data-csrf="1713912135,8afcfb4c848d9ab8bbf83db4e5f78d61" Sleepers Happen................ | As Real As It Gets

Sleepers Happen................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Never have liked the chambering,but have had quite a few of 'em,running the gamut Sako and Big Green. 24" is way too much spout for me,when burning less than 27grs of powder.

21" being familiar Territory. Beautiful and flawless.

Sparks don't show too well with flash.(grin)

NIB 6x MQ to the rescue,in Burris XTR 2-piecers. Rifle arrived in Today's mail and I have inclined rails enroute,but for the application,I can suffer the multi-piecers. SWFA Low's,mainly because they are easily amongst the lowest.

Boresight,shoot a trio at paper,bump windage (2) "clicks" to the right and shoot come-ups,while laying moly down. Bore is rougher than a fucking cob and once moly does it's thang,shit will get round.

Kiss,roll 26.5grs of '335 to a 40 'Max Smooch and that's a wrap. Starline Virgins deviate less than a grain in total and average 92.grs with nice consistency. Size 90% of neck,run away from the shoulder,VLD deburr the opening,seat 400's and dat's it. Prolly won't even trim after forming,as OEM spouts are rather generous,in said regard. Called it 3500fps,never shot over the chronograph and fucked around to 500yds,confirming same.

Will flog on it,hate it and rebarrel to High RPM 223AI for 88's.

Standard fare,the end.......................

Apr 3, 2010
Looks like a good rig for a prairie dog town. Never shot a triple deuce.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've never liked the Deuce for anything,as it's simply a good waste of a 223/223AI receiver.

There was some major assembly issues,that were far from correct,but easily resolved. The safety was missing the detent ball and flapped like a screen door in the wind. Striker assembly was wayyyyyyyyy overlubed internally. Bolt release had pin in backwards and not seated deep enough(radiused end was on pivot point and fucked shit up).

REALLY tempted to yard it apart and dump a M-16 DBM in the guts. Feeds/functions great now...after opening up 'lips,but 10rds in a Magpul or similar(no COAL concerns),do call.

Decisions,decisions....................

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Rattle can paint job? If so, what brand of paint? Any special prep? Any other tips would be appreciated.

I've got a couple that could use a coating but they arent worth sending off for cerakote or other.

I've use the brownells aerosol version of gun kote that requires baking, but the matte black turned out pretty glossy for me.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Typically ALWAYS rattle can,but this is Cerakote. Rustoleum gets alotta air time.

I generally sand with 80-ish grit,so the paint actually sticks.....................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Couldn't stand it...had to dab the lug and remove the speed bump.

I'd wager on round groups in the AM...................

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
That's a classy setup.

I've never ran cerakote much, outside of pistols. Does it hold up any better than well prepped Krylon + clear? I've got a bunch of it sitting on the shelf, but I've just been too lazy to come up with a way to bake something like a long gun.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Growing up, my uncle had a .222 in a BDL, which he used to kill everything. I always liked that rifle and planned to own one. About 15 years ago, my dad bought an older BDL Varmint in the same caliber. His shoots better than my uncles. About 5 years later, I came across a late model BDL Varmint and snatched it up.

I know it's not as fancy or as fast as other calibers, but I can't see not owning one.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I made some still FAMOUS shots in my Teens,with a 700 BDL Deuce...but have always much preferred the 223 to it. Even as a kid,guys would ask me "what chambering should I get?" and I'd always reply "223" and took 'em years to listen and get a clue.(grin) I had a pile of Swifts 22-250's and everything that hauled ass,but the 223 just connects so many dots sooooooooo easily. Especially today.

Pard came by earlier for Krunchenticker Klass and we just got back from shooting his 18" rifle gas S/S Wylde 7" Peezer,that we'd just put together. I told him that it doesn't do him any fucking good,if I just assemble and hand it to him. After the fact,he was glad I had him do it. 40 MOA 'Horn's,NIB Illuminatti and Lever' 75 Hornie HPBT's in 10rd ASC's to the rescue,with a CMC Flatty.

Fuck The Deuce......................(grin)

Reactions: Rolltide

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
That's a classy setup.

I've never ran cerakote much, outside of pistols. Does it hold up any better than well prepped Krylon + clear? I've got a bunch of it sitting on the shelf, but I've just been too lazy to come up with a way to bake something like a long gun.

Paint has never aspooked me and is soothin'...just like Reloading. Was on a good tear today and got caught up on 250gr Berry's for a Lever Gun.

ALL I could do,not to call James today and tell him to get a 7" RPM 223 barrel coming,so I can holster yet another Deuce..................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The 'Horn called earlier in the day and we were talking rifles and what not,then he kinda mentioned out of the blue "how 50's suck"...after banging around with 75's for so long(and he was talking Dick Rifle). I sorta laughed and mentioned how when everything is by itself,it's "good",but side by each extrapolations REALLY change that flavor.

