data-csrf="1711666892,72af34fe9ec5b6d294538f5c4408cd5e" Nightforce | As Real As It Gets

Nightforce

Painless

Administrator
I have an itch that I want to scratch. Looking at the NXS 3.5x15x50 with the MOAR reticle. Any other scopes I should be looking at. I am also looking at the SS 3 x 15HD. This going on a heavy 7wsm that will only be shot at steel and paper.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm sooooooo fucking done with variables.

Do what you gotta do,if only to say that you've BT/Dt.

Pass the 10x MQ on a Giggles Play Toy Rifle for me...........

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I have the exact scope you mentioned. Gott damn nice piece of kit.

Had it mounted on my lightweight 300WM but it was just too heavy for that rifle.

Moved it over to my heavy 30great and it is perfect on this weight rifle.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I don't have the 3-15, but do have the 5.5-22 NXS as well as 4-16 and 5-20 SHVs and a couple of 12-42 Benchrest and a 15-55 Competition. Outside of the Competition, the rest are heavy, but the glass is fantastic...and totally repeatable...

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
The center of the moar reticle is the part I don't get. It's kinda like having a tape measure with only 1" designations for the first foot.

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
I have an older NXS 3.5-15x50 with the NP-R1 SFP and a brand new SHV 4-14x50 F1 with the Mil-R reticle.

You didn't say if you wanted first (FFP) or second focal plane (SFP). Both of these scope have good glass but both fall short for the money for different reasons. My NXS is not a FFP which is where it falls short.

The SHV falls short in that it only provides 5 mils per turret revolution. Not a big deal but you get spoiled when gaining 10 mils in one turn. The SHV only has the lit crosshair, not the whole reticle. Lastly, the SHV seems to have much less eye relief than other scopes in the same class.

If you are looking for 1) a variable with 2) 10 mil/rev 3) FFP 4) fully lit reticle and 5) pricepoint similar or less than Nightforce, I would seriously consider the Burris XTR II in a 3-15 or 4-20 with MOAR reticle. Glass is clear on them until you get into the last 5x and then you get some chromatic aberration. However, they have all of the other features I'd look for in a scope including tracking.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Was intending on SHV'ing my .223 AI that's in progress.

But shitty eye relief is a deal killer for me.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The SHV attraction is lost upon me. It offers NOTHING that connects dots.

Pass the Fixed Fucker(s)................

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
Big Stick said:
Gross erector travel pales.

On everything NightFarce...............
For comparison per eye relief:

NXS 3.5-15x50: 3.9"
SHV 4-14x50: 2.8 - 3.1"
Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50 (Stick's Favorite): 3.6-4.5"

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Do NOT discount my thanks,for that nudge.

I had ZERO fucking idea,that the 6x Fixed Fucker existed.

Obliged...........

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Big Stick said:
The SHV attraction is lost upon me. It offers NOTHING that connects dots.

Pass the Fixed Fucker(s)................
I'm still a huge fan of fixed 6's, don't get me wrong.

Been shooting quite a bit with a couple guys who are running higher power than I'm used to, can't say I don't wish for more at times.

Can't really afford NXS-level glass and figured the SHV line to be a step up from the variable SWFA line to warrant the extra money. Need to find a few i can handle a bit and get a better idea of em. Pard has a couple of the 3-15 SWFAs from the last sale and I had no complaints the few times I used them at the range.

That's where my initial interest came from.

I have a proven 3.5-10x40 that hasn't let me down yet that I'll probably stick on there. I just don't have the faith in them I used to. I read a lot here on them puking on you guys, but I've got a a feeling yall are a lot harder on shit than me. But lately I've seen 4 give out here, 3 of em on rifles that see nothing but the range.

I've said it before, but I could live forever with 6x42 and 3.5-10 Leupys if they would make the damn things work right.

Shooter71

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I built something for a friend who insisted on buying an SHV. It would’ve been smarter to swfa and pay me the difference. Didn’t care for it at all. The higher end nightforces are great if you need telescope magnification for your use.

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
Lineman,
I too have a Meupold MK 4 3.5-10x40 M1. I've had it 12 years and still use it. It's been back to Leupold twice. Once you tracking issues and the other for parallax going south. In performing a box test, it was all over the map. I too have lost faith in Leupold for a turret turner. There's too many good options out there to have to worry about consistency.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Painless said:
Roll tide what are your thoughts on the SHV?
I agree with what others have said in regards to the SHV eye relief and lack of travel.

