data-csrf="1711635937,faa2bf11f9c8d175e7eccc1d47f044d8" What arrows are you guys shooting | As Real As It Gets

What arrows are you guys shooting

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Been shooting the Gold Tip Pro series for serious target and hunting. I use the XT series for 3-D. It's tough to beat GT for durability.

CR

dvdegeorge

Dec 7, 2007
Western NY
Blake I'm shooting Gold Tip Pro Hunters and have been for years...I have a 28 1/2" draw length and shooting a Heli-m @ 70lbs and using 5575 and a 100gr Slick Trick and every thing is great spine wise and flight wise, paper tuned....it's at the cusp of moving to the 7595 but in my set up I'm good to go with the 5575's

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Can't comment on the spine comparisons. GT did change their chart in recent years. My set up used to call for the 55/75 weight but now calls for the 75/95. The weight difference is really a moot point in a hunting shaft.

My new PSE X-Force Omen (70# 30") wouldn't group the 55/75's I'd been using. I just got my hands on some 75/95 shafts but haven't shot them yet.

CR

Painless

Administrator
Just wondering what you guys were using, my DL is 29" and my arrows are 29", which is about and 1" from the end of my rest. The broadhead or field point is still over the shelf of the bow but I wasn't sure if I needed to get arrows that were a little longer....Blake

Lawdwaz

Nov 25, 2008
DanH said:
Easton A/C/C. Durable as hell and shoot great...
Same here. 3/60 340. Been using them for 12 years or so out of two different bows. Every other year I'll grab another half dozen & fletch them up. I've bent a few but you need to try really hard.

DanH

Jan 15, 2009
Steuben County, NY
Lawdwaz said:
DanH said:
Easton A/C/C. Durable as hell and shoot great...
Same here. 3/60 340. Been using them for 12 years or so out of two different bows. Every other year I'll grab another half dozen & fletch them up. I've bent a few but you need to try really hard.
Yep. Same ones. I started shooting them about 8 years ago. I've only broken one. Deer had it sticking out of him and ran hard into a tree. The rest just got cleaned up, refletched and stuck back in the case.

Lawdwaz

Nov 25, 2008
Generally the reason for replacement for me is the same. Half a shaft hanging out of the side of the deer rattling off trees makes a mess of them. I don't loose to many unless I take a wild ass shot at a squirrel in a tree or something then they just go pinballin' around the woods.....

Not many bad shafts these days I'd think??

standeford

Feb 3, 2009
Tennessee
I shoot VIctory HVs as that is what the local shop has in stock mostly. I have shot a variety of others: Carbon Express, Gold Tips, Carbon Tech....can't really say I have preference.

Apr 3, 2010
I'm running uncut Carbon Heritage 250s in the longbow. They fly quite nicely.

rmorgan736

May 11, 2012
always liked too use carbon i shoot both recurve and compound just turn the nock and i can use them for both types of bows.

Spencer SS

Dec 5, 2007
da Bayou state
Grizzly-Stik Sitkas, 200gn Maasi, 620gn total, (deer-trad)

Grizzly-Stik Alaskans, 315gn Ashby, 800gn total, (bigger stuff-trad)

Easton FMJ Dangerous Games, 315 Ashby, 930gn total, (Anything I fucking want short of Dumbo- Compound)

Have many other old stock; CX Hert150/Bear Razorhead, 2315game-getters, .....

Spencer SS

Dec 5, 2007
da Bayou state
30338 said:
I'm running uncut Carbon Heritage 250s in the longbow. They fly quite nicely.
I shoot/shot them on my custom longbow; but that bitch is 65@ 28" and I haven't been able to legitametly shoot her since my back injury last year. I still need to kill some thing bigger than rabbits with it; hopefully I can build up the strenth.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
Laffin....

Yes, the early shafts would break when shot into a McKenzie. More like a partial break were they would seem bent. Since then I've hopped around. Easton, Carbon Express and I believe Beman too.

I've seem photos of carbons that went haywire upon release and its not pretty. Will definitely fuck your mitt up. Why I like the ACC with an aluminum core, a little piece of mind.

MarcS

Oct 21, 2010
California
In speaking of fucking up your mitt, this picture gives you an idea of what it would be like. Doesn't look like fun.

Here's a pic of a little 200 pounder I took a couple years ago with my old Matthews Conquest Pro, Easton ACC 360's and 100 grain Slick Tricks. 70 lbs and 29" draw.

RBOBM

Nov 15, 2012
gods country
what kind of arrow is that? How the hell did that happen?
MarcS said:
In speaking of fucking up your mitt, this picture gives you an idea of what it would be like. Doesn't look like fun.

Here's a pic of a little 200 pounder I took a couple years ago with my old Matthews Conquest Pro, Easton ACC 360's and 100 grain Slick Tricks. 70 lbs and 29" draw.

MarcS

Oct 21, 2010
California
I don't know I just found that picture on the Internet somewhere. I assume it's a carbon arrow that was under spined and snapped under the load when the string was released.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
That could be the case but I'm thinking the arrow had some issues. Defective maybe but my money is on it being damaged. Another arrow may have hit it while in the target, maybe an arrow that was shot once and missed the target then picked up wiped off and no mind was paid to it afterwards. When you buy arrows from say Eders or any non-proshop there's a detailed sheet that comes with the arrows. Let's say a precautionary disclaimer....'grin'

edgerat

Mar 4, 2011
Washington
It was damaged, no question. I have shot stupid noodle-soft arrows out of my EVO and they don't do that. For a hunting arrow, Easton Axis is all I need. There is a LOT of marketing hype out there about arrows. A lot of bad info. Easton has never let me down, can't the same for nearly every other arrow company out there.
Isaac

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I shoot axis, but have FMJ's I play with too.

I tried goldtip but everytime an arrow grazed one that was in the target it caused a little delamination in the arrow at the contact point. You could only really see it if you flexed the arrow causing the delam to bulge out. I now use them for decoy stakes for my full body mallards when in shallow water.

Looked like this:

The pics of the damage unflexed are after a few flexes. Its much more visible after you bulge it out a few times.
This isnt to say the GT's are bad arrows or any different than others. I just changed to something else for piece of mind. Its a bad idea to stack arrows in on one bullseye. 1 arrow for each is a good way to do things.