data-csrf="1711636201,45630fad842c57db7b9871e43209d96e" Ruger Precision Rimfire | As Real As It Gets

Ruger Precision Rimfire

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Anyone running one? Thoughts?

Seems like they have
  • Known mags, which is both good and bad
  • A bolt action
  • Adjustable stock
  • Threaded barrel
  • A price point below the 77/22
For a guy with a 22lr can on the way, and a kid that needs to learn how to shoot, can you beat it for the buck?

I read about 1/2 a page on snipers hide where they were bitching (sounded justified) about the stock inlet and resulting so-so accuracy. Curious to hear other's reactions.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I would too. And did. And they're threaded.
I suppose a kid would probably love the RPR more though, and they are cheap. Even if the bedding sucks - how hard could that be to fix? A little 30 minute epoxy? The LOP adjustment might be nice as he grows.

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
No thang to S/S RAR and spend $20 for the Compact stock module and it's 12.5" LOP.

Lighter,handier and easier for a Duffer to drive.................

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Just remembered they have the adjustable one too that could grow with a kid. Stick - you've got one on something, right? Any good?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Boyd's does the AT-One,which I'm sure is what you are referencing. I find the ergo's fairly clunky,but they do adjust LOP,though mine is a 10/22 inlet. They add a fair amount of mass to the equation,with a large grip,which isn't gonna do a Duffer any favors.

The Compact Module is easiest/best and lightest. Others can shoot the lesser LOP just fine,if it's set up correctly for a Duffer(eye-relief). Add a dot sight to the equation ad everybody wins................

Reactions: dznnf7

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Well... lemme see

The stock, kind of sucks. LOP and comb height are not independently adjustable, unless you ignore gravity
That cheekpiece is a POS. I'll lose sleep over how to improve that.
The magwell is too long by 1/8". Of course, I can fix that, but wtf ruger? It actually causes feeding issues, as documented by something called the "world wide web" of information.
The overall weight is not horrid. Balance is nose heavy, but again, workable.

There's a lot of components there for the buck, but not necessarily set up the way I'd do it.

I don't mind scooping a SS RAR Rimfire or 3 for comparison.

Attachments

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Actually bought it in your backyard,while passing through one of the smaller stores. Believe it or not,their pricing was VERY good,but I can't now remember the exact particulars. I wanna say $319.99 or mebbe even less?!?

Have bought multiple cases of Rimfire ammo there too,but anymore just hit the Big Stores................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I get in a mood now and again and go sniffing about,to see what's up. Been good lately...as it seems like the Mail is doing it's job,scratchin' itches...............

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
Lot of guys show up to my NRL22 shoot with them, seem to do OK. I think all of them end up getting tweaked heavily.

One's I've shot were fine, but I agree with CWH that the stock is the weak link. Good idea, not the greatest execution.

If you find yourself putting in a big order of aftermarket stuff in order to improve it.... STOP. Sell that shit and just go buy something else. The Tikka T1x dropped into a KRG Bravo looks to be the cheap setup to beat.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Lot of guys show up to my NRL22 shoot with them, seem to do OK. I think all of them end up getting tweaked heavily.

One's I've shot were fine, but I agree with CWH that the stock is the weak link. Good idea, not the greatest execution.

If you find yourself putting in a big order of aftermarket stuff in order to improve it.... STOP. Sell that shit and just go buy something else. The Tikka T1x dropped into a KRG Bravo looks to be the cheap setup to beat.
I've got a Facebook group called Rimfire Tactical, that is full of Vudoo's, Anschutz and other cool rimfires. Several people in the group like their RPR's, but I'm not terribly impressed by them.

Jeremy mentioned the Tikka in a Bravo. One of the guys in my group from Australia did just that, dropping a T1x into a KRG and adding a bolt shroud and a bent handle, similar to an AI bolt handle...it's sexy as hell.

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
I think the Vudoo thing is almost something you have to arrive at, kinda like handy/dandy rifles. I wasn't really 'on the fence' before getting mine, but I really wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do.