For my rimfires, it's perfect where it's at.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
NightFarce shoulda simply stayed NightFarce and kept going forwards...rather than backwards.

They've never got it right,despite lotsa tries.

Shoulda been another 6x MQ arriving today,were it not for the fucking Holiday.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Should add,that Shit & Blender fuck things up too and especially fixed glass.

It really ain't that hard to offer a reticle that jives an erector,that has a buncha travel and be able to dump parallax as per whim,down to 10yds.

If you wanna go nuts,poke Illuminatti illumination in the bitch and you are THERE...............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I had no intent to talk anybody in or out of anything,but it's generally intellesting to note who's looking for what in Optics and especially them devices that are crafted to steer bullets. I prolly look at things more than a touch different from most,because I shoot a smidge and can immediately appreciate bullets with direction on 'em.(grin)

Everyone's "far" or "fast" is different,but I've never fretted mine. In the end and as an ABSOLUTE,nobody can gun past their erector or reticle,with anything nearing consistency. That's just the simplistic Facts and Physics,of how a bullet gets steered,none of which is subjective. So one can certainly Start At The Fucking Start,then check boxes in regards to what do what and perhaps even more importantly WHY.

I have seen wayyyyyyyyyyyy more fucked up shit due to too many X's,than I ever have with "not enough" X's. I know lotsa guys who are X Gawkers and reliably fuck themselves right proper,when it comes time to connect a dot. Things become even more muddled when talking SFP and trying to double dip by dumping X's and a portion of the windshield. It's reliably rather fucking funny and tends to hurt feelers.(grin)

There are some very simplistics CONSTANTS to all of this,though many who really should KNOW fucking better,are in a hurry to overlook same and go right to fucking shit up. You can see it coming,from miles away.

Firstly,bullets matter more than headstamps. Always have,always will. If you can arrange a friendly parcel that'll kiss from it's confines and squirts a meaningful bullet,ALOTTA shit just got real fucking easy. Consistency is key and less is more.

Secondly,lotsa folks are stumped by mount/ring selection and tank themselves right outta the gate. The LW's of today as a case in point,are absolute pieces of dog fucking shit,compared to them of old. DeadNutz uses better material,but ring spacing sucks ass. A bubble packed 1913 rail and rings,will smoke both,for only reasons that matter. Concentricity and ring spacing,leading that cast of characters.

Thirdly,very fucking few folks actually shoot and even fewer of that starting number,do so in conditions that are shy of ideal,but indeed reality. Knowing when not to,is as soothing as knowing when to. The only way to arrange same,is to press all boundaries.

Fourthly,not many bullet steering optics,behave in a manner which repeat and are reliable. Like wayyyyyyyyyyy fucking FEWER,than what ever everyone is thinking now. There ain't no "hype" in rugged reliability,because you can NOT fucking see that quantity. But JipJap coating and Dumbfuckery DooDads abound instead of. Erectors don't jive reticles,travel is a fucking joke and there's no telling about tracking or zero retention. Pardon my putting zero "faith" in a scope that got "tested" with a collimator and never even fucking shot in the flesh.(grin)

I could beat the drums forever and they'd build something dumber than the last,before I wrapped up talking about the last piece of shit. This ain't a NightFarce rag,Reupold is the worst of the worst and it do seem like their hearts are in retaining them "merits". When you see/hear bullet steering Specs,it's easy to cypher if it was a WindowLickers efforts,or some guy with his dick in the dirt making empties,connecting dots.

How in THE fuck does a guy hand away a 50 Mil+ parcel,that'll dump parallax to the 10yd line,track and repeat in the realm of What THE Fuck(daily)in order to "get" something that mechanically can NOT begin to hang with it.

You boys better work on your Sales Pitches....................(grin)

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Point taken...

I'll probably end up 6x MQing it too, just like everything else. Got a few extra from the last sale. Just had an itch to try something different.

It is hard not to run a fixed SS. Especially on a tight-ish budget.

Still wishing Leupold would get their shit together, but I don't think they even give a shit.

