data-csrf="1711669099,4f3ca046a0a31aa23ff1a482f9975a30" Sako A7 S/S | As Real As It Gets

Sako A7 S/S

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
I have a bead on a plastic stocked, Sako A7 stainless in 308.

Anyone got / had / shot one? How did it go? Probably shoot 155g Dyers which have a very Scenar-esque profile.

The stock feels ok for plastic.

If I pull the trigger on it I'm thinking a 3-9 SWFA cause at times it will be carried in thick lignum and 6x is not much use there.

So shoot me down in flames or goad me on... :grin:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
You could worse.

I've been in the brush once,with a 6x and it worked just fine.(grin)

Tough to get giddy about plastic and I'd much rather have a Montucky wearing a 6x MQ,than a Sako A7 wearing a 3-9x variable....................

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Yep a 6x does OK in a pinch but when those porkers break from 4 feet away and you've got 10 feet of opportunity before they're gone I like low the power. S'pose I could bite the bullet and go red dot but you're buggered then when you emerge from the lignum onto a couple thousand acres of cultivation. You've won me though, can't hurt to try the Six.

Stick the Montana is gawd-awful expensive here. I've read much of what you guys have said about it. I don't doubt a word. But Dear God, $2600!!!

Any reason in particular to steer circumspectly re the A7?

Thanks for the reply.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
When shit be CRAZY close,stock fit/ergos are more important than anything and a scope is all but moot.

The Montana has no equal.

If I'm not gonna go handy/dandy(Montana),I'd just as soon drive a 700 wearing a DBM for Utility Fun. I've less than ZERO idea on what shit costs there,but I've never regretted good shit,no matter the cost.

I couldn't throw money at something wearing a plastic stock,unless I already had a replacement upgrade factored in...................

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Brett said:
Check out the 1-4 SS. Sounds like you'd like it.
Thanks Brett it looks perfect for the application. With some encouragement from Ridgeline and some subtle pressure from Stick there's a couple of MQs headed south... :cool:

Still up in the air which rifle it'll settle on; stuff it I'll probably just get another RAR for the money. And if going RAR I might just skirt the 308 and do it with the Creedmore.

In doing so I'm gonna flog off a couple or more 308s, a 270, a 303 Brit (of all things) a 250 AI and consolidate all the assets in a small handful of calibres and a new 22LR or so.

For all those I suspect I'll need an MQ or three...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Just got done with a purty good Round,checking zero on different Lots of Rimfire ammo. My Blue Annie Sillywet BAD Bitch 10/22 done good with multiple Lots of Federal Auto Match...with the greatest difference between flavorings being 25fps...from an Average of 1260fps with the speedy ones and 1235fps with the lingerers. The Lingering fucks shot the best,but I'll trade a smidge of Precision for more velocity and greater round count(just bought the speedy lot today and there's a whole bunch more of same).

Bought a Whirly Gig Roundy Round Steel Spinner and couldn't miss the small end at the 100yd line,in a bit of wind. The 10x MD Fixed Fucker done VERY good.

Nigger Buggy had the shot of the day at 1360yds CBS by checking a box with my Heavy 270 and 12X MQ,one and done. FUNNY shit,due the flight time(very nearly 3-seconds)!

He had tougher luck than I,with Lot to Lot Happiness,as he lost 165fps betwixt his fastest and slowest Lots of 17 Whizzum. That right proper sucks and will skew the shit outta things,not very far down the line.

R&D is half the fucking fun and it continues to blow my mind every outing,on how fucking incredibly well the Fixed Fuckers track. Though I hear good thangs about The Illuminatti too.................(grin)

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Yes I think I'll sacrifice some dough on the rifle this time around and hook meself up with a 6x Fixed and at least one of the 1-4x for a rimfire and one other.

That and a whole bunch of components for the RnD you're on about. My little range near the house can get me to 750y which is a nice start. 1.5k isn't far away.

So the RAR in 6.5 might get the nod rather than the aforementioned A7, less dough to spend and will be a good platform for learning and killing too.

Down the track have the aim on a 700 based platform in 6.5/260. In the meantime looking for recs re a good McM stock for the following purpose; walking and shooting from standing including leaning against a tree as well as offhand, a little shooting from the car and the very odd shot from prone (usually way too much grass and quite flat country).

I like the looks of the Game Scout. Thoughts anyone?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'd be thinking no more than #3 in a Classic.

If I was gonna go Creed' in the RAR,I'd follow suit on the 700 blueprint...assuming I was forced to drive a .473" donor.

Boolit availability,would be what dictated the build blueprint,if only because they matter more than headstamps.............

