data-csrf="1713873271,67b451b60e64174efdb7f2fbe757830a" rubber for 3/4 ton's | As Real As It Gets

rubber for 3/4 ton's

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
Need to replace the tires on the '04 2500 cummins. Not too worried about optimum highway manners, but it does a fair amount of snow plowing during the winter, so snow traction is a priority. Only bought this one in the spring, and the old sneakers are smoked, so I don't have much of a refrence point for waht works and wears well in this heavy a truck.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
BFGs have been the best handling for me, as they are stiffer in the sidewall than most. That also means they don't ride as comfy, but who cares. Our neighborhood plow truck is running Blizzak's, and they rock in that duty. I have no idea how long they would last as a mixed duty tire, as that truck hasn't seen pavement in 10 years, and probably never will again. If you end up with lots of ice, I'd either go that route or dedicated studs.

I'm running Michelin M&S on my 06 cummins now, and they are certainly not an off-road tire, but have done pretty well in the ice and snow. And if that truck ever got "offroad" the fact that it is 100 feet long would be a much bigger problem than its tires.

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
These will be dedicated winter tires. Once snow hits here, this truck doesn't get to do anything but work until spring, so I'm thinking Blizzaks might be the best option.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Studded Nokian Hakkapellita's.....Period. We run them at work on 3/5 GMC's, nothing else comes close. Ex put them on her one ton ford crew last winter, pretty much unstoppable on ice and snow until you hit bumper deep.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I'm a fan of studs, and I have a set of Hack-A-Palozza's studded for the the dodge. The blizzaks are neck and neck. (I don't blame you, I wouldn't believe it either) That said, I've run the hackapaloozas in nearly every condition, and the blizzaks only on the plow truck.

Not sure a Ford 6.9/auto really has enough power to spin tires...

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
thanks for the input guys. I got ghe truck last february with general grabbers already on it. They really sucked, but we never got a break from the snow long enough to replace them. I aim to be a touch better prepared this time around!

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Anything you buy, will be better than the grabbers....

I do understand the hesitation with studs and dry pavement, but it really isn't that bad.

For conversation though, I run the hakka's on my work truck, that sees a minimum of 6000km's a month over the winter on ice/snow/dry pavement/gravel/mud. I'm sold on 'em. Until April, when there gets to be a couple inches of mud over ice. Then I like chains.....(grin)

Sounds like the blizzards can hang though, so you'll be hard pressed to go wrong either way.

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
On the 2 F250's I've owned I've run these 10 Plies as dedicated "fall/winter tires in North Dakota:

Goodyear Duratracs, they suck.

BF ATKO's, they're good.

Nitto Trail Grapplers, they're good in wet/heavy snow until you get hard packed snow/ice, then they suck.

BF ATKO II on currently and only have ~7K on them and not enough with any snow to say that they're better/worse than the original. If you can get by w/load D, they make a 34x10.50R17 that looks like it'll cut it's own track pretty well. That's the size I put on my current '11 F-250 as I don't tow anything heavy.

I ran a set of 10-ply Hankook MT03's on an '05 F150 crew and they worked well to about 15k, then 2 of them couldn't be run on the front due to inability to balance them, the wheel would shake violently @60MPH.

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
Blizzak's on order. Having a hell of a time finding some steel rims. The Dealer told be they could only get them for 2500 gas trucks. WTF? Diesel and gas 2500 wheels are different? I just shook my head and kept looking.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
In 04, I believe they are all the same... unless there is a weight rating difference. Dodge did the 2500 and 2500 "Heavy Duty" thing for a while, and I think everything with the diesel was "HD".

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
04 had the HO. Dodge also does the 8800gvw and ~7500gvw 2500's though I'm not sure if in 04.
Suspect rotors and calipers could require more rim clearance on the higher weight rated front ends. Couldn't say, I've only owned the 8800gvw models.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
You'll need to know your gvw for brakes and front end running gear parts. It's listed in your drivers door jamb. Diesel extended or quad cab should be 8800.

GansettX

Feb 5, 2015
WV
Most make the mistake...our Cummins is heavy! I've had great experience with Cooper STT's. 10 ply on mine 285's and it will get it done. Most others I'm stuck in a scrim of mud. Never hurts that the coopers are made in the USA!

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Hadn't looked at my 2006 yet. Didn't notice they bumped them up 200 pounds. Must have started selling them with higher load rated tires. LOL!

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
Ended up with the blizzaks, and have no complaints. Light years ahead of the old grabbers, but even I saw that coming. Now it's time to think about tires for the rest of the year. The grabbers are pretty much toast, so I need to figure out what to run for the rest of the year. Mostly pavement driving, with some gravel use, but not much. Not doing any heavy towing, or mud bathing. Not much need for mud tread here.

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
wolfman said:
Ended up with the blizzaks, and have no complaints. Light years ahead of the old grabbers, but even I saw that coming. Now it's time to think about tires for the rest of the year. The grabbers are pretty much toast, so I need to figure out what to run for the rest of the year. Mostly pavement driving, with some gravel use, but not much. Not doing any heavy towing, or mud bathing. Not much need for mud tread here.
Look for takeoffs @ the dealerships. Anywhere from 5-100mi and ~25% discount 'round here.