Except on a couple rimfires, I really have no use for a 30mm tube or the huge erector travel they provide. Could give a shit less about windage turrets too and don't have any issue at all with a regular duplex.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
EVERYONE is quick to take me wrong and rest assured...I'm quicker to let 'em.(grin)

Now THAT fucks with heads.

Reupold is an easy root-for...I get it. Stomped there,seen their shit and tried to help them help themselves. Dollars changed,they said "fuck it" and you get what you get. Buy elder and with a good eye and you'll be in fair to middlin' shape. Get "tricky" or "new" and your ass WILL hurt.(grin)

Now alotta folks are VERY quick to dismiss what I cite,based on "looks" or "aesthetics" or "ergo's"...which is a nice coupla ways to say "Eye-Fucking". Here's where I am at,because I KNOW it and DO it. Commonality,do NOT "hurt" results. Pardon me running like wares on a broad spectrum of platforms,who's relative "abilities" and "capabilities" run the gamut. I don't ALWAYS infer a 112yd shot with a FWB 300S mimics a centerfire at 1500yds+ line,but I've a "hunch" that I'm not immune to ALL Ballistics.(grin)

The constants ARE the fucking constant and that fucks with heads. Did I shoot my 6-06 yesterday? Yep. Did I adjust it in a manner different from my Anschutz 1717D HB,so as to steer bullets? Nope.

The mechanical keys to steering bullets,crossover with obvious consistencies. Parallax is fucking HUGE. One more time. HUGE!

Erector travel/zero retention and the reticle are born to harmonize too. Such things are arranged.

Like ele and windage values are soothing,just as their limits are. The mechanics are THE key and a reticle that plays nice,WILL steal the show.

Hint...............

Painless

Administrator
So I think I am off the NF kick for now, just don’t want to put that much coin out for a scope right now. I can hear the toldjaso already, but I do want to know if any of you have had any dealings with Athlon scopes. I know that fixed scopes are more robust but I am hard headed and want to go variable on this one. I have narrowed my choices down to the SS 3x15 and the Athlon Ares 4. Something to something.

Yes Stick I can hear you shaking your head.......grin

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
All good,do what you gotta do.

If'n I was gonna NightFarce it'd be the 2.5-10x 42 Illuminated with the milscale.

Pass the Fixed Fuckers in MQ and I mighta just unwrapped another one,seconds ago.

There's nothing in the 3x15 SWFA to get horned up about,on any level.

Hint...............

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I've had great results with the Burris XTR II, but can't speak on the Athlon...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Burris has always been amongst the "best" at having the least amount of erector travel...which is a GREAT thing,because they had to go Signature eccentrics to salve all them woes over the years.

Their XTR II's "boast" less than 3MOA per maintube diameter millimeter,which is VERY "impressive".(grin)

I've more than a few Fixed Fuckers which cough up 40 Mils on the erector alone,after their respective zero's (50 to 250yds depending upon the platform).

Wait 'til you see the new rifle that arrived and what it'll cough up...........(grin)

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Thinking now i may just stay the 6x MQ course. Have a couple extra on hand.

Be a good excuse to pick up a new shotgun for duck season.

MontanaMan

Nov 28, 2007
Painless said:
So I think I am off the NF kick for now, just don’t want to put that much coin out for a scope right now. I can hear the toldjaso already, but I do want to know if any of you have had any dealings with Athlon scopes. I know that fixed scopes are more robust but I am hard headed and want to go variable on this one. I have narrowed my choices down to the SS 3x15 and the Athlon Ares 4.
I don't think I could bring myself to say NF or SS in the same breath as Athlon...............might as well go buy a Bushy AR glass :grin:

Big Stick said:
If'n I was gonna NightFarce it'd be the 2.5-10x 42 Illuminated with the milscale.
This ^^^^but hard to swallow the $$$ compared to various SS's.

But as to vertical travel, I guess I don't see the need for 140 MOA vs 100 as an A-Max in a 7mm drops around 60-65 MOA at 1500 long when zeroed at 250'ish & started at 2700 FPS.

The extry travel is nice to have but unless flinging round nosed punkins, more that I need for my uses & ranges spinning good boolits at decent velocities.

MM

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm often balls out an erector,stealing from the windshield on Fixed Fuckers and certainly would not want less travel.

Hoping to eek 35-ish Mils on the other side of a 200yd zero,with this piece of shit...and will know for certain in the morning.

Stabbed 60 MOA of inclination in it,to start with...................