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Brett I was thinking about a #2-ish around 21-22 inches.

Stick it was always going to be a .473 and I'm ambivalent about the difference between the 260 Rem and 6.5 Creed excepting brass availability and cost.

Getting a gunsmith to speciality throat is not easy here. What say you fellows with respect to the SAAMI versions of the Creed vs the 260 in a standard 700 mag box, with regard to OAL?

The 143g ELDX / 140 ELDM is what I'm thinking.

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Failing the std mag box being an option, which is the best bottom metal / DBM to go with?

The RAR will get me into the game while the INTERMINABLE build time we endure here rolls along...

Brett

Oct 19, 2013
OK
The McM Hunter is also worth checking out.

Without a short throat the 260 will likely exceed standard mag dimensions (2.8"ish) while kissing the ELDs. A SAMMI 6.5 Creed will have a shorter OAL with the cited bullets but it may still be greater than mag confines.

I'd go DBM either way to gain more OAL, there are many AI-footprint mags that will allow 2.8"+ and some approaching 3.0".

The PTG stealth DBM is a good one, but anything with the M5 footprint and accepting of AI mags is what you want.

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Thanks very much.

I'm much of a newbie to the Rem 700 pattern in anything other than the vanilla ADL or BDL format.

As a time-poor person, I think I need LESS rifles and loads and to spend more time shooting them.

Appreciate the info.

starsky

Jul 17, 2012
Colorado
6.5x47 lapua can stay inside a Remington box just barely in my rifle. 140 bergers kiss the lands at 2.79" with the PTG reamer.

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Thanks Starsky.

I think it'll be a DBM. Nice to have the 10 rd option for shooting over crops at numerous targets.

Nice thing about shooting over crops (apart from all the targets) is all those fence posts lined up at regular distances. Should make the MQ reticle very handy I'd think.

Sure beats this guesswork-holdover I've been doing for the last 30 years...

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Yeah mate I did but I just can't see it being viable for most of my hunting which is basically walking through the bush and some shooting from the car.

If I go about setting up a dedicated prone shooting rifle that MDT looks the goods. But at this stage I am a hunter and cull shooter mainly with a sprinkling of the LR prone stuff starting to creep in.

(2 years ago I thought 450y was a heroically long shot!)

Thinking I'll go the Ruger RAR-P in 6.5CM to start me going, get a Rem700 blueprint kicked off (can take donkey's ages with our gunsmiths to get a job done) and in the meantime I'm shifting a geological age's worth of sh!t out of the safe to create funds, space and time to focus on procuring some stuff to expand my horizons.

I must say my eyes have been opened since getting into the North American gun talk forums. Down here we shoot animals by the millions but most of it is under a light and at less than 150 metres. Becomes an exercise in body counts rather than a sport with much in the way of skill.

Much to learn.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Any DBM that's of AICS magazine footprint,will do you proud. Give Colin at Atlas a shout,as he's in your hemisphere. He's good people and makes good shit.

It TRUMPS Badger M4 alloy efforts and absolutelt thrashes OEM BDL "metal".

No thing to eek 2.950"+ COAL with same,in a binderless magazine(modded AICS,or ready to roll Alpha and it's ilk).

There are no flies on PT&G Stealths.

It'd be tough to fuck up a DBM fed Creed's throat....................

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Hmm some good drum there. Thanks.

Hey 20 minutes ago I dropped a fox out of the front door of the shed at 400y in a good wind and a shower with the RAR using a 75g Amax... good to know they work here too. :grin:

Please don't cause embarrassment by asking me to cite the glass used... :sick:

ridgeline

Mar 22, 2009
australia
Bob, I think you would be very suprised at the flexibility and versatility of the MDT LSS, it really is a great platform I will be spendin' a lot more time behind mine, they tick alotta boxes no doubt about it....

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A vertical grip,always gets shit headed towards where it SHOULD be going. Same old shit,in that NOBODY points towards something/anything,in a manner akin to the strongside hand's ergo orientation upon a rifle's wrist. That simply do NOT fucking happen. Hint.(grin)

Filling a mitt with an ergonomic vertical grip,also obviously helps fend felt recoil. NOBODY can hold back the same amount of force in a parallel grip,as they can a vertical...mainly because Biomechanics make such things IMPOSSIBLE. That don't hurt the equation either.

Gunned more than a few 75 A-Max today myself,ala C-Note in a MDT LSS. It wears a modest contoured/lengthed spout,that is RAR-esque and the melding is simply superb.

Good shit sells itself and when the first MQ arrives,you'll just simply HATE Everyfucking thing else.

