data-csrf="1711725174,76e0b1e2e0524f4927b19cdc9bd43b34" Which 18" upper from PSA to get? | As Real As It Gets

Which 18" upper from PSA to get?

Partagas

Nov 18, 2007
WY-the pretty part
Is the CHF FN "machine gun steel" barrel worth the extra $. It is #399 w/o a BCG or charging handle. For comparison the SS 1/7 MLok upper wtih BCG, CH is only $300. The other flavor PSA offers is a chrome-moly barrel Nitride coated. It is $370 w/ a BCG, CH, and Magpul MBUS sights which I don't care about but the version without them is out of stock. It is a 1/7 twist.
So I guess out of the three options here for barrels what are people suggesting, the SS, Nitride or the CHF for the extra dollars. The various uppers they offer vary in price mostly depending on if it is a standard MLok or a pricier Geissele gas block and hand guard. The CHF is a 1/8 vs the other two are 1/7 twists.

I know I can watch their sales and probably wait a little bit and find whichever one is the better issued for a sale price as they seem to churn through them fairly quickly.

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
I have the cheaper SS 1/7 twist lightweight MLok handguard, w/BCG & CH. It shoots better than I expected.

To start, I shot some generic 75 bthp loads and they hovered around an inch. Since then, I've been shooting up a bunch of factory fiocchi 50 grain vmaxs that I have on hand. They shoot an honest 5/8" @ 100 yards, and have done so on several occasions.

My buddy has the exact rifle minus a CMC trigger. His shoots 52 ultramax ammo under an inch. We put them together on a whim and were quite impressed with their accuracy.

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I fret contours and gas length,much more than a "FN" stamp.(grin)

I've got more than a few Peezer 18" S/S Rifle Gas bitches,as do more than a few pards and I've yet to see one not dazzle. Twist rates are largely moot,unless going Subsonic in COLD temps is an application.

The sub 400 Clam 18" S/S Rifle Kits(Rifle gas)...are a fucking STEAL...…………...