New Mercs

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I'll admit, I'm a bit of a merc slut. Look like they announced a 3.4l 6 cyl. 175, 200, and 225. You can either get dts or mechanical. 475ish lbs.

Might be just right for those heavier 28ft boats that need a bit more than the twin I4's could provide.

The new cowling design might take a bit to get used to..

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I can tell how excited everyone is...(grin)

Here is a good thread on THT.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/900211-rumor-real-mercury-unveils-new-200-miami-46.html

Might have to trip my 150s in a few years and get twin 200s. Pricing sounds in line with the verados. Problem you run into is you need to go counter rotating if you go over 150s for twins or you need power steering.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I don't think I'm particularly brand loyal, when it comes to outboards, and I know local service is a serious consideration, especially in your remote location.

Personally, I don't think the Suzuki marine line-up (150-250hp, anyway) can be beat in the terms of value. Their 4-strokes have a solid reputation, a 6yr warranty, and they price out several thousand dollars cheaper than the competition. I also like their lower gear ratios, so even their 4-cylinders are able to turn a full 16" prop.

I will continue to avoid all outboards with "fly-by-wire" controls, as long as I can. I've seen too many things go wrong with them....like not starting the engine because some stupid sensor says the motor is in gear. I was not impressed with the Suzuki 300s, for the handful of seasons I ran them. It was always something with those damned things! Give me plain old cable controls, and the reliability that goes with them.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Calvin said:
Problem you run into is you need to go counter rotating if you go over 150s for twins or you need power steering.
Our 28-footer had a pair of right-hand rotation 225s on there until last season, when we swapped to a different set of 225s. On the "new" pair, one is counter-rotating.

We have hydraulic steering, but not power steering. Yes, there is a difference, but when I shop for new motors in a few years, I will not be spending the extra money for a counter-rotating model. The difference is not that big a deal to be worth the extra cost and the hassle of separate props, and the like.

Uncle Dave

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
It is pretty nice to bump up and down 50rpm at a time when trolling...other than that I agree I like mechanical controls pretty well.

One of those Merc 225s would go nicely on our 21ft runabout.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I've had my share of electronic control screw ups. Last season I had my aft steering station malfunction. 8 years of saltwater exposure finally did it in. Basically the on/off button malfunctioned and I lost all power to the boat while fishing. I took off the bulkhead panel and unplugged it. Everything worked then. Also had a trim switch short out a few years ago. Nothing puts you on edge like the smell of electrical burning on a boat. Again, aft steering station and saltwater.

Knowing how to access and what to unplug is key.

I went with my mechanical controls for what I have now for that very reason. Glad Merc gave us the option to do either with these new outboards.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Uncle Dave said:
It is pretty nice to bump up and down 50rpm at a time when trolling...other than that I agree I like mechanical controls pretty well.

One of those Merc 225s would go nicely on our 21ft runabout.
Agreed.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
After re-reading your original post, Calvin, I can see that I overlooked a very key feature......475 POUNDS! That is impressively lightweight for a 3.4L V6 outboard. Yes, the new cowling design will take some getting used to, but I do like the flip up top door for easily checking oil, and I like the fact that the new models are offered with good, old-fashioned manual controls.

I have at least another year to think about a repower, but these new Mercurys might change the conversation.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Weight is the key. Having a 6cyl in that weight will really be impressive, IMO. I will say that my 4cyl Mercs in 3.0L have really impressed. I can plane my boat with one engine which says a lot. But when it comes time to repower, it'll be with one of these.

Merc don't scare me a bit. They got the verados right, and guys are pushing 4k hours on twins. Don't see how these will be any different.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Calvin said:
Merc don't scare me a bit.
That is good to hear!

I spent some time on the phone with Joe Koffler, of Koffler Boats, last week. I was picking his brain on 4-cyl 200s versus V6 225/250 Suzukis. He was singing the praises of Mercurys, as well. Seems they've been running Mercs for a while out of their lodge, and they've been really pleased with them.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
They have fixed the issues that they had. Beafing up the lower units being one of them. The Craig charter fleet is mostly merc.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Their V6 SeaPro model is only offered as a 200-horse, but the commercial lower unit sounds interesting....supposed to last 3x longer than a recreational lower unit. I can't find too many details on the 200hp SeaPro, but here's a thread I found on the 150 SeaPro.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/685570-what-differences-standard-mercury-150-four-stoke-vs-commercial-seapro-model.html

From what I gather, the SeaPro has a beefier lower unit with a lower gear ratio. I'm thinking these might be good features to have on a 10k - 11k pound offshore boat? Or, should a guy keep the 50 extra horsepower and go with a pair of their 225hp recreational models?

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
The sea pro is interesting, no doubt. With that lower unit, they must be designed for pushing and towing heavy loads with big props. Same warranty as a guide program engine too. (2 years) But, with how I'm booking up for 2019, I'm going to buy a spare 150 to have on hand for replacement/parts should something go TU. I'll probably be with the 150s for awhile then once I start accumulating spares and parts.

At the time I bought, I had to go recreational to get the 25% AK guide discount. They've since stopped that and gone to 10% which I think is also the commercial discount.

noodlz

Dec 6, 2011
They're not replacing Verados there are 250 , 300 and 350 V8 versions. Only thing I'm not a fan of is how they drive one cam off the other with a chain via sprockets between lobes.