data-csrf="1713974786,eae13f23e78ff55107bd26f98ee07b0b" Trued vs Untrued actions | As Real As It Gets

Trued vs Untrued actions

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
New member here drawn in from the great banter I've observed. You guys get it.

Question: What's this group's general consensus on action truing?

I've got both and find little difference in accuracy but wonder if my sample size is big enough? I've rarely had even a factory rifle (mostly 700s) that I couldn't get to shoot 5/8" or a fair amount better and my untrued 222 with douglas shoots pin holes. This has got me thinking that I'm done with full on customs. I do the normal treatsies like good stocks, trigger tinkrin, & bedding and they just shoot. Thoughts? I wanna cut the unnecessary BS and I'm all ears.

Put this in the custom rifles section because the next stick is gonna be a 7-08 with a 10x fixed. Gotta get the ball rollin.

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
I'm moving more towards screw on barrels every day and getting away from machine threads/chambers. If you true receiver rings, you relegate yourself to a 'smith. I think screw-on barrels can produce same. My $.02.

Oh yeah, I hate waiting on slow 'smiths too. Waited 15 months on one full build and 12 months on another. I'm done with that.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Only 2nd group on paper,I've ever shot with this rifle. 1st group was under 3/4"(first 3-shots out of the spout),then I went to clangin' 900yd steel,laying down moly and the like.

Caught some nice weather this morning,so hung a hasty 100yd trio to see WTF and ain't too pissed. Was mainly focusing on 50yd 22LR Pistole Shit,but figured it were only "fair" to say I done it and see how it reacted.

I know less than nothing about the action and got it from a pard,to throw in a flat top McMillan stock. Did lap lugs and headspace barrel to sized Alpha Kreedmire Virgins,for POSITIVE initial headspace. 147 ELD's kissing square outta AICS OEM mags(2.875" Smooch),200's and 39.5grs of '17. ES/SD is dick nothing and 2735fps.

For conversation,I should file the receiver face cricked,after I SawzAll the barrel to 21",if only for giggles.

Changed bedding a smidge last night,to fucking FLOAT and it reaps 31.5 Mils of erector travel,from a 200yd zero. I'd call the above group fair to middlin',for gunning a non-swivel Harris 9-13" with a frozen dick stabbed in the ice and "recoil" diggin' the bipod feet into the somewhat thawing muck. Had I been serious,I'd of tossed the 'pod,went full MPAJ from a ruck and got serious. Haven't had it out past the 1800yd line,but it WILL fuck with heads.

NSS Criterion RemAge 1-8" Varmint Kreedmire at 26". Barely have 100rds through it and no trace of fouling weirdness(has yet to see a patch) and it's CBS sanctity is beyond fucking solid. It's a GOOD Little Bitch.

It'll be a fucking PEACH at 21".

Now as to the "True It" or "Fuck It" approach,I'd say that I've PURPOSELY induced HUGE tolerances on purpose and shit be forgiving'er than fuck on the always. Whatcha' CAN'T do,is feed something shit ammo,shit glass,shit mounts,shit bedding or fuck up fasteners. If you start at the fucking start,things will ALWAYS fucking shine brightly. If it don't,there's something GLARING that you missed outta the gate and should NOT have. Hint.

The 82 Trick Move shit has always cracked me the fuck up!

My sole concerns on a 700 based 7-08,would be twist/throat/COAL...just like everything fucking else.(grin) To his credit and my great suplize,when I called James to order the above spout,he had reamer specs literally in his hand(Kiff's .199" throat which is .001" shy of SALAMI). Such intel is beyond "handy" and I could extrapolate within .005" of where I'd be in COAL,given the dimensioning he cited to me. Understand however,that is a sample of (1). Re-understand,that I'll be fucking ordering more.(grin)

Anywhoo...for said project(700 based 7-08),I'd be thinking AICS footprint DBM with binderless mags and 162's. Haven't really had the weather to wring the 162 ELD M Bitches right the fuck out,but there's promise inherent. I've yet to have a throat "too short",but have had fucking oodles TOO fucking long. Both OEM and Custom. The bigger the "Name",the bigger the fuck up(s),as per my wallet thus far.

Anytime someone starts talking .000000001" tolerances...hang the fucking phone up,laugh and make another call elsewhere.................(hint)

ridgeline

Mar 22, 2009
australia
Hope the weather holds so you can get to SawZallin' sooner rather than later! lookin' forward to the 21" chop feed back...

KILLER build! glad to hear that the NSS criterion RemAge deal is for real... I can see a Barrel Nut rig in my near future...

Pat85

Mar 8, 2015
Pa.
dakotagun said:
New member here drawn in from the great banter I've observed. You guys get it.

Question: What's this group's general consensus on action truing?

I've got both and find little difference in accuracy but wonder if my sample size is big enough? I've rarely had even a factory rifle (mostly 700s) that I couldn't get to shoot 5/8" or a fair amount better and my untrued 222 with douglas shoots pin holes. This has got me thinking that I'm done with full on customs. I do the normal treatsies like good stocks, trigger tinkrin, & bedding and they just shoot. Thoughts? I wanna cut the unnecessary BS and I'm all ears.

Put this in the custom rifles section because the next stick is gonna be a 7-08 with a 10x fixed. Gotta get the ball rollin.
In the grand scheme of things I think its just fluff, as the .0001 tolerances that gets thrown around. Good chamber, threads, shoulder machined perpinduclar to the centerline of the barrel which isn't difficult to do with good machining practices. 22" of good barrel will steer that bullet in the right direction.

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Good info, guys. Thank you.

I ran a criterion in 6.5x47 L on a savage for one season and mine shot just the same. I ran RL 15 and 123's at the time. It was a sweetheart but I moved to more 6mm stuff.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Halfway to happiness...with balance now at the barrel nut's radius transition,at the first chop(23.5").

The Final Chop will be PERFECTION................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
264 Kreedmire,Rem Hunter,Alpha brass,Re-17,AICS bindered mag Smooches and it's prolly a hoot.

It'll be better with the 2oz Shilen trigger..................

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
The only reason I could see truing an action is if shooting competitive benchrest. You don't leave anything on the table when competing where shaving 0.001" off a group matters.

For field use, that $200-300 of machine work is much better spent on putting together practice rounds.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've often lapped lugs with a donor spout and casehead for boltface contact...then simply sized a lug to dictate the headspace of my whim.............

LOBO

Dec 9, 2007
Mississippi
Big Stick said:
264 Kreedmire,Rem Hunter,Alpha brass,Re-17,AICS bindered mag Smooches and it's prolly a hoot.

It'll be better with the 2oz Shilen trigger..................
Thanks for the info Stick. Is 1/8 the preferred twist for a 6.5 CM?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
8" would be a minimum for me...because the ONLY way boolits get better,is to become longer.

Reserve RPM/COAL,is simply money in the bank.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Given a choice,I'd be groovin' on a .125" freebore throat. That'll do nice thangs with 147 ELD's in OEM confines and keep the door wide fucking open for future unveilings.

That rifle really is a NASTY Little Bitch................(grin)