Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#187289 - 12/04/15 03:0 PM Re: New Side By Side [Re: Pappy]
Horse1 Offline
Chinese Corn Vulture
Booner

Loc: In the vicinity of dandihood
Originally Posted By: Pappy
I know what happens when I see a yote and my brain goes out the window with most of my shit and when all is said and done I am lucky to make it home let alone close all the doors or keep the wind from blowing through what used to be windows.

I've had my current 6.7L F-250 crossed up like a winged sprint car in 4WD in attempt to cut off coyotes.

#187290 - 12/04/15 04:0 PM Re: New Side By Side [Re: Horse1]
Pappy Offline
Fork

I have wrecked my fair share of outfits running dogs. You know when none of the doors shut on a new four door F350 you done something right, must have been a soft frame. Good thing it was a dealer loaner, betting they won't do that again.

#187312 - 12/04/15 09:0 PM Re: New Side By Side [Re: Pappy]
cwh Administrator Offline
Booner

Loc: Anchorage
The kid that had this one did some suspension work (fox shocks and rear leafs up front, and extended bilstein shocks in the back with Chevy springs.) It rides pretty good, but it is a solid axle toyota - never going to keep pace with a full IFS rig in a race, for sure.

I've been using it as a ladder brace/extension most recently.

#187922 - 12/22/15 08:0 PM Re: New Side By Side [Re: Pappy]
Driftin' Offline
Masher

Loc: Offshore
Originally Posted By: Pappy
I have wrecked my fair share of outfits running dogs. You know when none of the doors shut on a new four door F350 you done something right, must have been a soft frame. Good thing it was a dealer loaner, betting they won't do that again.

Maybe they went aluminum on the F350's too. *grin*

Laughed. Your local Ford dealer must love you....

#196927 - 09/28/16 09:0 PM Re: New Side By Side [Re: Driftin']
Booner

Another moose season without cupholders has come and gone. Coffee was nearly spilt, and yet no progress has been made. The situation is completely unacceptable. People are getting pissed, but that is the way of prioritization.

On other fronts, there has been progress - well, really only in the building of the flatbed. The plywood over bed rails, while nearly free, was a crappy way to roll. The bed had huge holes in it from a redneck fab shock mount hoop that extended a foot into the bed. That ate up too much space and was stupid tall for the shock mounting it provided. After I removed the bed, I zipped off the old shock mount and rebuilt it a little lower without compromising travel.

Yes, that is a real welding blanket... something about fuel lines and welding and... well, call me a pussy if you want.

Then it was on with the build for the bed frame, with goals being strong (enough to haul what I want) and lightweight (enough to not make me wish for the factory box) and not cock-blocking myself for future additions.

Frame is nearly complete here. All .120 wall 2" square tube except for mounts and toolbox supports. It is pretty light, but an awkward sob to move on and off, which needed to happen several times, of course.

Decked it with 3/4" (or whatever approximation of 3/4 Lowes sells these days) ply. I flip-flopped like Hillary on including the toolbox... glad I did, even though I had to block it up to make it fit. Genuine floor paint on the decking, and it seemed to hold up pretty well.

I was going to do stake pockets and rub rail for tie-downs, and probably would have if I'd had time to get materials, but limiting myself to 4 days proved to be a bad move. Had to work a few of those days and making a trip to AK steel during their business hours was just not in the cards. Ended up at AIH for something else, and saw the L-Track. It was more money than I wanted to spend, but there is nothing worse than not having tie-downs (ok, there are some things that are worse, but I'm not going to get into that). Anyway, grabbed a couple of those and pretty much called it done. Fuckers are handy... each clip is rated at 1300lbs or so - in case I want to hang the truck off them.

Little things like the fuel filler take a lot of time, and are really not fun. I'll probably build in some protection for that area if/when I add storage on the sides.

Another shot before the maiden voyage.

It just wouldn't be right if a guy didn't do a proper capacity test.

It seemed to work as intended...

Edited by cwh (09/28/16 09:0 PM)
Edit Reason: wrong picture

#196928 - 09/28/16 10:0 PM Re: New Side By Side [Re: cwh]
Booner

Answers to your questions (yes I do have ESP):

1. Yes, that welding cart is OSHA certified and perfectly safe, but I appreciate your concern.

2. Yes, that is Kirkland light beer. I know, Driftin' is going to give me shit for downgrading from his favorite currs.

3. Good eye - those shackles do need attention. Its on the list... get off my back.

4. No, that isn't a whole caribou on/in a Barney's pack. It is missing the hide off the rear quarters, the guts, and the rear feet.

5. No, it was considerably more awkward than it looks.

6. No, those are not Bugle boy jeans I'm wearing. They are the previously discussed 5.11's. Pretty nice pants. You can fit about 24lbs of shit into the pockets. 30lbs if you wear a belt.

#196932 - 09/29/16 01:0 AM Re: New Side By Side [Re: cwh]
Uncle Dave Administrator Offline
Booner

Holy shit! That's badass...

#196933 - 09/29/16 01:0 AM Re: New Side By Side [Re: Uncle Dave]
Paul H Offline
Masher

Loc: Alaska
Chris,

I have shop and truck envy. You still need to come over for beers, real ones.

Great picture with the kiddo and nice bou!

#196934 - 09/29/16 02:0 AM Re: New Side By Side [Re: cwh]
Driftin' Offline
Masher

Loc: Offshore
Your ES Perceptions must be waning a tad. Ya left the Ladder/4' LED fixture off your list. And who left the upscale Alaskan Amber bottle on your work bench?

Seriously, no seriously, nicely done all around. Congrats!

#196935 - 09/29/16 02:0 AM Re: New Side By Side [Re: Paul H]
Booner

Thanks guys...

Paul, don't get envious of the shop just yet. Its a shell of a really nice shop:) Swing by this weekend - Old lady is out of town and I am wrangling a kid. They'll make you take a test to prove you can drive a car, but they'll let anybody have a kid until they prove they can't.

Funny how you go sheep hunting and look at an animal and think: "Yeah, that's doable." And then you go there, possibly over the course of a couple days, and it may or may not be doable, but you learn something.

Then, you go back to work for 2 days and then go moose/caribou hunting. And even though you can run a manual transmission with a reasonable degree of competency, you can't shift your mind out of its sheep hunting mindset. So, despite the fact that your friends are killing caribou and driving their wheelers up to them at that very moment, you see a small group of caribou with literally nothing special in it way up on a ridge and think: Yeah, that's doable. And sure, it was doable. But it wasn't very smart. Little one and the old lady were waiting in the truck, and we had a river to cross yet. Oh well, smart folks have boring stories (Remember that time that we saw those caribou and decided they were too high/far away to go after? Do you remember what we did after that? Me neither. What's your name again? Good to meet you. How about these airline seats huh? Cramped enough for you?).

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 Registered (1 invisible), 104 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Fiteboss, Jamill451, Super_trucker, rgrx1276, DacianMH
1198 Registered Users
Top Posters
Big Stick 38320
Painless 6941
Prowler 4418
raghornjp 4051
cwh 3923
Calvin 3814
Uncle Dave 3685
Newest Photos
Boat Pictures
Can't leave sister out
Stick I know
I know Dan has some pics
you guys suck
Links
Seekins Precision < Kampfeld Custom < Pacific Tool & Gauge < Gene Ingram Knives < New Frontier Arms < Howe Mountain Knives < IT&D Custom Guns
Forum Stats
1198 Members
20 Forums
12080 Topics
202674 Posts

Max Online: 205 @ 11/24/16 11:0 AM