data-csrf="1711618001,14dfbfe4c935ea458a8cfb82d0d3193e" What makes Savages suck? | As Real As It Gets

What makes Savages suck?

westernsloper

Nov 16, 2019
I know Big Stick isn't too impressed with Savage rifles, as well as other people who are knowledgeable about guns. What is it about them that makes them not as good as something like a Remington 700? Is there something particular about their design that causes them to be less reliable as far as actions go?

I asked this question in another forum and a bunch of answers saying things like "I have one and it works for me." Or responses from people who just think they're ugly, as if that matters. Some people just don't like them. I guess I appreciate any input, but I was looking for things that actually teach me something about the Savage action. I don't own a Savage or feel any particular way about them, so you won't hurt my feelings.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've got about 37 thangs goin' at once,but if/when it slows,I'll grab some pics and explain.

Feed/Function is THE Salvage Bane. I've got one that's shot out (5) barrels and is on it's 9th,best I can recall.....................

WhiskeyTango

Dec 4, 2009
Colorado Springs
Have a ‘Bart barreled Savage in an A5 and while it’s very accurate, the cocking action is janky as hell and you can’t run it fast. Thinking about getting a bolt lift kit but don’t want to put more money into it.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Pretty much anything/everything shoots,but not everything feeds/functions relably.

Salvage is easily amongst the worst,on the average. Getting rounds in 'em,really ain't the thing...but getting them back out is,especially as cited,with some haste involved................

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
You can make a Savage shoot, no doubt about it. They're cheap to buy and easy to barrel; Easy to barrel used to be an advantage for them but doesn't hold water any more.

The weak link for Savage has always been several things for me: the extractors, the triggers and heavy bolt lift. You go to eject brass and it's still laying in the receiver. Not good if needing a quick follow-up shot. The triggers (including the accutrigger) just aren't where Remington triggers are (factory and aftermarket).

There are some pros on the Savage (which can also be cons). One being a multi-piece bolt with a floating head. The bolts just feel cheap to me but they work. They also have some decent gas handling. Want to re-barrel from large to small bolt face? Easy; Change your bolt head, pin, mag and a few other things and be on your way. Another pro is mag length is more than enough even for the .260s in a short action setup.

I slum one Savage for range work with a Criterion barrel. It flat out hammers. However, there is no pride in owning it and aftermarket parts are more of a bust. Resell on Savage also sucks....Better off buying a Remington (or clone for that matter).

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've never liked the sloppy boltheads,but have always liked the ability to headspace a barrel,to a good Lot of Virgins......................

westernsloper

Nov 16, 2019
I know there are bolt lift kits and "enhanced" extractor/ejector kits. Are these worth looking at? Or is it just throwing money and effort at something that isn't worth it? I have the chance to pick up a Savage action for very cheap, but I'd rather own rifles that work reliably even if they cost more. Seems like Remington is worth the extra money (not that they're that much more expensive).

Rman

Jun 4, 2008
Calgary, Canada
The whole Salvage bolt gun design and manufacturing process was built around cost. A lot of engineering went in to make a cheap rifle. The bolt design, bolt head and handle, as well as the barrel nut are all fine examples of this. Do they work? Absolutely! Do they have their advantages, other than price point? Some, yes. Are they a "good" rifle? That's where it gets tricky...

R.

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
Maryland, wishing it was TX
wife runs a .243 for deer and as stated, accuracy is great out of the fucker. bolt cycling is slow as shit though, so if you're not just throwin lead down the range, you're much more successful if you hit what you're trying to out of the gate. (grin)

for her purposes, though, it's great.

i think my creed bolt will prooooobably not be a savage though. Gave it plenty of thought, and at the end of the day I think just a trued 700 action from SSS and a remage barrel will be more than I need.