data-csrf="1711675031,5aec22e77cc7f73d6068028e610f3e48" Ruger RAR Predator 308 Win | As Real As It Gets

Ruger RAR Predator 308 Win

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Looking for a light, short, handy and cheap rifle to shoot steel out to 1000y or more, and also carry around in the truck on pigs.

Thinking the RAR Predator in 308 Win with the 18" bbl that looks slightly stouter than the RAR Compact. Going to probably shoot Dyer 155g bullets that are made here and much much cheaper than the 155 Scenars, that sell here for near 90c a shot. The Dyers run around 35c if bought by the thousand. They're very similar in profile and design to the Scenar to my eye.

Anyone know how the Predator is throated in 308? Favourable for getting close to the lands with a Scenar-esque bullet?

As for scope I was thinking of getting one of them 6x MQ SWFAs brought in by a mate who travels there. If I can't arrange same, is there anything in the Leupold line worth considering, as most of their stuff is available here?

Haven't been able to handle the 308 Predator in the gun shops close to me, so any hands-on drum anyone can give me would help a lot.

Thanks.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Firstly...contour means nothing. Secondly...there's no 308 with a short throat,mainly because there has long been too much shitty ammo in the World,that'd preclude same.

Stainless Steel is always THE preference.

A S/S RAR 308 in a MDT LSS chassis would connect alotta dots. It'd nip the shit OEM handle and offer a COAL increase,along with DBM's. I've no feel for what that'd cost in your AO,but that'd be a sound parcel.

A 77 S/S Laminate in 308,would be a more direct route and 77 COAL trumps 700's,as well as many others..............

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
They're getting closer with the SWFA's:
http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-ss-to-canada-and-uk_topic42938.html

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Ok well you've convinced me re the S/S RAR Compact vs the Predator. Much of a muchness cost-wise.

While the chassis you quoted is available here I'll go Boyds, because its 200 bucks vs 600-odd and "inexpensive" is part of the brief. I will be trimming it to the blazes though 'cause I find the laminates heavy, clubbish things.

How have you found bedding the RAR action in the laminate?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Good bedding will NEVER hurt and often works Miracles.

308 RAR mags trump their 223 versions and you'll be fine.

Once CDI has their RAR DBM's going...it'll make alotta shit easier...............

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Will be espesh keen if I can get one of those prized scopes to top it all off. The expanded export program is a big thing for us.

Have several rifles I can retire and condense into said platform, as I've got a lot of 308s. Happy to stay 308 due bulk brass etc, but want to make the most of it.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I prolly shoot a fuck of a lot more 308,than I let on. Went Skinner Happy last time home and scrubbed THE Sleeper's bore to wean it offa Ball and make way for Moly Goodness.

Should poke a 2oz trigger in it...............