data-csrf="1713622932,342ad27e446596092a3f086bbf18fb84" Ultralight scope shit storm... | As Real As It Gets

Ultralight scope shit storm...

Rman

Jun 4, 2008
Calgary, Canada
I am ready to glass up my "light done completely done wrong" project. I am looking at two scopes. The VX-II 3-9X33, and the FX-II 6X36. I know the 6X42 rules the roost, but I really don't feel I need the larger objective for where, and how, I hunt. I have plenty of other options to choose from for larger objective scopes. The deal is the weight. The 3-9 is lighter, by a set of Talleys, than the 6X36, and because of that, that would be the way I would like to roll, unless its a complete goat fuck of a scope. Then again, I do run 4.5-14's and like them.
Let me have it...
R.

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
I thought about a 2.5 x 8 VXIII for my future Faux. Not sure what the weight is on it though, looked like a decent scope. Course that thought went away when I stumbled on another 6x42.

406 SBC

Jun 5, 2010
I run a couple of 3x9X33 scopes and you have to accept a big concession with eye relief. IME using 6X+ on a light rifle is apt to catch the brow if you're launching anything over .257 diameter projectiles. The weight reprieve seems a reasonable benefit for the eye relief, but others will certainly disagree.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
6x42 no doubt.
I've never been one to give up performance for a few ounces.
I'd fart or something when I got out of the truck if I felt the need to loose a couple ounces..............grin

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I hate the 3-9x Compact and the 6x36 both...if only because I have both.

6x42 for the win,by landslide...................

standeford

Feb 3, 2009
Tennessee
I put a VXII 3-9x33 on my first Montana. My bike racing days left me gram obsessed.

It sits on a rimfire these days, the weight isn't worth what you give up.

RiverOtter

Dec 20, 2007
B.C.
Had the "priviledge" to test drive a 3-9x33, so managed to dodge that bullet decisively. Went the 6x42 WD ala M1 route instead and couldn't be happier.....

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Ease and speed of acquiring a sight picture,brightness and the warm/fuzzy.

Don't think that it'd piss me off,that shit that cost less,worked better...though in fairness,the 6x42 do just that to a shitload of contenders.(grin)

The '36 ain't in a like realm or even fucking close................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm just not into fiddle-fucking around and am quick to grab the good shit,instead of purposely suffering concessions.

The 6x42 remains my pick of the litter for getting on movers QUICK and you simply wouldn't begin to believe...............(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Lotsa shit is "good",until it's compared side by each with sumptin' that actually is.(grin)

I've long been a fan of the side by each R&D extrapolations,mainly because they bear the most fruit.............

Steven

Feb 26, 2012
Nebraska
Has anyone tried the FX-3 6x42? I'm thinking of replacing the 3-9x33 on my Montana, for the reasons previously mentioned. I figure it could find a home on a 77/17.

ridgeline

Mar 22, 2009
australia
Iv'e got 6x42's in FX-3 and FX-111 nomenclature, i don't fret the difference ...

I tripped my 3-9x33 many moon's ago...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Steven said:
Has anyone tried the FX-3 6x42? I'm thinking of replacing the 3-9x33 on my Montana, for the reasons previously mentioned. I figure it could find a home on a 77/17.
All I have is the old nasty shit,which prolly don't even fucking "work".

Love to slick used ones up,but try hard not to scoop ADJ OBJ's.................

Steven

Feb 26, 2012
Nebraska
Big Stick said:
Steven said:

I'm probably going to go new on this one. Do you have to send the scope in to Leupold to get the elev turret installed?

I keep my eyes open for used ones, but they seem to go pretty quickly if the price is reasonable...must be a reason for that :)

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
For new scopes unless you get a sweet deal from a buddy wholesaler or find a score on Ebay, going straight to the Leupold custom shop will get you there for retail without a middle man.

Deals are out there if you look hard enough.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Steven said:
Big Stick said:
Steven said:

I'm probably going to go new on this one. Do you have to send the scope in to Leupold to get the elev turret installed?

I keep my eyes open for used ones, but they seem to go pretty quickly if the price is reasonable...must be a reason for that :)
Leupold will take care of you and the "wait" is typically slight at best.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
If a Duplex won't do it,it cain't be did.

