data-csrf="1714039020,e4d7baf446f699f84deb19ec053c6463" Outdoor Fire Cooking Thread | As Real As It Gets

Outdoor Fire Cooking Thread

Shooter71

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I’m a horrible cook. I don’t smoke anything or do any fancy brisket, but I enjoy burning meat over a fire. Usually use the big grinder pit and a grate, or a “discata” disc with the center hole welded up. Was scrounging around the scrap yard a couple days ago and found this old pipeliner’s truck bbq in the dirt. Weighs about 68lbs because I had to pay the scrap fee. “Georgie” is welded in the door. Hoping it has some mojo. Once I figured out the air it cooked a good tritip and some veggies and stayed hot for hours.

Anybody else a fire cooking hack? Recipes?

Attachments

Reactions: Steven

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
Those peppers with some EVO and Cavendars are bitchin.

My girls love em with ranch.

Drown some cheap bone in pork chops in some pineapple/orange/mango/whatever Dole juice for a few hours, Cavendars and blacken them. Look for the red meat on them chops. Camp favorite.

Shooter71

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I’ll have to get a pic of the grinder pit in full swing. My day used to cook for the brandings and I’d be running chicken and tritip. Hated it at the time.

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
The more rudimentary the apparatus, the better result I reckon - assuming the meat is any good to start with!

Can’t beat a basic hot plate or grill over coals, and just cook meat, fish, veggies and all over the heat as slow as you have the patience to!

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I use a Webber go-anywhere for most of my burning. Also have a few smokers home built and otherwise.
I’m no meat cooking pro, but I have fun none the less.

Apr 3, 2010
Webber and RecTec here. The Webber is now over 20 years old, one set of new burners in that time. Cooks like new. The RecTec turns out consistently excellent results on large hunks of meat and ribs. I can see Georgie having his place though. Nice find.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I've got a treager for most cooking, but also have a fire pit I built out of cinder blocks and about a 3x6' grate I made for real fire cooking when the mood strikes

Shooter71

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
It’s a big grinder from a rock mill. Dad had a few and was nice enough to give me one. About 5 feet dia and a couple inches thick. Once it gets hot you can tuck your legs under it.