data-csrf="1711713925,a46cd778049b2549c61edc5e4ab02fc3" S W 422 | As Real As It Gets

S W 422

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I happened across a 4" 422 today and figured it should have a new home. I'm pretty sure I've seen them mentioned here before but was curious to see what the general opinion is.

Was bought mainly as a lightweight option to my boat anchor Rugers.

Anybody else slummin' with one?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I gun several version,with a marked preference to the 6" fixed version for utility. They are rugged,reliable,accurate and veddy veddy handy.

My favorite packer,by quite a margin..............

Eagle1899

Dec 9, 2007
not where I would like
Got one, runs great. Trigger is a bit mushy, and not too fond of the front sight. Could use something square, as issued ramp is hard to see. Fact its missing some finnish does not help, a sharpie does though.

Still like my Buckmark better.

A S&W 41 in stainless would be the shit, if only....

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I would have preferred the 6", but the little 4" was too good of a bargain to pass up.

Heading out right now to put a few bricks downrange...

Guess today may suck...grin

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I paint sticked the front sight,with glow in the dark fish lure colorin'. I'm a great fan of the alloy receiver in conjunction with the S/S liner,as per fending shit weather/salt. The mag release rules(trumping even the 41).

Buckmarks ain't horrid,I've a few.............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I can flat out fucking shoot my 6-incher's and have done more shit with them that can't be did,than anyone could ever begin to fathom.

Never a glitch and the round count well exceeds "fucking wow!"..................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
3:40AM here,what the fuck you doing up so early?

I've an excuse,in that it's long been etched for crummy catchin'..................

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Never noticed the time stamp till just now...I left that post about 7:30 yesterday morning right before I went to shoot for the day.

To say the 422 lived up to the reputation would be an understatement. Had 7 shooters yesterday with all varieties of rimfires.

Remingtons: 541-T, 541-T HB, 552 Speedmaster, and a model 41 Targetmaster

Rugers: 77/22 .22mag SS/Boat Paddle, several 10/22s, Ruger MKIIs of several flavors, and a Single Six

Brownings: 2 Buckmarks

CZs: 452 Varmints in .22 and .17HMR

S&W: 422, M&P 15/22

Of all of the toys present yesterday, my little 422 was passed around the most with several commenting about the weight and how easily it could be packed without ever knowing it was there. Accuracy was good and no issues in the 250 rounds it sent down range.

Appreciate the recommendation on this as it is a great new addition.

Chris

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Stick,

What holster are you using? I had a cheap uncle mike's that my 422 fits in ok, but am curious if there is a better one out there?

Chris

okbowman

Jun 4, 2008
I bought a Ruger .22/45 about a year ago, but I'm wishing I would have held out for a 422. The only trouble is I couldn't find one locally, and the local FFL guys charge too much for a transfer.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've a shitload of holsters,in both nylon and leather. Leather will hold a CorrosionX sheen better,on it's interior as a shit weather/salt barrier. Often traipsed with a 422 in the front pocket of some double tin pants,but hadta be careful to keep sawdust outta the muzzle.

Favorite is prolly a Lawrence 22lr boolit looped leather belt,with a pair of Lawrence leather button flap mag holders,mating a Uncle Mikes #3 hip holster.

Can throw it(#3) in the washer,after a good saltawater soaking.............

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Kind of curious about one thing on mine...the front part of the barrel, well not the barrel but the topstrap where the slide meets with the topstrap has lots of dings in various spots.

The impacts are all over the place so I'm not sure what the previous owner did, but I've never seen anything like that.

Anybody else had something like this or any idea what would cause it?

Chris

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
The dings are caused by powder residue on the breech face. Sounds hard to believe but it's true. CCI, Eley and RWS were / are bad for unburnt powder granules mucking up the action area. Aluminuum shrouded barrels will really show the wear.

hangunnr

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I have to say, it warms my heart to see guns that show a little use...grin

I'll have to get the camera out and take a few shots of mine. It doesn't look like the weather has hurt mine, just getting bounced around in the back of a safe.

I dig the front sight...whoever had mine before touched the front up with white out!

Chris

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've painted mine more times than a bunch.

My all S/S Target version of same is purty,but not practical. The practical shit looks the part.........

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I just noticed that you've a 12 round mag. It seems like I heard somewhere once upon a time that the magazines for the mod. 41 will fit in the 422. It that right? I only have the one, but it's a 10 rounder.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
'Gunner,

Thanks for clearing that up. Can't say that I've seen that before.

Chris

41rem

Jun 2, 2010
Westside, Wa.
Rolltide said:
Was bought mainly as a lightweight option to my boat anchor Rugers.
Same here, I have the 2213. It backs up my 5" S&W model 41

It is what it is, a lightweight reliable autoloader that shoots minute of grouse when needed. Fixed sites are on for me w/ Winchester super-X hp's.

I have the S&W holster for my M-41, but @ 40 oz. on the belt I don't carry it that often in the woods.

Much prefer my M-41 in all aspects other than the weight issue.