data-csrf="1714049165,ab5dfa9de56c88bf6c0b59d6783d65a4" new bow question | As Real As It Gets

new bow question

caver101

Dec 10, 2007
NW GA
Was tossing the idea around of bow hunting this year....Its only been 15 years since I quit bow hunting.

I still have my old Pro Line "the new wave". Good bow, but only 60% let off shooting 80lbs. With all the new tech out and 80% let off I am thinking of buying a new bow for this year.

I looked at the PSE Bow Madness XS last night for $499. I LOVE the short axle to axle length. How do these short axle bows shoot? Years ago PSE was just "ok". What is their reputation like now?

What short ATA bows should I be looking at?

Chris

Nov 20, 2007
Between the Mtns and the Plateau
Since Pete Shipley got back in the picture with PSE, their bows are pretty damn nice. I like a short bow but they typically come with a small brace height. Getting slapped on the forearm with any PSE is gonna be a religion changing experience.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
As Chris said the short brace height will bite you if you lax on your form a bit.

I had an X-force which I just sold to buy a Hoyt. It was a bow grip thing not a brace height issue. The Hoyt fit me mo better.

The X shot a 373gr. arrow 312fps with a 60# draw weight. The draw curve on the X isn't too bad and the valley is shallow. Let up a CH and she'll wanna help you undraw the bow. Hand shock wasn't there and overall the bow was nice. The price tag was steep ($850). But all the top end bows will help your bank account get smaller.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
I forgot, I shot the Mathews Reezen 7.0. Hell of a nice bow, speed, brace height (7"), and the draw curve isn't that of the PSE's. Again the grip fucked me on that one too. At 32" ATA isn't shabby either.

I've been hearing the PSE is going to be coming out with a real arrow burner soon. The Omen is running 366fps. and this will top it. Haven't heard of a name yet or when it'll hit the market.

Take a look at ROSS, DARTON, HOYT, MARTIN, HIGH COUNTRY, and BEAR. Right now BOWTECH is having alot of QC issues. I went through two sets of limbs on the one that I had.

One thing to remember is let the bow pick you. If it doesn't feel right, it's not.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Yes, meaning replacement of limbs twice. I sent it on it's way when I was on the third set.

One of the reasons why I went back to Hoyt. They test limbs to 1000 dry-fires before they put said limbs into production. Can't beat that for putting limbs through the ringer. Although they could send a bow to "Stick" and let him test it......laffin...

caver101

Dec 10, 2007
NW GA
I tried the Bow-tech Admiral and Captain over the weekend. I must say I was very very impressed with the smoothness of those two bows.

That throws a wrench into the mix as I was only wanting to spend $500 on a naked bow....The Admiral is $749 and the Captain is $799.

Gonna keep shooting some different bows and see what bites me. Thanks for the input.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Yes, the Bow-tec's are very smooth. I can't see why any of the fuckers cost what they do.

As Blake said, there are allot of bows for sale especially on Archery Talk. Some guys buy new every year just to have new shit. If my buddy wasn't interested in my PSE, I'd of put it on here. $600 took the bow ($850 new), Quad lock-down rest ($100), Simms stabilizer ($25) and 10 CX-Maxima arrows ($120). So about a $500 savings and only about 200 arrows shot from it.

Bows are a loosing investment.

ShootOne

Dec 5, 2007
Florida
as others have said, pick up a used one on archery talk, i would bet you can find a loaded adrimal or captain there for around or under 800, probably 550 or so for a bare bow.

i bought an elite last year and i am real happy with it, the z28 is a great little bow, i wouldnt hesistate to pick up one of those

caver101

Dec 10, 2007
NW GA
Guess I am gonna hold what I got for this year. Bought a little 14' duck boat last night. Got to put some money in it to make it what I need it to be, that will eat up my new bow money. Hope to blast some Canadians (and some geese...grin) the 5th of next month.

firedog

Nov 21, 2007
SW Washington
I have a Bowtech Guardian and love it. Nice and smooth and comfortable to shoot. If anyone is looking for bows the Classifieds at archerytalk.com has some great deals quite often.

MallardAddict

Jun 4, 2008
Washington State
I have both an Bow tech Admiral and Commander and have never had an issue with either. all of the big names are putting out quality producst at way too much money but guys keep buying em. you can find a 1-2 year old bow for around half MSRP on the used market

G

I bought a pink bowtech off of firedog, and besides the color, the thing is great. (I'll be painting is though.... not quite my style)

lives2hunt

Jul 29, 2008
Wild Wonderful West Virginia
I bought a new Hoyt last year. It was a 2007 model bow that had sat on the shelf for a year. The owner was looking to move the previous years stuff before the new ones came in. It had a $699 price tag and I got it for $350. I added a Whisker Biscuit, Tru Glo sights, quiver, a dozen Easton carbon arrows, and was still under the original sticker price for the bare bow.