Long story short,I'm DONE. Shot up the hunnert 50's I loaded last night and yerked the scope,so as to not be tempted to load anything else.(grin) Then I slammed said scope(3-15x MQ DM2 SFP) aboard a 8" Teeker '250. The poor 6x MQ is sad and lonely.

Am gonna' make a sandwich,poke some Kroil in base holes and pop the barrel off,so as to REALLY never be tempted. Will poke a pipe wrench on the spout,just to double make sure! It was kinda/sorta fun while it lasted(not really) and it screams for a 7" 223 spout replacement at 21".

This Peer Pressure shit,gets one to thinking!.....................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
4lb GB swinging for the fence,with heat and Kroil...no joy on the spout.

Impact Gun time,or admit defeat and send it to Kali?

Any bets?!?....................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
It often pays to be a Trained Professional and seldom like this morning's thoughtful awareness

Started the morning off with a Kroil soak and heat. Beat shit off my shelves and popped a lightbulb,to no avail. Scritched my head and figured it was time,to roll out the High Tech Hardware and use THE finest of touches.

Had never seen a $4.72 nut before,but it was Grade 8(or was at least billed as such). CAREFULLY scribed a mark in the parking lot of the store and then a pard in his Work Crummy rolled in,chasing parts. Looked in his bed and there lay a greasy HydraShear. Must be nice to be Big Time,because I've chopped wayyyyyyyy more wire rope with a double-bit axe and a hammer,than I ever HydraShered! Figured it a nice touch,to put a pinch on the bitch.

Then it was a simple matter of entering the Environmentally STERILE Clean Room and affixing the $4.72 nut. Do NOT underestimate how much time is involved,in such a paintaking process. I bet it took 3 seconds to place the nut on the pinch!

From there,the Patient was lovingly rolled on a gurney,to The Surgical Ward. Delicate Hand Tools were CAREFULLY incorporated. Sooooooooo fucking Delicate in fact,that a 3/4" Brain Wrench didn't have enough ass.(grin)

I called in a favor,because I know The Surgeon well and upsized to a 1" Brain Wrench.

I knew she'd either cum or bleed!

A right Proper Assortment of High Tech Tooling is paramount,in such endeavors and there are those who would have acted hastily,less such Methodical Finesse. Years of experience,once again shone brightly!

Now is when I get VERY fucking nervous,because the ball is outta my court and I have to entrust my Pristine Wares to another. Let's just say,that if The Kali Kid gets so much as a fucking scratch on this,I will KNOW and am prepared to say bad words in a loud volume.

Whooped 'em again Josey!........................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The Kali Kid was brazen enough to ask me "will the bolt still go in it?" and I told him "doesn't matter...because I won!".

Folks sure are quick to lose sight of the IMPORTANT stuff.....................

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
  • Deleted by hangunnr
Show…

Hondo64d

Feb 19, 2015
The Big Country
It often pays to be a Trained Professional and seldom like this morning's thoughtful awareness

Started the morning off with a Kroil soak and heat. Beat shit off my shelves and popped a lightbulb,to no avail. Scritched my head and figured it was time,to roll out the High Tech Hardware and use THE finest of touches.

Had never seen a $4.72 nut before,but it was Grade 8(or was at least billed as such). CAREFULLY scribed a mark in the parking lot of the store and then a pard in his Work Crummy rolled in,chasing parts. Looked in his bed and there lay a greasy HydraShear. Must be nice to be Big Time,because I've chopped wayyyyyyyy more wire rope with a double-bit axe and a hammer,than I ever HydraShered! Figured it a nice touch,to put a pinch on the bitch.

Then it was a simple matter of entering the Environmentally STERILE Clean Room and affixing the $4.72 nut. Do NOT underestimate how much time is involved,in such a paintaking process. I bet it took 3 seconds to place the nut on the pinch!

From there,the Patient was lovingly rolled on a gurney,to The Surgical Ward. Delicate Hand Tools were CAREFULLY incorporated. Sooooooooo fucking Delicate in fact,that a 3/4" Brain Wrench didn't have enough ass.(grin)

I called in a favor,because I know The Surgeon well and upsized to a 1" Brain Wrench.

I knew she'd either cum or bleed!

A right Proper Assortment of High Tech Tooling is paramount,in such endeavors and there are those who would have acted hastily,less such Methodical Finesse. Years of experience,once again shone brightly!

Now is when I get VERY fucking nervous,because the ball is outta my court and I have to entrust my Pristine Wares to another. Let's just say,that if The Kali Kid gets so much as a fucking scratch on this,I will KNOW and am prepared to say bad words in a loud volume.

Whooped 'em again Josey!........................(grin)

Wonder how much velocity you lost by cutting the barrel down that much. Will the nut allow you to adjust harmonics? 😂😂😂

John

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Teeker has yet to have an idea,THAT good.(grin)

There was a time when I could flat swing an axe and I'm fairly certain,that I still get by...when shit came raining down this morning,I was screaming in laughter.

I reserve the right,to crack me up!...........................