data-csrf="1713577329,9519c37657a10d6eaed5dc6d4c86de18" What am I doing wrong, 243LBC loading issue | As Real As It Gets

What am I doing wrong, 243LBC loading issue

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
Not sure what I am doing wrong but I'm unable to seat 105BTHP without crushing them.

I am using 6.5 Grendel Lapua brass that I sized in a 6.5 Grendel Type S FL die with a .269 TiNi bushing and no expander. This gives me .003 constriction. (dummy measures .272 at the neck)

I setup my 6mm PPC seater after cleaning it and I make a dummy. I make a second dummy and it crushes the bullet, I try for a third and it crushes the bullet and the neck of the case.... Hmm I pull the die apart and re-clean and set it up again and I have the same situation of the dummy being fine and subsequent dummies have crushed bullets. The only thing I can think is that there is too much constriction and that the first dummy isn't effected since I am making small adjustments to get to the final COAL vs the second and third dummies which I can feel much more resistance when seating.

I setup the seater like always which is per the Redding instructions. Do I need to resize with an appropriate expander and bushing? I hope I didn't just fuck 300 Lapua cases.

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
Id be suspicious that you may have a thick section in your neck close to the shoulder junction. If you have a 6mm expander mandrel maybe try and put that through and see where your tension is. Do you have any bigger neck bushings?

gbp

Sep 16, 2008
New Mexico
I believe redding changed their tension recommendation from .003 to .001 , if memory serves and try a different seater stem (vld)

https://www.redding-reloading.com/tech-line-a-tips-faqs/140-bushing-selection

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I'd back that die up off the shellholder a bit and chase the seating stem down to get the right depth, just to make sure there's no contact at the shoulder.
The crush you're showing in that pic is either from the die, or you have a serious donut in there - really serious. But I doubt that.

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
Thanks everyone. I backed the die out another full revolution and its still crushing bullets but not as much.

I'll order a 6mm expander and a .271 bushing and see if I can salvage the lot.

Pappy

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Q-tip swab inside of necks with neolube no.2 and all your troubles will be gone!

http://www.newmantools.com/chemicals/neo2pds.htm

Pappy

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
maybe you won't, I just looked at the site and i either forgot how much that shit costs or price went way up, i guess I will put the 2oz bottles I have in the safe, would buy it again in a heartbeat though.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I took a look at your pic on a decent monitor, and I was certainly wrong about the cause - with all that bullet deformation, it isn't the seating die! Check out this old thread from BR Central: http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?92529-What-s-causing-donut-ring-in-case

Sounds pretty close to your issue!

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Crazy though, or maybe not.

Looking at the pic on a monitor I see what looks like a fair amount of scraping down the neck most of the way as if the neck was partially run into a sizer or......

Is it possible your seater die is bad and actually squeezing the neck of the case not allowing the neck to expand and accept the bullet?

Maybe try marking up a neck with a Sharpy and just running the seater down on it with out a bullet to see if it makes contact. Then mark up and run one of your dummies with a bullet to see if that rubs.

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
I had some Dasher brass that started doing that.

Annealed the brass and started using a mandrel and have not had any more issues.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Mic a sized neck...then run it through the sizer without a bullet and mic the constriction.

Nothing to it..............