Lotsa shit becomes very easy,when dealing death from crosshair intersection............

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Purchased a 3.5-10x40 from these guys a couple months ago.

Rink

Great price. Sending a PMO rather than a CC was worth it too. A quick trip to Leupold for an M1 made the turnaround in a week.

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
The only reason I have one 6X36 is I didn't pay careful enough attention on a fleabay auction for a "6X leupold". Thought I'd gotten quite the bargain until I unwrapped it.

It lives on my beeman R7, ok for popping stuff in the backyard, but the only two scopes I like on hunting rifles are the 6X42 and the 3.5-10X40.

Still need to send the 6X42's in for elevation turrets, and pick up a couple more 6X42's and another 3.5-10X40

Steven

Feb 26, 2012
Nebraska
Big Stick said:
Steven said:
Big Stick said:
Steven said:

Leupold will take care of you and the "wait" is typically slight at best.................
Why are the adjustable objective 6x42's to be avoided?

Pappy

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Steven said:
What reticle are you are you liking the best?

The LR duplex seems pointless with the ability to dial.
I like them as almost all of the SA cartridges I shoot are dead on at 200 with the crosshairs, first dot down is 300 and second dot down is 400, top of duplex 500.
I sight my rifles in at 400 with the 400 yard dot and check the rest to make sure they are in the money. Cannot tell you how handy it is when gunning dogs, especially when multiples are in order. I do plenty of dialing when necessary but when quick is the game within 500 yards there is no better.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'll take 10 Mils on the windshield,with 5 Mils of wind to the left and the right. That approach is farrrrrrrrrrrrrr more precise,offers farrrrrrrrrrrrrr more subtention and farrrrrrrrrrrr easier to hold hard. All that while giving up nothing in speed/ease. It'll get a SAAMI Montucky 223/75's to the 1000yd line,from a 200yd zero.

Gave Benji the ocular BC Flip-up talk yesterday morning,about penning dope on same and he waltzed outta the office with a coupla Baby Man Painsticks.

Movers don't have a fucking chance,be it bolt gun or Krunchenticker.................

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
Dope on a scope works pretty good. Print, laminate with packing tape, attach with doublesided tape.

Only sucks if you need reading glasses.

Pappy

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Big Stick said:
I'll take 10 Mils on the windshield,with 5 Mils of wind to the left and the right. That approach is farrrrrrrrrrrrrr more precise,offers farrrrrrrrrrrrrr more subtention and farrrrrrrrrrrr easier to hold hard. All that while giving up nothing in speed/ease. It'll get a SAAMI Montucky 223/75's to the 1000yd line,from a 200yd zero.

Gave Benji the ocular BC Flip-up talk yesterday morning,about penning dope on same and he waltzed outta the office with a coupla Baby Man Painsticks.

Movers don't have a fucking chance,be it bolt gun or Krunchenticker.................
Junk

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've done it a number of different ways through the years. Spray painting the inside white and penning dope with a Sharpie,keeps shit in the meat seat in all weathers/conditions and wears well. Not enough surface area for tape to really do it's thing.

Baby Man PainSticks are handy like a bastard.............

JCM

Jan 8, 2013
Pappy said:
Steven said:
What reticle are you are you liking the best?

The LR duplex seems pointless with the ability to dial.
I like them as almost all of the SA cartridges I shoot are dead on at 200 with the crosshairs, first dot down is 300 and second dot down is 400, top of duplex 500.
I sight my rifles in at 400 with the 400 yard dot and check the rest to make sure they are in the money. Cannot tell you how handy it is when gunning dogs, especially when multiples are in order. I do plenty of dialing when necessary but when quick is the game within 500 yards there is no better.
My thoughts exactly. I love dialing, but dots are quick and nothing ever moves. I like simple.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Don't matter if it's right at the 1000yd line.

Or a matter of a few yards.

Orrrrrr...even closer or further................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I think it coulda been did.

The 4 Mil wind hold off on the Iggle,cracks me up,as Sleeper Ball Fodder do require some English................

Supper

Jun 2, 2008
WY/UT
16Bore said:
Lost my Stickionary....
http://www.markal.com/liquid-paint-markers/pro-line/

These are what I remember the warehouse in Milne stocking. I don't care for markal brand anymore, but don't have any of the gooduns handy to hang pics of.