The Vudoo wins out for me because it's fucking great, by default. I don't worry about it not feeding, mags getting damaged, having to work over the action/stock/etc, baby the bolt throw, or other manners of fuckery. It shoots as good as the ammo I feed it, and does so consistently. All I did was cut the check and make sure that the mag height looked good when I plopped it into a chassis. I've owned rimfires that shot (slightly) better, looked nicer, were cheaper, etc.... but none that were as reliably killer.

I still love the fuck out of tinkering with these things... but it's really nice to *not* have worry about any of that shit sometimes.

Reactions: Rolltide

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The all S/S construction is HUGE to me. I've flogged on my Little One without mercy and it has never even thought about bobbling. It is simply a mechanical marvel and the Precision is Anschutz good.

EASILY the most favorite wares in the larder..........................

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I think the Vudoo thing is almost something you have to arrive at, kinda like handy/dandy rifles. I wasn't really 'on the fence' before getting mine, but I really wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do.

The Vudoo wins out for me because it's fucking great, by default. I don't worry about it not feeding, mags getting damaged, having to work over the action/stock/etc, baby the bolt throw, or other manners of fuckery. It shoots as good as the ammo I feed it, and does so consistently. All I did was cut the check and make sure that the mag height looked good when I plopped it into a chassis. I've owned rimfires that shot (slightly) better, looked nicer, were cheaper, etc.... but none that were as reliably killer.

I still love the fuck out of tinkering with these things... but it's really nice to *not* have worry about any of that shit sometimes.
Everything in Jeremy's post mirrors my experience.

The company is solid with an exceptional buying experience.

My Vudoo has replaced my 54.18 and about a dozen other higher end rimfire. If the market weren't down so much, I'd be selling off several of them right now, just to add 2 other rimfire to the herd...

I need another Vudoo, this time a lightweight. I wouldn't mind a 20" Proof Carbon barreled action in the Patriot Valley A5 stock with another TT Diamond Flat Blade... That A5 stock only weighs 16 oz, but is expensive as shit...and the Proof ain't cheap. I'm sure others will shoot as well or maybe better, but I dig the shit out of it...

The other rimfire I need is a 1727F Trainer. I want a Fortner and well...go big or go home I guess...

Buy the Vudoo and be done with trying to make other rifles more than they are...I've spent a fortune doing that, just to get to where I am...about to order another Vudoo...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
There was a GOOD buy on a Fortner on The 'Hide...but reality set in and I'd rather have 3rd Vudoo.....................

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I'm listening. And making a mental list of rifles I'd have to sell...
I've been doing the same for a bit, but the Trump slump has hurt sales.

I really believe that the Vudoo's have hurt sales of the other high end rimfires. Anschutz, Sako's, and the 40X market are way down.

Kimbers and Coopers aren't selling nearly as quickly as they have in the past either.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
There was a GOOD buy on a Fortner on The 'Hide...but reality set in and I'd rather have 3rd Vudoo.....................
I don't know how, but I missed seeing that until it was already sold...otherwise, I would'a scooped it up. There was a .22 LR on RFC earlier this week, with beautiful wood, for a steal as well, but I want a .22 LR in a Trainer stock and heavy barrel...and it wasn't either of those ...

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I've been doing the same for a bit, but the Trump slump has hurt sales.
There's just something hilarious about the fact that the mere mention of a whackadoodle president drives gun prices through the roof. Obama, Hilary, and Shotgun Joe are THE best gun salespeople out there.

To quote Millhouse: "The ironing is delicious"

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I don't know how, but I missed seeing that until it was already sold...otherwise, I would'a scooped it up. There was a .22 LR on RFC earlier this week, with beautiful wood, for a steal as well, but I want a .22 LR in a Trainer stock and heavy barrel...and it wasn't either of those ...

I almost did it,just 'cause.....................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
There's just something hilarious about the fact that the mere mention of a whackadoodle president drives gun prices through the roof. Obama, Hilary, and Shotgun Joe are THE best gun salespeople out there.

To quote Millhouse: "The ironing is delicious"

Obama sold more Firearms than Hitler.

Fairly impressive,for certain....................

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Toss it in plywood.................
Did just that with my stainless target and went through a bit of frustration finding out how it wanted to be bedded. Ended up floating the rear of the action and full contact bedding the front and about 2” of barrel shank.

If I ever fuck around with another one of these I’ll figure out a way to bond the front V block to the action to eliminate one variable.