data-csrf="1711688832,56f43afd137d80e893612c0afe562bbc" Stainless steel | As Real As It Gets

Stainless steel

westernsloper

Nov 16, 2019
I know Big Stick and others are big proponents of stainless steel rifles. That makes sense, especially living in a maritime climate. For those of us in the dry west, I’m curious how big of a concession it is to use a chrome moly rifle.

For those of you who live in wet climates, how big is the difference between the two types on metal in terms of corrosion resistance?

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I live in a mostly dry climate, but I seem to find a way to get soaked often enough.

Stainless is not the end-all of firearms maintenance, but I'd much rather have it than not. I think it makes a big enough difference, to offset any cost difference. I guess I don't see what advantages (besides cost) CM brings to the table that would offset the lack of corrosion resistance?

I'm rather shocked that there aren't more stainless shotguns on the market. Every one I've ever hunted with has at least some rust on it.

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
Regardless of metal type, I always run some Eezox in the bore when storing. I've never had any issues in the humid Southeast.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The only thing that touches my bores,are bullets.

Fortunately,this arid climate is VERY forgiving...............(grin)