data-csrf="1711711113,d73f737db4d5de571a411858847baa69" New bow? | As Real As It Gets

New bow?

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I've kicked around the idea of a new bow but I haven't shot anything that feels as good as my 6yr old Archery Research bows do. I've got 2 set up the exact same way and just can't bring myself to change.

hangunnr

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
I can understand that.

Wasn't hard to pawn off the PSE due to it being new/new to me just last year (season).

It's a shame that Mathews doesn't make a riser to fit my mitts. My fucking thumb hits the riser opposite of the shelf. Hoyt seems to be the only one that works.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
The boys in my area really like the Limbsaver Speedzone and Deadzone bows. I've got a 70# Deadzone and really like it.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
It shoulda been in today but it seems Hoyt is backed up a little. Next week is what I'm told.

I'm hearing from Archery Talk that a 5/gr per pound setup will yield 330 fps with a 31" draw.
So with a 80 lb draw and an arrow weighing around 475gr, I should have plenty of Ke.

Why 80lb? Well I never had a problem drawing any bow but the Hoyt's cams make it easy.

I can kick myself in the ass for selling the Hoyt I had a few years ago.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
If you can break 80lbs over, why not? I'm a fan of heavy poundage bows to, so I get it.

330fps is quick. Be interesting to see if that is what you actually get.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
What was funny was when I told the fellow to order me up the 80#'er the two guys in the shop looked at me as if I was from fucking Mars.....laffin. I've seen allot of guys struggle with 65# and it didn't matter of their size. I shoulda asked if the bow he bought was for his wife..."grin" I woulda got a good laugh.....

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
KodiakHntr said:
330fps is quick. Be interesting to see if that is what you actually get.
Yeah, I still don't believe it. But they say with the 31" module/wheel bumps it up some. The owner of the pro shop told me that it'll do more than what it's spec'd at.

The V-tec I had did 305fps as it was rated (5grs/lb) with a 30.5-31" draw at 78#. That's with all the shit on the string and setup. So it wouldn't surprise me if it does surpass the rated 316fps.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I made the mistake of shooting my buddy's Black Ice, after resurrecting my 1992ish PSE. Kind of pissed me off, and now the rifle fund takes a little hit.

Told the wife I was planning on buying a new bow. She got all worked up, and started down this rant of "Why do you need another boat?"

"I said 'Bow'"

"Oh, go to town then..."

"It could be $1200."

"Whatever - go for it."

Told her I'm starting every conversation with "I'm going to buy another boat..." from now on.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Welp, got the Alpha Max 35 home and I'm pretty happy with it.

Right now I'm shooting a 468gr Easton FMJ moving 297fps. which it giving me almost 92ft. lbs. of Ke. This thing should be able to hammer anything that eats and shits on this rock we live on.

I still can't get over the draw curve even at 79#. Feels like a 70#. Anyways, I'm not sure if this arrow will handle a fixed broadhead. I'm on the bubble as far a spine goes. If it can't handle it I'll change arrows and drop down to a stiffer arrow, but a lighter one. Which I'll lose Ke and pick up some speed.

TWR

Feb 27, 2009
Oklahoma
Good luck.

I've been following this thread thinking of a new bow, looked at a few and shot a Matthews Reezon. Passed for now and glad I did, went out this morning and had 6 bucks at 15-20 yards eating acorns. One was a mountable 10 pointer and another was a mountable 12 pointer, the rest dinks. Problem was they were hard to my right and even though I was able to get turned around, I didn't clear any limbs... I might have thrown a new thousand dollar bow as far as I could've.

Just got through practicing with my recurve, I can throw it further!