data-csrf="1713881571,e5a27f901c68a70ec17ede9e6879bfa7" New AGM Batteries versus Advance Auto 3 Yr Wonders | As Real As It Gets

New AGM Batteries versus Advance Auto 3 Yr Wonders

Matt in Va

Sep 11, 2013
Gentlemen,
Getting ready to replace batteries on my 2003 Ford Excursion 4x4 Diesel(56,000ish) and my 2005 F-350 Super Duty, Diesel, 4x4... I'm averaging less than three years on traditional batteries(type 65). Everything from Ford HD Premium to Advance Auto 3 year specials. Problem is both trucks, especially the Excursion, sit too much. Have been told the Diehard Titanium AGMs are the way to go, however, they are $220 plus tax a piece, and I need 4, and they offer only another year worth of warranty. For what that is worth... Has technology moved on or am I chasing diminishing returns? Thoughts?

I figure those of you who live in more intemperate climes than coastal Virginia might have learned something on the subject...

Regards, Matt.

Btw, The Diehard Platinum AGMs are made by Odyssey at http://www.odysseybattery.com/batteries.html . The same battery runs roughly $280 from internet sources...

noodlz

Dec 6, 2011
Only advantage to the AGM's is they take vibration better. Go with the lead acid batteries and buy C-tek or similiar charger to keep them topped off when they sit.

406 SBC

Jun 5, 2010
As advised, batteries with long sit times between uses need a charger to keep them in shape. For your use I'd go back with the battery of your choice and add the charger you'll be dollars ahead and have better service.