data-csrf="1711701895,6d8c7a42804f97c85661952e8a423ddd" sight question | As Real As It Gets

sight question

Painless

Administrator
question for you pistola guru's. My colt commander 45acp is shooting 6-8 inches low and left. I can fix the left but the vertical is a whole nuther ball game. My good buddies JDS and Pullit have me going in the right direction but I need a little more help. I am going to buy a new front and rear sight, I like night sights so that is what I want. The fronsight I have now is .185 tall, how low do I go with the new front sight. I can get .170 to .160 which one should I go with?

jds44

Nov 18, 2007
East of pullit, West of Painless
I'm sure there's a math formula that can tell you, but I ain't that good at math. I'd get both and see which one works.

Or file on the stock one until it's dead on, measure it, and then get a new one in that height.

Painless

Administrator
I like the filing idea but after I got finished with it there might be nothing left. You do know who you are talking to......Blake

P.S. I still have that holster, I need to bring it by your house or we need to hook up and get some lunch....

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
If you're shooting too low, just get closer to the target. When you start seeing powder burns on the paper, you're there. :grin:

Here's the formula to figure out how much you need to remove from the front sight:
sight radius X error ÷ distance (make sure all of your measurements are in inches)

Subtract this number from the height of your current front sight, and you'll know what you need for a new sight height.

Keep in mind that this new height will work with your existing rear sight. If you're changing the rear to night sights, as well, you may have to start over if they are not the same height.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I think the sight height is the measurement of the actual sight post, not the dovetail. A quick call to Brownells would get you a better answer than my "I think" answer, though.