data-csrf="1713996963,942e439ac11ae86fe98e8c5371d77c7d" Mystery Ranch | As Real As It Gets

Mystery Ranch

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
They quietly shifted production offshore a few years back and changed their business model. You can buy their shit pretty much anywhere now at gun stores, but the price is the same as when it was made in Bozeman....

Companies like Kifaru/SG/Exo still make their stuff on domestic soil and you can talk to someone who can yell at the person who built your bag in English if you have an issue...

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
They quietly shifted production offshore a few years back and changed their business model. You can buy their shit pretty much anywhere now at gun stores, but the price is the same as when it was made in Bozeman....

Companies like Kifaru/SG/Exo still make their stuff on domestic soil and you can talk to someone who can yell at the person who built your bag in English if you have an issue...
That's a shame for MR.

đź‘Ť for the others you mentioned.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
True. However, other companies out there make as good of a product that is lighter and carries weight better... pack technology seems to change fast with improvements in materials and companies that don’t keep up or make changes fall behind. Happens in every industry.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
I'm not saying that their products are below their previous standards. I just like products that were made in the U.S. to continue to be made here.

I'd much rather knowingly buy things that are made in North America than sourcing things from overseas. I think you know what I mean.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I’ve never known Mystery ranch to make a pack light enough to be considered. If they ever got there, it was too late for me to notice.

starsky

Jul 17, 2012
Colorado
Kifaru makes me feel warm and fuzzy. ALL components, stitching, customer service, etc etc etc are made in the USA. Frank and Aron are no BS killers, too.

Reactions: firedog

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
I know Starsky and Tanner are big Kifaru guys, but I gotta say, that Stone Glacier stuff is no bullshit either.

I will say that I contemplated sending a nasty email to SG last fall after packing out a bull moose piece by piece in my 7400, and it did NOT feel like carrying a pack full of feathers at ALL, but I suppose the fact that a buddy and I were able to carry an entire bull moose in pieces in their wares in 3 trips did partially offset that downside....(grin)

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
LOL. Yeah, I can't complain about my SG stuff.

I've tried to get interested in the Kifaru stuff, but honestly their lineup is too much for me to comprehend. To add to that, the company has sort of a frat boy circle jerk persona that is a real deal killer for me. No offense to frat boys.

starsky

Jul 17, 2012
Colorado
SG makes great gear too, used one or two of their packs for a while before I switched to Kifaru. Their gear works for me and I like supporting the locally guys.

Some of their “fans” (customers) are definitely pretty groupie-esque.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Yeah, I see that on Rokslide alright.... Definitely some fans there. Like Chris said though, that lineup is fairly comprehensive.

starsky

Jul 17, 2012
Colorado
Can definitely get a little confusing. I just pick whatever their burliest frame is, small, medium, or big bag, add a guide lid, a gunbearer and an extra pocket or two and call it good usually.

All comes down to what fits a guy best and you can’t really go wrong when SG and Kifaru are your options.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Probably not fair to judge a company based on its customers. :) I'll likely have a K tent (sawtooth) eventually.

Luckily, being the golden age of gear there are lots of good options.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Not to sidetrack your tent purchase, but you owe it to yourself to eyefuck the Cimarron at Seek Outside. Add a stove and enjoy your old age....(grin)

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
SO hippies piss me off too. I'm starting to sound like an angry old man - get off my damn lawn!

Nothing getting purchased in the short term though. Got other projects taking priority for a while.