
I am not a lawyer, and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn for years, but I just don't see it. Granted, I'd get tired of getting sued if I were Remington. But I don't see how Remington is "more liable" than Tikka or Ruger for selling a 1-8 twist .224 barrel. More risk averse maybe, but that is the only claim you could make. Risk aversion can be a risk in itself at times, in that it puts you at risk or running yourself out of business.

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
You'd think I'd they made it through triggers, they could make it through twist. My "guess" is that "Mr. Kimber, did you knowingly manufacture a rifle outside of industry specifications"

Who knows, it's all bullshit anyway.

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
The 243 version of that Barrett looks just about perfect. Hold the Montana in 6mm Creed!

Interesting the 25-06 is twisted 1-9.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Reserve RPM is plum handy,as is reserve COAL latitude.

Ronnie is connectin' alotta dots,right out of the fucking gate.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Really ain't much to it,as all you gotta think about is bullets/bullets/bullets and roughly in that order..................