Seen it......................(grin)

ridgeline

Mar 22, 2009
australia
Even with a minimal amount of trigger time thus far behind the MDT LSS I KNOW this platform Fuckin' rocks! driving it through a recoil impulse is toooo easy, being able to also adjust ergo's on the fly is a huge bonus for self or another shooter of vastly different stature..

Can't really see a situation where the flexibility of the platform couldn't be adapted to... Gotta say I'm groovin' on the Fucker...

ridgeline

Mar 22, 2009
australia
Rogers lever lock looks to be a solid deal! I'm glad I went CTR over the MOE as the friction lock snugs up purty good...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I actually pulled a CTR,to go RSS. Magpul do have the advantage,with their OEM cheekrisers,should one need to travel that route.

Buggy's Black LSS Chassis Bitch 270 is wearing a 3/4" version of same and it's a good fit with the rings/bases incorporated.

The RSS Foam Bitch is perfect,with Low DD's..............

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Bucking logic maybe but the A7 stainless chambered in 308 found its way to my place. A McM is on order but I'm told that's likely to be a nine months wait so in the meantime I'll wring it out with the plastic handle. I could have got a BandC quicker but couldn't be bothered with that.

Thinking Warne lows in 30mm for a 6x MQ... If my reckoning is right (NEVER assured) the reticle alone will get my 168g Amax load to 1000y with a 230y zero.

If that's the case I doubt I'll touch the turrets much at all.

While I wait for the MQ the Bushy AR Optics will go on. The reticle on that will get me to 750+.

When the distributor gets some more in a there'll be a 6.5 CM Ruger Predator to accompany it to see What The. Be interesting to see how much the 308 gets shot thereafter.

I do love my 308s though.

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Went the Classic though was tempted Game Scout as I like the vertical grip.

No DBM.

The notion that I can engage to 1000y without adjusting is mind boggling for someone that 2 years ago thought 350 was a long shot.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A good LRF and glass that do as it's supposed,really opens windows of opportunity.

Wait 'til the Long Range 22LR bug bites you................

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
By the way Stick I've been in contact with your mate Colin at AtlasWorx and he's not far off producing alloy bottom metal for the A7 which'll be good with regard to the horrible plastic trigger guard and such.

There's talk of a DBM option too.

Putting the McMillan on hold while this plays out.

What are the thoughts on the Warne 30mm Maximas with the Maxima bases?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
He's good people,for certain.

DBM neatly nips alotta things and the added COAL sure is nice on a long throated 308...which they all are.

Tough to whoop Maxima's for going low...............

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Was able to pick the A7 up today. Still waiting on scope and rings but mounted up and bore sighted a Redfield 4-12 and cleaned the bbl. Ran out of light to sight her in.

Did take a measurement of the internal dimensions of the magazine. Max length is 2.907 which is more generous than I expected. Looks like enough meat in the front of the mag to dremel out another 0.1" or more.

My other 308s generally have engaged the lands about 2.91 with a 168g Amax so the likelihood of a good solid smooch looks near assured with that bullet.

At what length do the 155g Scenars engage the lands in the ave SAAMI Chamber, anyone able to tell me? I'm likely to use 155g Dyers which are a very similar profile but don't have any on hand at prez.

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Sooo I just did an OAL check with the 168 Amax. It engages the lands at 2.891" in the A7's chamber.

This is the A7 mag...

And this is a dummy 168g Amax seated to 2.895"...

Barring a plane falling out of the sky, some prelim shooting will occur after work tomorrow arvo. Could be interesting. I'll report in for anyone interested.

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
I dunno if anyone other than Stick and me are still reading this thread, but feel compelled to stay the course...

In a 75kph wind (may not impress Alaskans and Canadians, BUT I'M NOT USED TO IT!) I managed one shot at 75y to check zero then two x three shot groups at 150y to see what the hell, before it started HAILING on me...

Didn't have any handloads assembled for this rifle, just used some 165g Hotcors loaded for an old banger I recently traded away. Adjusted zero between the above groups and thought it was promising.

This is the interesting bit I think; this A7 has a very very minimum spec chamber. About one in three of the handloads would not chamber. In the process now of assembling some loads and the die needs to be right down on the shellholder to get fired brass to chamber. Really RIGHT DOWN.

Going to kick off with the 168g Amax (green tip version) and will try R17 of all things, due that I got great speed and accuracy with my 26" single shot. (I've also got 3 kilos of it and don't know what to do with it!)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Snug chambers and throats are GREAT news.

As per always,simply set the die to control headspace,moving no more brass on the datum,than that which is mandatory...............

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Yes I thought it was a good thing. With the die on the shellholder I've got that nice "feel" they talk about on closing the bolt.

Keen to see how she do with some fair dinkum loads. Weather outlook is fair...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Hopefully the winds settles and you can shake the bitch out,fair and square.

Sister launched an obscene amount of Skinners yesterday and ran me the fuck out of loaded ammo in the crummy.

THAT don't often happen........................(grin)

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Well the R17 didn't set the world afire, 1.2 moa 5 shot groups with three different charge weights was OK but not as good as the ancient clunker hand loads I was using the other day. Velocity was ho hum too around 2650fps with the middle charge weight and 168g Amaxes.

Had three each of the old hand loads that would actually chamber of 150 Core Lokts and 165 Hot Cors. Shot those three of each at 260y and they were not the worst considering the chrono said they were doing only 2550 and 2480fps respectively...

Core Lokts at top right; Hot Cors centre. Right to left breeze.

I'm presently out of anything in the mid burn range so not gonna do anything until I get my hands on some H4895 (AR2206H) which just always seems to work out for me in the 308Win, with 125 to 168 grainers.

Rifle is nice to shoot. Points well. Bolt runs smooth and well though lugs seem tight. I am thinking that's probably not a bad thing.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
One of many reasons why I don't bother to shoot paper,until I've found pressure.

Been making due with AA-2495 and Skinner Smooches in a 21" at 2750fps,ala Ball Burping Brass in AICS DBM's.

Dope is sinister...................

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Have 1000x Dyer 155g VLDs on the way directly. Figure 2850fps should be a cynch with H4895 and with the Scenar-dupe profile they should fly flat and true enough for this L-Plate driver.

Suspect I might need to Dremel the front of the mag to kiss the Dyers.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Have never seen/shot a Dyer...so be sure to spill your guts.

Was playing with a 1-7" 5R 243Win SAAMI 20" SPR contoured Krunchenticker spout today and it reminded me how much I hate 308's.....................(grin)

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Pleased to hear you must have found that barrel wrench!

Actually I really had the shits after that outing with the R17 and felt certain I'd buggered something up. Went back and checked the seating depth I was using and it seems I wasn't getting a good consistent kiss.

I stretched the oal out to 2.898 which still functions well through the mag but was also smootching square. Put together some more loads, a little more coal on the fire and after checking zero and chrony speeds shot the below groups again at 260y (arbitrated by the convenient location of a dead gum tree that distance from my bench).

Used the same target as the day before hence the patch outs.

In truth the centre left group is all the speed I need and if that level of accuracy holds or I can consistently get anything like that, I am set like a jelly.

Guts will certainly be spilled re the Dyers. The target boys shoot them by the wheelbarrow load here and they're reputed. Will be keen to see if they do the trick on pigs.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Nice to muddle through a few...if only to never haveta muddle another.

Shit starts clicking fast and the obvious becomes more than a touch glaring.................

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Yes so true, much of that has begun to solidify for me of late.

Sincerely thankful for the help. Took the rifle out to 260 again this arvo and got groups (3 shot) of 0.6" and a woeful 1.9" which was the result of a pulled first shot.

I can live with 1.9" at 260y though... :)

Thanks again. Rifle is good.

What's next?

Feral

Jul 28, 2010
bobnob said:
Pleased to hear you must have found that barrel wrench!

Actually I really had the shits after that outing with the R17 and felt certain I'd buggered something up. Went back and checked the seating depth I was using and it seems I wasn't getting a good consistent kiss.

I stretched the oal out to 2.898 which still functions well through the mag but was also smootching square. Put together some more loads, a little more coal on the fire and after checking zero and chrony speeds shot the below groups again at 260y (arbitrated by the convenient location of a dead gum tree that distance from my bench).

Used the same target as the day before hence the patch outs.

In truth the centre left group is all the speed I need and if that level of accuracy holds or I can consistently get anything like that, I am set like a jelly.

Guts will certainly be spilled re the Dyers. The target boys shoot them by the wheelbarrow load here and they're reputed. Will be keen to see if they do the trick on pigs.
Bob,
What bullets were you using in the groups shown above? (168gr Amax?)
I have a bit of Rl-7 and a .308 that is giving me grief. Thinking I will give your load a try..
Thanks!

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Yes mate it's the 168g Amax though these ones have green tips and sold in bulk as Zmax. Same things.

49g of R17, FC brass, CCI 200, and a firm smooch which was the key to bringing it together. The kiss also helped me to find the operating pressure I needed in my humble view.